real world training vs cert classes

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by John C, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. John C

    John C Guest

    Hope this is the right place for this post, bear with me... I've been mostly
    a local server/network administrator with some ISP experience for the past
    4+ years, and "old" MSCE on NT4. In my current job, business has been good
    and now we have 300+ active client web sites on a single W2K IIS5 server,
    with two SQL servers on the back end.

    With more growth on the way, I have been preaching the virtues of SANs, load
    balanced IIS6 web and SQL servers, network based backup etc for the last few
    months. I have done a lot of reading, and understand most of these ideas and
    devices at a conceptual level, but have 0 practical experience.

    The bosses' vision is that we attend some weekend or week long seminar,
    conference or whatever. We get to work with the "been there, done that"
    crowd, people already running highly available large web sites, farms etc
    and learn directly from them. Then we would know how to set up a scalable
    web/SQL architecture with lots of room for growth. Does such training or
    conferences exist where newbie's are brought up to speed?

    If that is not an option, do the MS certification trainings (designed to
    help pass exams) work for this sort of thing? Where have other folks found
    solid curriculum designed to get to the next level of systems admin? Any
    recommendations on where to pick up training for the hardware, software and
    networking, and development aspects of building a large, database-backed web
    farm?

    Your advice and experiences greatly appreciated, thanks.

    John C

    John C, Nov 17, 2003

  2. John C

    Ray Higdon Guest

    MS Newsgroups are great places to get your technical questions answered as
    well (the been there, done that). The MOC classes that MS put together are
    really more about doing labs and learning that geared to be exam prep
    classes. I would recommend attending an MOC class for what you need.

    HTH

    --
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

    Ray Higdon, Nov 17, 2003