Really confused !!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by M1, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. M1

    M1 Guest

    Hi. Good day to you all.

    I am new to the field of computers [and so English :)] and I am having some
    difficulty figuring out the way speed is measured in a computer and any form
    of sending digital data from one end to the other. I am talking about
    internet speed , transferring data from or to an external hard drive or
    flash, CD ROM reading and writing, RAM reading, and so on.
    So , what is the standard unit for measuring speed in and around a computer?
    Is it:

    - bit per second, like kilobit per second (Kbps) or Megabit per second (Mbps)
    - byte per second, like kilobyte per second (KBps) or Megabit per second
    (MBps)
    - or is it measured by hertz, like megahertz (MH) or Giga hertz (GH)

    What is the difference between the three types?
    When are they used?
    Are they convertible?
    I have read some articles about the issue but it got even more confusing.
    Thank you very much in advance for taking your time.

    M1, Sep 24, 2008