    to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

    OS=WinXP

    Craig Shore, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Craig Shore

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Jan 10, 2009

    Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Craig Shore

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

    > Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

    You're an ignorant **** aren't you Larry - deliberately snipping out the
    OP's mention of Windows XP and then pointing them in the direction of a
    Linux only solution?

    EMB, Jan 10, 2009
  5. Craig Shore

    impossible Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    > to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    > time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >
    > OS=WinXP

    I've used this for years on XP machines:

    Directory Compare
    http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html

    The developer's home page is here:
    http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html

    impossible, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Craig Shore

    Richard Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    > to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    > time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >
    > OS=WinXP

    Windows live mesh will do it to your live account for web access as well..

    Richard, Jan 10, 2009
  7. In message <4968898d$>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Craig Shore
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?

    >> Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

    > You're an ignorant **** aren't you Larry - deliberately snipping out the
    > OP's mention of Windows XP and then pointing them in the direction of a
    > Linux only solution?

    I don't see you suggesting a Dimdows equivalent. Are you actually going to
    contribute something to this thread, or are you just here to call people
    names?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  8. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>
    >> OS=WinXP
    >>

    >I've used this for years on XP machines:
    >
    >Directory Compare
    >http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
    >
    >The developer's home page is here:
    >http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html

    That only does it when you run it doens't it? I'm looking for
    something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
    automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
    I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
    various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
    the day.

    Basically i'm looking at automating the backup of when I put photos
    off my camera onto the computer, music, etc. At the moment I put them
    onto the computer, then copy them to another drive before I delete
    them off the camera. I don't like the idea of having them on a single
    drive until the next automated backup that night, I could just imagine
    the drive would crap out that afternoon if that was the case.

    Craig Shore, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Craig Shore

    Grant Guest

    What about suresync www.suresync.com

    Grant, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Craig Shore

    Enkidu Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>>
    >>> OS=WinXP
    >>>

    >> I've used this for years on XP machines:
    >>
    >> Directory Compare
    >> http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
    >>
    >> The developer's home page is here:
    >> http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html
    >>

    > That only does it when you run it doens't it? I'm looking for
    > something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
    > automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
    > I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
    > various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
    > the day.
    >
    > Basically i'm looking at automating the backup of when I put photos
    > off my camera onto the computer, music, etc. At the moment I put them
    > onto the computer, then copy them to another drive before I delete
    > them off the camera. I don't like the idea of having them on a single
    > drive until the next automated backup that night, I could just imagine
    > the drive would crap out that afternoon if that was the case.

    Schedule copies for every 5 minutes or whatever makes you feel safe. Use
    robocopy or xcopy if you don't like copy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 10, 2009
  11. Craig Shore

    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>>
    >>> OS=WinXP
    >>>

    >>I've used this for years on XP machines:
    >>
    >>Directory Compare
    >>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
    >>
    >>The developer's home page is here:
    >>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html
    >>

    > That only does it when you run it doens't it? I'm looking for
    > something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
    > automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
    > I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
    > various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
    > the day.
    >

    > Basically i'm looking at automating the backup of when I put photos
    > off my camera onto the computer, music, etc. At the moment I put them
    > onto the computer, then copy them to another drive before I delete
    > them off the camera. I don't like the idea of having them on a single
    > drive until the next automated backup that night, I could just imagine
    > the drive would crap out that afternoon if that was the case.

    How about two drives in a RAID 1 array?

    impossible, Jan 11, 2009
  12. Craig Shore

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4968898d$>, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Across a network = DRBD <http://www.drbd.org/>.

    >> You're an ignorant **** aren't you Larry - deliberately snipping out the
    >> OP's mention of Windows XP and then pointing them in the direction of a
    >> Linux only solution?

    > I don't see you suggesting a Dimdows equivalent. Are you actually going to
    > contribute something to this thread, or are you just here to call people
    > names?

    The point remains though. Your advice is worthless in this case.

    Yes, there is no need to play the poster and not the topic.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  13. Craig Shore

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-10, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:22:07 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one HD
    >>> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in real
    >>> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>>
    >>> OS=WinXP
    >>>

    >>I've used this for years on XP machines:
    >>
    >>Directory Compare
    >>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win32/dirco.html
    >>
    >>The developer's home page is here:
    >>http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma.html
    >>

    > That only does it when you run it doens't it?

    Hope so ;-)

    > I'm looking for
    > something that will run in the background, perhaps as a service, and
    > automatically mirror folders onto another drive in real time.
    > I don't want to mirror the whole drive, just selected folders from
    > various drives, but I want it real time, not scheduled at the end of
    > the day.

    It seems we have two points

    1) Syncing needs to be automatic and
    2) needs to happen when a folder contents change

    How about, a programme that lets you run a command before/after the "backup"
    pgm? Or a batch file? Thinking off the top of my head here, not much hair
    there ;-)

    Part solution, schedule a backup or two when you are likely to copy the
    files over from the camera.

