Reality Check info

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by CoffeeMan, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. CoffeeMan

    CoffeeMan Guest

    Hi

    I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
    I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
    (international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
    very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
    consultant in management.

    During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
    self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
    strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
    small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
    administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.

    I always learned fast and by myself. It's almost a trademark for me.

    I am looking for a career change. I'm fed up with teaching.

    Although I am considered a "computer wizard" by many, the IT jobs I seek
    unfortunately require more than "self-learning" abilities but real formal
    certifications like MSCE. I want that certification.

    As I understand it, I just have to self-study material at home and schedule
    exams with PearsonVue to a local test center for a total cost of 750$
    (6x150$) to get the certification.

    Considering that I am already familiar with significant parts of the examen
    content, that I can have free access to most self-training materials and
    that I have strong abilities learning by myself:

    1) do you believe self-learning is sufficent to get the certification?
    2) what timeframe would be realistic to complete the certification? (my
    guess is between 6 months at best and a year at worst)
    3) Will the certification be automatically granted at the end of the sixth
    exam or are there additionnal conditions/procedures to be followed?

    Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with me. I spent some time
    reading MS webpages about certifications but some wordings and informations
    are more confusing than enlightening. This is my first certification ever.

    CoffeeMan, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Dude I rely feel sorry how things turned out for ya’
    Considering the ongoing knowledge, study and education u had like MBA,
    bachelor in Management Information System, worked both as university teacher
    and international consultant in management. etc.. -----

    dmn... if I ware u I would be the head of NASA by now, and not someone
    who’s asking How can I become a Microsoft certified engineer. ;- MCSE is
    for uneducated people who want to advance their career and catch up with the
    new world job struggle. but if u want to regret leaving your current field of
    work. then get your MCSE and go to India to look for MCSE jobs!

    nowadays. people been unemployed for so long that they are rushing to get
    MCSE hoping to qualify them for the lowest IT job they come across. But
    unfortunately neither works!.

    Good luck
    --------
    I’m outsourced- be back on 2020
    ----------------------------------------=

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3RyaWdodA==?=, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Hi CoffeeMan (my answers are inline)
    CoffeeMan wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I got a bachelor in Management Information System in 1988. Following that,
    > I got a MBA and followed doctoral studies in unrelated fields
    > (international management and political sciences). Since 1990 and up to
    > very recently, I worked both as university teacher and international
    > consultant in management.
    >
    > During all these years, I not only closely followed technology changes and
    > self-trained myself to security, network, server deployment, vpn, backup
    > strategies, cms deployment, etc, but also regularly made few bucks with
    > small IT consultation contracts. I've also been the part-time IT
    > administrator of a small daycare for the last two years.
    >
    > I always learned fast and by myself. It's almost a trademark for me.
    >
    > I am looking for a career change. I'm fed up with teaching.
    >
    > Although I am considered a "computer wizard" by many, the IT jobs I seek
    > unfortunately require more than "self-learning" abilities but real formal
    > certifications like MSCE. I want that certification.
    >
    > As I understand it, I just have to self-study material at home and schedule
    > exams with PearsonVue to a local test center for a total cost of 750$
    > (6x150$) to get the certification.
    >
    > Considering that I am already familiar with significant parts of the examen
    > content, that I can have free access to most self-training materials and
    > that I have strong abilities learning by myself:
    >
    > 1) do you believe self-learning is sufficent to get the certification?

    In your case, Yes. I believe you can do it by self-learning. In fact,
    from my reading in this newsgroup, that's what most of the posters
    recommend. Get the books, and make a lab.

    > 2) what timeframe would be realistic to complete the certification? (my
    > guess is between 6 months at best and a year at worst)

    I would agree with the timeframe. If you already have a lot of
    experience in what you're trying to learn, you'll pick it up quicker.
    Mainly the certifications are just 'proof' of what experience you
    already have. That's not to say that there isn't learning/studying
    involved. Just that if you've been putting it into practice, you know
    the material.

    > 3) Will the certification be automatically granted at the end of the sixth
    > exam or are there additionnal conditions/procedures to be followed?

    I believe, that it will be automatically granted. For each exam that
    you pass, you'll receive a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
    certificate. When you've met the requirements for the MCSE, they'll
    give you that certificate as well.

    Just make sure that you keep your information updated on the MCP
    website. (You'll get access to this after you pass the first exam).

