Real world troubleshooting problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by James T, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. James T

    James T Guest

    OK here's a support problem I had yesterday.

    A user reported having no task bar or desktop icons on
    startup. Investigation confirmed that the problem wasn't
    going away! I tried a repair installation of Windows (2000
    Pro) to no avail.

    I then searched microsoft support using terms like 'no
    desktop' and found several articles reporting similar
    symptoms, but none of the circumstances matched and the
    solutions didn't help.

    I then gave up and re-installed everything from an image
    file previously created using Norton Ghost.

    Problem solved (of course) but it took me several hours.
    Would you have approached this problem differently? Did I
    miss any more profitable lines of inquiry?

    James
    (Working and studying for MCDST)

    James T, Nov 5, 2004

  2. James T

    RJG Guest

    A corrupt profile can cause this to happen especially on a network

    RJG, Nov 21, 2004