    Some more ideas

    http://www.nonags.com/software.asp?id=43

    Do It Again is a free, simple program that allows you to make your computer
    automatically perform a task for you, whenever you want. Record a task (or
    macro) then sit back and watch as your computer automates that task,
    clicking the mouse and pressing the keyboard by itself.

    If there is something that you do on your computer over and over, and you do
    it exactly the same way every time (such as backing up your pictures,
    checking web-based email for new messages, etc.), you can tell Do It Again
    how to perform that task (by doing it once yourself to create the new task).
    Then you can run that task whenever you want and Do It Again will
    automatically click the buttons and press the keyboard keys (in exactly the
    same way as when you created the task), while you sit back and watch the
    task being performed on the screen.

    This is also called macro or automation software, as it allows you to record
    a macro, then play it back to automate the actions of that macro.

    ****

    http://www.nonags.com/software.asp?id=3335

    Nonags Certified and Listed

    DocShield is a software program for Microsoft Windows operating systems that
    is designed to prevent or remedy the catastrophic loss or accidental
    modification of important electronic documents. It protects these documents
    by continually monitoring them for changes, then creating and storing
    snapshots of those documents as they change through time.

    DocShield's operation can be described as "passive" because it will never
    delete nor modify your shielded documents. "Snapshots" are stored in a
    compressed archive, which DocShield can be configured to keep in more than
    one location, or remotely through FTP for added protection. The archive of
    shielded files may exist on a local disk, a network disk, or other storage
    devices.

    For DocShield to begin shielding documents from disaster, you must first
    select one or more "destination" folders, which will hold the DocShield
    archives. If your resources allow, it is suggested that you create at least
    two destination folders on different physical devices to protect against
    hardware failure. You then select the documents that you want to shield.

    When a new "snapshot" of a document is written to an archive, it will
    automatically be written to the archive in each of the destination folders.
    You can specify how often you want DocShield to check on the documents, to
    see if any of them need to have a "snapshot" taken This time interval may be
    anywhere from every second to every few days.

    You can also specify if you want DocShield to be loaded automatically, every
    time you turn on your computer.

    ***

    Okay so you have tried all of them. I have not ;-)

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  14. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > It seems we have two points
    >
    > 1) Syncing needs to be automatic and
    > 2) needs to happen when a folder contents change

    Does Dimdows support an inotify-type facility?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2009
  15. Craig Shore

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Yes, there is no need to play the poster and not the topic.

    I had already played the topic in a previous post. I am heartily sick
    of Larry's irrelevant (and thus worthless) advice that is nothing more
    than a poor attempt at fueling the linux/'doze debate and merely
    confuses the OPs who are asking for advice.

    EMB, Jan 11, 2009
  16. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:29:28 +1000, "Grant" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off
    >> one HD
    >> to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in
    >> real
    >> time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>
    >> OS=WinXP
    >>

    >What about suresync www.suresync.com

    Yeah it does what I want, but it's not freeware, it's US$69.

    I've just installed a trial of MirrorFolder which goes for US$39, or
    US$35 each for 2-4 licences.

    Given I can't find anything freeware around I might go for a single
    licence on MirrorFolder and schedule SyncBack on the other machines to
    do daily backups.

    I was hoping for something like it free :)

    How real-time mirroring (RAID-1 type) option works in MirrorFolder.

    Real-time mirroring is implemented in a file system filter driver that
    performs RAID-1 type of mirroring in software on per file basis. Like
    a software-only RAID-1 system, it duplicates individual file I/O
    requests in memory and sent them to both source and mirror devices.
    That means same data are written to both source and mirror files at
    the same time whenever there is any change in the source file. Other
    file operations like move, rename, delete, attribute change, etc., are
    also performed in the mirror folder simultaneously with the source
    folder. So, at any point of time the content of the source and mirror
    folders remains identical.

    For example, if you have a large database file in your source folder
    and modify only one record in that file using the application
    interface of that database, the driver included with MirrorFolder will
    modify only that same record in the mirror database file
    simultaneously, and will NOT copy the entire source database file to
    its mirror.

    Craig Shore, Jan 11, 2009
  17. Craig Shore

    Max Burke Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off
    > one HD to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in
    > real time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    > OS=WinXP

    > I've just installed a trial of MirrorFolder which goes for US$39, or
    > US$35 each for 2-4 licences.
    > Given I can't find anything freeware around I might go for a single
    > licence on MirrorFolder and schedule SyncBack on the other machines to
    > do daily backups.
    > I was hoping for something like it free :)
    > How real-time mirroring (RAID-1 type) option works in MirrorFolder.
    > Real-time mirroring is implemented in a file system filter driver that
    > performs RAID-1 type of mirroring in software on per file basis. Like
    > a software-only RAID-1 system, it duplicates individual file I/O
    > requests in memory and sent them to both source and mirror devices.
    > That means same data are written to both source and mirror files at
    > the same time whenever there is any change in the source file. Other
    > file operations like move, rename, delete, attribute change, etc., are
    > also performed in the mirror folder simultaneously with the source
    > folder. So, at any point of time the content of the source and mirror
    > folders remains identical.
    > For example, if you have a large database file in your source folder
    > and modify only one record in that file using the application
    > interface of that database, the driver included with MirrorFolder will
    > modify only that same record in the mirror database file
    > simultaneously, and will NOT copy the entire source database file to
    > its mirror.

