    the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?

    Thanks!

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Jeff) wrote in
    news:cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no:

    > Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a
    > real-time image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view
    > finder) and also activate the shutter, all without having to touch
    > the camera?

    My cheapie Canon A60 came with such software; are you sure there's
    not something like that with the stuff that came with yours?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light
    > box. Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    > controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC.
    > It's in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    >

    > Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    > image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also
    > activate the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jeff

    The Canon cheapie cameras do this quite well.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:12:40 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
    >Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    >controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
    >in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    >

    >Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    >image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
    >the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?

    If not, you an use the video out and a small TV/monitor.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Jeff

    Mick Brown Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a
    > light box. Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to
    > operate the controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera
    > from my PC. It's in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable
    > connected.
    >

    > Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a
    > real-time image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder)
    > and also activate the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jeff

    It all depends on whether or not your camera is slr, if so it is not
    possible. THe simplest explaination is that on dslr's the mirror is down
    when not taking the shot so that the image is not projected onto the sensor
    until the button is pressed.

    On point & shoots there is no mirror so it is possible to project the image
    onto the sensor even when the shot is not being exposed.

    If anyone has a better description it may help.

    Mick Brown
    www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown

    Mick Brown, Feb 11, 2005
  6. Jeff

    Ken Burns Guest

    At one time there was an accessory viewing attachment available for some
    35mm SLRs that allowed viewing via a video monitor. The purpose was for
    viewing images from cameras that were airborn using a blimp-like device.
    Radio transmitters and receivers were required. I don't know if the device
    is still available or if it would be economically viable.

    KB

    Ken Burns, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Jeff

    Marvin Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
    > Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    > controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
    > in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    >

    > Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    > image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
    > the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jeff

    The Camedia software that ships with Oly cameras probably has this capability. At least it did the last time I looked at the
    software, which I don't use.

    Marvin, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Jeff

    David Wright Guest

    In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
    > writes
    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
    >Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    >controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
    >in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    >

    >Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    >image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
    >the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Jeff

    Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
    with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
    camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
    which gives software control over various camera functions - image
    quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
    preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
    suited to moving subjects.

    The PhotoPC 800 focuses down to .15 metres in macro mode but is only a
    2.1 Megapixel camera with internal interpolation to 1984x1488 pixels
    available as an option which may not be sufficient for your purposes.

    As the 800 is available relatively cheaply on ebay it may be worthwhile
    getting (complete with software) and experimenting.

    --
    David Wright

    David Wright, Feb 14, 2005
  9. David Wright <> writes:

    > In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
    > > writes
    > >Hi everyone,
    > >
    > >I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
    > >Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    > >controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
    > >in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    > >

    > >Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    > >image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
    > >the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >
    > >Jeff
    > >

    > Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
    > with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
    > camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
    > which gives software control over various camera functions - image
    > quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
    > preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
    > suited to moving subjects.

    In terms of the E10, I believe the shareware at pinetreecomputing.com will
    allow everything except the real-time image view. On many non-DSLR cameras,
    but I'm not sure about the E10, you can hook up a TV screen to the camera, and
    view that instead of the LCD.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 14, 2005
  10. Jeff

    John Levy Guest

    There are a number of different cameras that will allow control from
    the PC. The one that I like the best is the Canon "G" series. 3,5, or
    6. I use the G5 tethered to my PC for shooting product shots. It
    allows full control of the camera including real time view and control
    of the zoom lens. Shutter speed, aperture and white balance can all be
    controlled as well. You click to take the picture then the image is
    saved directly to the PC hard drive to a folder of your choice and can
    be brought up immediately in PS or any other software and worked.

    The Pro 1 has this feature as well and the software is supplied from
    Canon at no extra cost.

    I also have an A2 that I love and it can also be controlled by a PC
    however KM charges extra for the software and I have not bothered to
    acquire it so I cannot say first hand how well it works.