    --
    Patrick Dickey <>
    http://www.pats-computer-solutions.com

    Patrick Dickey, Jan 23, 2006
  4. My name is Tom Foley age 48 now, In 1999 searching to get out of retail after
    20 yrs I got the hairbrain idea to quit drinking alcohol get out of retail
    and go to college, well I did all that got a student loan and got my MCSE
    well I did manage to get a contract job thru Kelly Services at GE in Ft Myers
    for a big 9 bucks an hour then Sept 11 happened and I am back in the retail
    now for 4 yrs nowstill have a student loan for 20 grand I never made a
    payment on yet and struggling hard. I hope Im not the only one out here
    please respond.
    Thanks,
    Tom Foley

    =?Utf-8?B?dGVmb2xleTI0QGVhcnRobGluay5uZXQ=?=, Jan 23, 2006
  5. CoffeeMan

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >My name is Tom Foley age 48 now, In 1999 searching to get out of retail after
    >20 yrs I got the hairbrain idea to quit drinking alcohol get out of retail
    >and go to college

    Bit late in the day! College is for young spotty dudes who have just
    discovered girls!

    You should be thinking of retirement, not changing careers. I'm
    outahere when hit the big five-O, for a stress filled life of skiing,
    fishing, golf and 'drinking alcohol'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 23, 2006
  6. CoffeeMan

    kpg Guest

    CoffeeMan <> said something like

    Dear CoffeeMan,

    Why remove any doubt as to your usefulness to society by
    pursuing an MCSE when you have such good academic
    qualification?

    Your average MCSEs are a dime a dozen, and that's about the
    pay scale too. Genuinely Qualified MCSE are rare and without
    the actual experience, you won't be able to pull it off.

    You want a change of career? Fine. There are no doubt
    numerous organizations out there that need intelligent
    people to fill a wide range of positions.

    Buy a good career change book and go from there.

    kp "0.02" g

    kpg, Jan 23, 2006
  7. CoffeeMan

    Neil Guest

    did you hear CoffeeMan <> say in

    > CoffeeMan <>

    I likes the cuts of your jib. haven't read the post. just like the
    handle....

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - My 12 step program: never be more than twelve steps away from chocolate.

    Neil, Jan 23, 2006
  8. CoffeeMan

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jan 23, 2006 at 2:54am "CoffeeMan" blathered:

    > <snip>

    Self-study is best.

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100

    We can rebuild MCNGP.com. We have the technology.
    Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

    TechGeekPro, Jan 23, 2006
  9. CoffeeMan

    LRM Guest

    "Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message

    > Bit late in the day! College is for young spotty dudes who have just
    > discovered girls!

    Then I must have really looked out of place when I went back to school at
    37.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Jan 23, 2006
  10. CoffeeMan

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "LRM" <> say in

    > Then I must have really hawt when I went back to school
    > at 37.

    ifypfy

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - I came real close to seeing Elvis once, but my shovel broke.

    Neil, Jan 23, 2006
  11. LRM wrote:
    > "Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
    >> Bit late in the day! College is for young spotty dudes who have just
    >> discovered girls!

    > Then I must have really looked out of place when I went back to school at
    > 37.

    Then I look out of place too. I'm 35. And tutoring a bunch of 21
    through 24 year olds.

    Patrick Dickey, Jan 24, 2006
  12. CoffeeMan

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Then I must have really looked out of place when I went back to school at
    >37.

    do you have any pics of you as a cheerleader?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 24, 2006
  13. CoffeeMan

    CoffeeMan Guest

    Thanks to everybody for sharing information!

    CoffeeMan, Jan 24, 2006
  14. CoffeeMan

    Frisbee® Guest

    "CoffeeMan" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to everybody for sharing information!

    Access denied.

    Frisbee®, Jan 24, 2006
  15. CoffeeMan

    > >Then I must have really looked out of place when I went back to school at
    >>37.

    > do you have any pics of you as a cheerleader?

    What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my life
    would have been a cheerleader?

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Jan 24, 2006
  16. CoffeeMan

    kpg Guest

    LRM <> said something like

    > What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my
    > life would have been a cheerleader?

    Wishful thinking. or fantasizing.

    kpg, Jan 24, 2006
  17. CoffeeMan

    LRM Guest

    "kpg" <ipost@thereforeiam> wrote in message
    > LRM <> said something like
    >
    >> What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my
    >> life would have been a cheerleader?

    > Wishful thinking. or fantasizing.

    I'm just not a sideline kind of girl. I prefer to be in the action.
    Fantasize about that instead.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Jan 24, 2006
  18. CoffeeMan

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "LRM" <> say in news:uabPD1QIGHA.140
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my life
    > would have been a cheerleader?

    awwwww crap, another fantasy destroyed.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Cool Hand of Borg: What we have here is a failure to assimilate.

    Neil, Jan 24, 2006
  19. CoffeeMan

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of LRM:

    > What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my life
    > would have been a cheerleader?

    I bet you were the quarterback.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Jan 24, 2006
  20. CoffeeMan

    LRM Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, the
    > plaintive wail of LRM:
    >

    >> What in the world gave you the idea that I ever at any stage in my life
    >> would have been a cheerleader?

    > I bet you were the quarterback.
    >
    > --

    Metaphorically you could say that I called the shots.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, Jan 24, 2006