    emulated CPU but using my real CPU. I'v tried VMWare Microsoft Virtual
    PC. They are sluggish. Is there a real-time emulator or whatever it's
    called.

    Uplink, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Robert Baer Guest

    Uplink wrote:

    > I need a Windows emulator that emulates in real-time. I mean not a
    > emulated CPU but using my real CPU. I'v tried VMWare Microsoft Virtual
    > PC. They are sluggish. Is there a real-time emulator or whatever it's
    > called.

    1) It is impossible to get true real time computing / scheduling on any
    computer with an intel-compatible CPU; there is a *hardware* interrupt
    in the CPU for RAM refresh that will steal cycles, thereby diddling
    timing of anything.
    2) You did not say *what* you want to emulate; be X-rated and state
    eXplicitly what you would like to do.
    3) Why "real-time"; again specify the timing constraints and precision
    desired.

    Robert Baer, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Eli Coten Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I need a Windows emulator that emulates in real-time. I mean not a
    > emulated CPU but using my real CPU. I'v tried VMWare Microsoft Virtual
    > PC. They are sluggish. Is there a real-time emulator or whatever it's
    > called.

    I think you mean Virtualisation.

    Here are the emulators that I use.

    1. Bochs (this was slow last time I tried - but I haven't tried the
    latest version).
    2. QEMU (this is easier to setup, but is command line based. It still
    not that fast).
    3. QEMU + KQEMU (this is probably what you are looking for. A
    virtualisation software.)

    QEMU with QEMU Accelerator (KQEMU) runs very well on my computer, but
    you do need a powerful enough computer to expect it to run. Even with
    the best virtualisation software if your computer has no power in the
    first place you won't get very far!

    I also use QEMU Manager to cut out all the command line loading. It is
    much easier and quicker than using the command line.

    http://www.davereyn.co.uk/

    KQEMU must be installed separately from the Official QEMU website
    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

    To ensure KQEMU is installed correctly, with QEMU running press
    CTRL-ALT-2 and you will get the QEMU console. Into the console type
    'info kqemu' (without the quotation marks). It will tell you the status
    of KQEMU. Press CTRL-ALT-1 to get back to the emulator normal mode.

    Hope this helps you, its extremely easy to do with QEMU Manager.

    Eli

    Eli Coten, Mar 19, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    What I'm going to emulate: Windows 9x betas mostly (Chicago, Memphis).

    It is mostly for early Win 9x line. Usually alphas and un released betas

    Uplink, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Uplink

    jo Guest

    On 19 Mar 2006 18:05:38 -0800, "Uplink" <> wrote:

    >What I'm going to emulate: Windows 9x betas mostly (Chicago, Memphis).
    >
    >It is mostly for early Win 9x line. Usually alphas and un released betas

    vmware is your best option

    jo, Jun 21, 2006