    Synctoy from Microsoft.
    SyncToy is a free PowerToy designed by Microsoft that provides an easy
    to use graphical user interface that can automate synchronizing files
    and folders. It is written using Microsoft's .NET framework. SyncToy 2.0
    was rewritten to make use of the Microsoft Sync Framework.[1]

    SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can
    combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and
    deletes in another. SyncToy can keep track of renames to files and will
    make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/SyncToy.shtml

    I was going to suggest Foldershare as well but it's now Windows Live
    Foldershare:

    http://neowster.com/2008/07/09/windows-live-foldershare-review/
    http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/Reviews/Reviews/FolderShare_Streamlines_the_Syncing_Process/

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jan 11, 2009
  18. Craig Shore

    Enkidu Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:29:28 +1000, "Grant" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know of any freeware that will mirror folders off one
    >>> HD to another, either on the same machine or across a network, in
    >>> real time - i.e. not a scheduled backup?
    >>>
    >>> OS=WinXP
    >>>

    >> What about suresync www.suresync.com

    > Yeah it does what I want, but it's not freeware, it's US$69.
    >
    > I've just installed a trial of MirrorFolder which goes for US$39, or
    > US$35 each for 2-4 licences.
    >
    > Given I can't find anything freeware around I might go for a single
    > licence on MirrorFolder and schedule SyncBack on the other machines
    > to do daily backups.
    >
    > I was hoping for something like it free :)
    >
    > How real-time mirroring (RAID-1 type) option works in MirrorFolder.
    >
    > Real-time mirroring is implemented in a file system filter driver
    > that performs RAID-1 type of mirroring in software on per file basis.
    > Like a software-only RAID-1 system, it duplicates individual file I/O
    > requests in memory and sent them to both source and mirror devices.
    > That means same data are written to both source and mirror files at
    > the same time whenever there is any change in the source file. Other
    > file operations like move, rename, delete, attribute change, etc.,
    > are also performed in the mirror folder simultaneously with the
    > source folder. So, at any point of time the content of the source and
    > mirror folders remains identical.
    >
    > For example, if you have a large database file in your source folder
    > and modify only one record in that file using the application
    > interface of that database, the driver included with MirrorFolder
    > will modify only that same record in the mirror database file
    > simultaneously, and will NOT copy the entire source database file to
    > its mirror.

    Really, this is paranoid stuff. I argue for some perspective here. If
    you are worried about losing your pictures and files set up a scheduled
    copy at whatever interval makes you feel happy using robocopy or xcopy,
    both of which can do mirroring. If you run a little script every 15
    minutes you will only have a 15 minute window when you *might* lose a
    file. You'd more likely win the Lotto several times in succession.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.

    Enkidu, Jan 11, 2009
  19. Craig Shore

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-11, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > How real-time mirroring (RAID-1 type) option works in MirrorFolder.
    >
    > Real-time mirroring is implemented in a file system filter driver that
    > performs RAID-1 type of mirroring in software on per file basis. Like
    > a software-only RAID-1 system, it duplicates individual file I/O
    > requests in memory and sent them to both source and mirror devices.
    > That means same data are written to both source and mirror files at
    > the same time whenever there is any change in the source file. Other
    > file operations like move, rename, delete, attribute change, etc., are
    > also performed in the mirror folder simultaneously with the source
    > folder. So, at any point of time the content of the source and mirror
    > folders remains identical.
    >
    > For example, if you have a large database file in your source folder
    > and modify only one record in that file using the application
    > interface of that database, the driver included with MirrorFolder will
    > modify only that same record in the mirror database file
    > simultaneously, and will NOT copy the entire source database file to
    > its mirror.

    rsync, from the chap who brought us Samba, not the dance.

    Copying is the best form of flattery, as the saying goes.

    There are many programmes which will sync two folders/directories, it is a
    small step to get them to get into action when required

    Gordon, Jan 12, 2009
  20. Craig Shore

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-11, Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Really, this is paranoid stuff. I argue for some perspective here. If
    > you are worried about losing your pictures and files set up a scheduled
    > copy at whatever interval makes you feel happy using robocopy or xcopy,
    > both of which can do mirroring. If you run a little script every 15
    > minutes you will only have a 15 minute window when you *might* lose a
    > file. You'd more likely win the Lotto several times in succession.

    Bugger! I agree with Cliff here. It was my thought when I read the original
    posting.

    Own a car. Will it start next time you wish it to?

    A backup system is about risk *and* the value of you of the data.

    Throw backups to the wind and know where they land, for you may need to
    collect them.

    Of course printed photos also are a back up.

    Nevertheless the question asked by Craig was a valid one. Let us improve
    things

    Gordon, Jan 12, 2009