    version for $133, but I can't see the difference. Perhaps someone a bit
    sharper will...;-)

    http://royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 2, 2006

  2. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    Their policies show some restocking fees, etc.
    http://royaldiscount.com/privacypolicy.html

    I also wish I could read that little white rectangular sticker on the box in
    the product image.
    Did all OEM versions have that sticker, or is that some kind of warning
    about the "promotional" package?

    DP, Jun 2, 2006

  3. Rule #1: If the price looks to be too good to be true? It is.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes it does. Has the hardware and license info

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2006
  5. Well they have a decent rating at resellerratings.com (based on a paltry 10
    ratings, but they seem somewhat legit.) They have a promo price of $113
    delivered on XP Pro as well. I'm always looking for OS deals for new company
    builds; might give them a chance...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 3, 2006
  6. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm with Charlie. The fact that there is no hardware requirement makes it
    suspicious. Probably a copy of a volume license. The sticker on the cover
    doesn't match the OEm as much as I can see and not sure what CD only means,
    but may not include the case shown.

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2006
  7. I agree, the sticker is covering the hardware requirements notice. And this
    is not at all the original cover. Small discrepancies, but I do not believe
    Microsoft issues variations to their designs. The Bar at the bottom has
    'air' below and towards the binding on my box.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 3, 2006
  8. well, I just got email from yet another person who opted for a price too
    good to be true. And is now regretting it.

    If you're buying enough to worry about it, then you should be on volume
    licensing anyway.

    I would stick with the one's that we have all confirmed are legit. You know
    the list, we've posted it often enough. That price is too low to be
    legitimate, from what I've seen.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  9. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    I wouldn't rely on the image since they show the same thing for the OEM
    version

    http://royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox64.html

    and pretty much the same thing for the OEM three-pack

    http://royaldiscount.com/miwixpprfor6.html .

    Also, if you click on "CD" under packaging, it explains what you get:

    CD Only software will come with a key code for installation and will
    activate if activation is required for that software. The CD Only software
    may have promotional labeling but is 100% genuine software and is 100%
    identical to the retail software other than the labeling. CD Only does not
    come with the box or manual. You can register the software online and print
    the manuals from the softwares "help me file." You can also print the
    license from the "EULA" which you can keep for your records. This version
    does not come with a Rebate.

    Question: Does anyone have any experience with "promotional" software? Is it
    likley that MS would give away a fully functional OS (non-beta and not timed
    to self destruct after a certain period) identical to what you can buy?
    Especially a realtively arcane OS (in that it takes some expertise to use
    it, find drivers, etc as well as a relatively high-performance machine)? I
    can see them giving away XP Home or Microsoft Bob, but XP Pro x64?

    DP, Jun 3, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    DP Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > Question: Does anyone have any experience with "promotional" software? Is
    > it likley that MS would give away a fully functional OS (non-beta and not
    > timed to self destruct after a certain period) identical to what you can
    > buy? Especially a realtively arcane OS (in that it takes some expertise to
    > use it, find drivers, etc as well as a relatively high-performance
    > machine)? I can see them giving away XP Home or Microsoft Bob, but XP Pro
    > x64?

    Responding to my own post: I guess I jumped the gun. Obviously, no one has
    said MS is giving this software away.
    So forget that. But I'm still confused by what the word "promotional" means
    here.
    It would be nice if the vendor had explained that.

    DP, Jun 3, 2006
  11. Well, I happen to have 2 copies of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition that
    are Promotional. They were for the launch, I think, since they're marked
    "Commerative Edition". They are NFR copies, however. Perfectly useable, but
    not for resale.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  12. It means the picture of the box is a stock picture and not a picture of the
    actual item for sale. Only a cd and key is for sale.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 3, 2006
  13. There is no "full" version of x64. There is only OEM.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 3, 2006
  14. Are you talking about this one Charlie? ;)
    http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog
    http://www.ncix.com
    http://www.newegg.com
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com
    http://www.directron.com
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006
  15. No upgrade version either, I noticed some folks who describe their
    installation or migration to x64 as an upgrade.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006
  16. I know. They misspeak. They usually mean that they upgraded in the sense
    of swiching to the x64 edition. They use "upgrade" as "improvement." It
    can cause confusion.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 3, 2006
  17. Of course. I meant to say they were also selling a "full price" version at
    $133. I just don't understand why they have essentially an identical product
    for $50 less, since there is no retail version available. I'm not in the
    market myself, sticking to XP Pro licenses, so as not to hear the carping
    from people who lose their Flash animations...;-) I don't think it's a bad
    idea for Microsoft to allow deep discounting on a product that has not
    exactly caught fire in the market. It might encourage a few more users to
    take the plunge, although with Vista nearing it may be moot anyways...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 3, 2006
  18. that's the one.

    Though I'm officially moving ncix.com up to the top of my list. These guys
    are the best. Seriously. I've had some problems recently with ASUS
    motherboards. One of them almost a year old (one of my A8Vs). Not once have
    they said "call ASUS". They have worked through the problems intelligently
    and offered free shipping for RMAs. They are really going the full mile -
    after swapping out one mobo, and a trip to the store where we thought we had
    it, the problem re-occurred on the new mobo. So they said "send the whole
    machine in (on their dime) and we'll either find the problem or swap the
    ASUS out for an Asrock. The Asrock has been much more solid for us, and it's
    both AGP and PCI-e so easy to migrate. "

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  19. Well, I haven't used any of those sites except for directron where my aunt
    purchased the XP x64 OEM disk for me. I am also using an Asrock K8 Upgrade
    VM800 board, no problems so far, came with all the necessary 64-bit drivers.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006
  20. I don't think Microsoft was looking for XP Pro x64 to catch fire and have
    everybody migrating to 64-bit overnight. Its really an alternative for those
    those who really need it and want to take advantage of some of its unique
    features such as the large memory address space for example.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006