    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 15, 2006

  2. AD.

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006 23:26:53 -0700, "AD." <> wrote:

    >Does anyone still sell basic low power video cards?
    >
    >I speccing out a few 3U rack mount servers and a couple of mobo options
    >I'm investigating don't have either onboard video or serial access to
    >the bios.
    >
    >I've got basic old AGP cards lying around, but these mobos only have
    >PCI or PCI-E slots.
    >
    >It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
    >all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.
    >
    >A PCI-E VGA only card with a few megs of RAM would be ideal, but I
    >suspect that doesn't exist right?

    Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are plenty around..

    Jack Hammond, Sep 15, 2006

  3. In message <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
    > all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.

    But then, if you can get one cheap, what does it matter.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2006
  4. AD.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006 23:26:53 -0700, "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone still sell basic low power video cards?
    > >
    > > I speccing out a few 3U rack mount servers and a couple of mobo
    > > options I'm investigating don't have either onboard video or serial
    > > access to the bios.
    > >
    > > I've got basic old AGP cards lying around, but these mobos only have
    > > PCI or PCI-E slots.
    > >
    > > It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
    > > all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.
    > >
    > > A PCI-E VGA only card with a few megs of RAM would be ideal, but I
    > > suspect that doesn't exist right?

    > Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are
    > plenty around..

    Or grab a few circa 1995 PCI graphics cards....
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2006
  5. AD.

    AD. Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:
    > Correct, you should have got MoBo's with on board Video, there are plenty around..

    I'm working up both cheap and expensive options for a large storage
    server that doesn't need much CPU grunt.

    For the cheap options I need 8 SATA II ports onboard and dual Gb/s
    ethernet ports. Finding a board with those and onboard video is much
    trickier - they tend to be geared up for high end video.

    For the expensive options I need a least one PCI-X slot at 133MHz for a
    SATA RAID controller and either onboard SCSI or a second fast PCI slot
    for SCSI. The expensive options are fine, dual Xeon or Opteron server
    mobos usually fit the bill.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 16, 2006
  6. AD.

    AD. Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, AD.
    > wrote:
    >
    > > It just seems like a waste to have 128MB video cards with TV out and
    > > all this 3D stuff on them to run a text only terminal interface.

    > But then, if you can get one cheap, what does it matter.

    Well, that is my obvious fallback position. I was just wondering if I
    had any alternative.

    I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
    unless it is used?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 16, 2006
  7. In message <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
    > unless it is used?

    Good question. I think that would depend on whether the card was designed to
    save power or not. I believe Nvidia's GeForce models with "Go" in the name
    are designed with power-saving features, just as an example, not sure about
    others.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2006
  8. AD.

    AD. Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, AD.
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I assume all that extra functionality doesn't draw any extra power
    > > unless it is used?

    > Good question. I think that would depend on whether the card was designed to
    > save power or not. I believe Nvidia's GeForce models with "Go" in the name
    > are designed with power-saving features, just as an example, not sure about
    > others.

    I found some figures here:

    9W at idle isn't too bad. I could live with that :)

    The practically universal DVI these days might be annoying though,
    server KVMs are usually VGA and I suspect a DVI-VGA adapter might get
    in the way a little in a rack.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton