    a distance of about 30 feet.

    I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    As if.
    Annika1980, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Wow!

    Paul Pedersen, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Oct 14, 4:45 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    WOW!! What a huge image! It loaded up quickly for me. This one
    shows more of the exquisite quality and intricate detail than in all
    your heron shots! An opthamologist could examine his eye from this
    pic! Truly a phenomonal shot Bret. It's so heartwarming to see you
    take the 40D to it's potential. Congrats!!
    Helen
    , Oct 14, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Charles Guest

    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.

    Sharp ... sharp ... and sharp!
    Charles, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Annika1980

    Doug Jewell Guest

    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.

    Pretty impressive.
    I like the noise pattern in the sky too - it almost has a film-grain-like
    quality to it.

    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Oh I'm pretty sure that dickhead who claims P&S are so much better will find
    an image somewhere on flickr, post a link to the JPG, and claim that it was
    taken with a P&S - although he won't say what P&S, and won't post a link to
    his gallery so we can see the exif detail that flickr strips from the file,
    and he won't post a link to his gallery because then we'd see that all the
    photos he's posted over the last few weeks have been stolen from other
    flickr pages.

    Doug Jewell, Oct 14, 2007
  6. Very Nice Bret.

    On 15/10/07 6:45 AM, in article
    , "Annika1980"

    Michael Brown, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Damn when are you going to get a REAL Full Frame DSLR?

    NM
    ~~NoMad~~, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Annika1980

    D_Mac Guest

    On Oct 15, 6:45 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    You really should have posted this picture on your new web site.
    It would have complemented all those P&S shots.

    Doug
    D_Mac, Oct 15, 2007
  9. Sometimes I really hate you. :)

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 15, 2007
  10. Annika1980

    Allen Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    As usual, a great picture of a "great" bird!
    Allen
    Allen, Oct 15, 2007
  11. Annika1980

    uw wayne Guest

    On Oct 14, 3:45 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Detail is astounding Bret......comes close to challenging...Nikon.
    uw wayne, Oct 15, 2007
  12. Annika1980

    Vintage Monk Guest

    D_Mac wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 6:45 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    >> OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    >> Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    >> It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    >> might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/87219140/original
    >>
    >> I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    >> 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    >> I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    >> additional ballast.
    >> BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    >> the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    >> a distance of about 30 feet.
    >>
    >> I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    >> As if.

    > You really should have posted this picture on your new web site.
    > It would have complemented all those P&S shots.
    >
    > Doug

    Hey Chon Kei, do you class this POS post as 'on-topic'?

    Doug gets jealous when he sees a truly great shot as he has never seen
    one come off his own camera.
    Vintage Monk, Oct 15, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2007-10-14 13:45:33 -0700, Annika1980 <> said:

    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Superb!!

    P&S Comp? It ain't gonna happen. (Not without tongue in cheek.)
    --
    ð ¹ 4 ·Æ
    Savageduck, Oct 15, 2007
  14. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Oct 15, 4:45 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    I like the 40D,it is full enough for pics:)
    http://www.digitalcameras-plus.com/canon-eos-40d.html
    , Oct 15, 2007
  15. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Oct 14, 10:27 pm, Savageduck <> wrote:
    > On 2007-10-14 13:45:33 -0700, Annika1980 <> said:
    >

    > > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/87219140/original

    > > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > > additional ballast.
    > > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > > a distance of about 30 feet.

    > > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > > As if.

    > Superb!!
    >
    > P&S Comp? It ain't gonna happen. (Not without tongue in cheek.)
    > --
    > ð ¹ 4 ·Æ

    Some samples of bird photos from the web, using P&S cameras

    Taken using Canon S3-IS:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_states/photo130640.htm

    Taken using Sony DSC F-828:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/Mexico/photo60431.htm

    Taken using Sony DSC H-1:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/Czech_Republic/photo74643.htm

    Taken using Panasonic Lumix FZ-50:
    http://basdekker.eu/afbeeldinger/fotografie/grote-dieren/fz00358-blauwe-reiger.jpg

    Taken with Panasonic Lumix FZ50:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=21878147

    I hope the links are working
    , Oct 15, 2007
  16. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    Mother of pearl...!

    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    ROFL!
    Matt Ion, Oct 15, 2007
  17. <> wrote in message
    On Oct 14, 10:27 pm, Savageduck <> wrote:
    > On 2007-10-14 13:45:33 -0700, Annika1980 <> said:
    >

    > > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/87219140/original

    > > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > > additional ballast.
    > > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > > a distance of about 30 feet.

    > > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > > As if.

    > Superb!!
    >
    > P&S Comp? It ain't gonna happen. (Not without tongue in cheek.)
    > --
    > ð ¹ 4 ·Æ

    Some samples of bird photos from the web, using P&S cameras

    Taken using Canon S3-IS:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_states/photo130640.htm

    Taken using Sony DSC F-828:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/Mexico/photo60431.htm

    Taken using Sony DSC H-1:
    http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/Czech_Republic/photo74643.htm

    Taken using Panasonic Lumix FZ-50:
    http://basdekker.eu/afbeeldinger/fotografie/grote-dieren/fz00358-blauwe-reiger.jpg

    Taken with Panasonic Lumix FZ50:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=21878147

    I hope the links are working

    the only link not working is the second last one, sorry :-(
    nice pictures, but where are the 3000+ pixel versions of those shots ??

    Don Hirschberg
    Atheist Chaplain, Oct 15, 2007
  18. Annika1980 wrote:
    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Bret,
    Wow! I'm most impressed by the lens! How did you focus
    at f/8.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 15, 2007
  19. Annika1980

    Pete D Guest

    > OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    > Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    > It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower connections
    > might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > I used the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L with the 1.4x Teleconverter.
    > 1/500, f/8, using a monopod (tripods are for wimps).
    > I also had a 20D with a 70-200 f/2.8L hanging from my neck for
    > additional ballast.
    > BTW, this is not our friend, Spike, but is one of the birds over at
    > the dam that are used to having people around. This one was taken from
    > a distance of about 30 feet.
    >
    > I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    > As if.

    Not bad but would have been really good if the exposure was right.
    Pete D, Oct 15, 2007
  20. Annika1980

    Frank ess Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> OK sports fans, today we're gonna see what the 40D can really do.
    >> Here is a full-size image from the 40D that I took a few hours ago.
    >> It's a large (3888x2592) image so those of you with slower
    >> connections might want to go get a tasty beverage while it loads.

    > Mother of pearl...!
    >
    >> I'll look forward to seeing equivalent pics from the P&S crowd.
    >> As if.

    > ROFL!

    I got your really big birds right here:

    Large noise in the back yard and when I went to investigate I found

    http://www.fototime.com/inv/A551B03FC293229

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 15, 2007