    For my money the "G" series is at the top of the pile for this type of
    work. I have my G5 on a tripod in front of a shooting table using med
    grey seamless. When I have something to shoot I lay out the item, turn
    on the camera and lights, fire up the software and can be done in less
    than 5 minutes. This is NOT print work but rather for the WEB so my
    quality is not magazine standard.

    I am sure that if you look around you will find even more cameras that
    have the capability that you are looking for but I am not sure you
    will ever find software that will give you the same type of control in
    the E10.

    Good luck,

    John

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:15:50 +0000, David Wright
    <> wrote:

    >In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
    >> writes
    >>Hi everyone,
    >>
    >>I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
    >>Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
    >>controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
    >>in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
    >>

    >>Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
    >>image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
    >>the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Jeff
    >>

    >Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
    >with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
    >camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
    >which gives software control over various camera functions - image
    >quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
    >preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
    >suited to moving subjects.
    >
    >The PhotoPC 800 focuses down to .15 metres in macro mode but is only a
    >2.1 Megapixel camera with internal interpolation to 1984x1488 pixels
    >available as an option which may not be sufficient for your purposes.
    >
    >As the 800 is available relatively cheaply on ebay it may be worthwhile
    >getting (complete with software) and experimenting.

    I am opinionated and I know it. My advice is FREE and like all such advice it's worth exactly what you pay for it.

    John Levy, Feb 17, 2005
  11. Jeff

    Guest

    Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how Usenet
    is THAT? :-/

    Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed to
    work with the Oly E-series, also:

    http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com

    Good Luck!

    , Feb 17, 2005
  12. Jeff

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how

    Usenet
    > is THAT? :-/
    >
    > Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed

    > work with the Oly E-series, also:
    >
    > http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
    >
    > Good Luck!

    Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
    talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
    E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
    suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.

    There are a bunch of reviews of this kind of software at Steve's
    Digicams:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_cameractrl.html

    I haven't personally tried any of these others though....

    Good Luck!

    , Feb 17, 2005
  13. writes:

    > wrote:
    > > Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how

    > Usenet
    > > is THAT? :-/
    > >
    > > Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed

    > > work with the Oly E-series, also:
    > >
    > > http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
    > >
    > > Good Luck!

    > Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
    > talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
    > E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
    > suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.

    Hmmm, I just assumed the E-10/E-20 were supported, since other cameras from its
    era were supported, and it was designed as a pro camera. From pinetree's page
    of supported cameras, it looks like it isn't support. Bibble Pro seems to
    support it, but that is $129. The Olympus Software Developer kit for $40
    allows you to talk to various cameras (presumably this is used by cam2ctl and
    pinetree), but the E10 and E20 are not included (E1 is included though). There
    are lots of times where Olympus' actions mystify me.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 18, 2005
  14. Michael Meissner <> writes:

    > writes:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > > > Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how

    > > Usenet
    > > > is THAT? :-/
    > > >
    > > > Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed

    > > > work with the Oly E-series, also:
    > > >
    > > > http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
    > > >
    > > > Good Luck!

    > > Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
    > > talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
    > > E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
    > > suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.

    > Hmmm, I just assumed the E-10/E-20 were supported, since other cameras from
    > its era were supported, and it was designed as a pro camera. From pinetree's
    > page of supported cameras, it looks like it isn't support. Bibble Pro seems
    > to support it, but that is $129. The Olympus Software Developer kit for $40
    > allows you to talk to various cameras (presumably this is used by cam2ctl and
    > pinetree), but the E10 and E20 are not included (E1 is included though).
    > There are lots of times where Olympus' actions mystify me.

    Though you might want to check with both Bibble and Cam2Ctl, upon further
    investigation, it looks like Bibble may not support tethering on Olympus, and
    the Cam2Ctl site says the E20 just can't be controlled by computer. As I said,
    the ways of Olympus are mysterious....

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: