    --
    Regards,

    Cool As Blu
    Cool As Blu, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Cool As Blu

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Cool As Blu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    > paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or

    1GB
    > Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?
    >
    > I have just searched through the group and on google and can't find a
    > similar posting to my surprise. If there are any postings on this subject
    > matter please point me in the right direction.

    It's for you to decide how important saving a few *minutes* is each time you
    upload from the card/camera. It's not 'minutes' if there only a few shots
    to do). How many *times* a day will you upload? For myself, it's usually
    only once a day, and once the computer is booted, I connect the camera, fix
    a coffa cuppee, and when I get back, it's already finished.

    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Cool As Blu

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Cool As Blu"

    >I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    >paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or 1GB
    >Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?
    >
    >I have just searched through the group and on google and can't find a
    >similar posting to my surprise. If there are any postings on this subject
    >matter please point me in the right direction.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/ has some data comparing speeds
    but it's a bit old now.

    The faster card should pay off if you're often filling the write buffer on your
    camera and missing shots (but this won't happen to many people, depending on
    how you shoot) and you'll also see the difference when you're downloading to
    your computer. I have a 1 GB Microdrive and a 1 GB Lexar 32x WA and both are
    pretty fast but I don't have anything to compare them to.

    I'd advise getting a faster card reader too. With a USB 1.1 reader it takes me
    about 18 minutes to download 900+ MB, but with a USB 2 reader it drops to 3:30.
    Firewire should be a little bit faster still.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Cool As Blu

    Ed E. Guest

    In camera, there's hardly a difference. But with a USB 2.0 or firewire card
    reader and a full CF card, the difference starts to become more manifest.
    The best investment I made was in the $25 true USB 2.0 card reader - not the
    memory speed. I did feel a lot more comfortable with a good, brand-name
    memory card than some "house brand" generic version, though.
    Ed E., Nov 12, 2003
  5. Cool As Blu

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Cool As Blu wrote:
    > I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    > paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or 1GB
    > Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?
    >
    > I have just searched through the group and on google and can't find a
    > similar posting to my surprise. If there are any postings on this subject
    > matter please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Any personal experiences will be helpful.

    It all depends on the camera. If the camera is able to write to one
    card faster than the other, then it might be worth the extra expense as
    the 10D does write pretty large files. I would suggest testing the
    cards to make sure they really do speed things up in the camera.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Cool As Blu

    This Old Man Guest

    "Cool As Blu" <> wrote in message
    > I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    > paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or

    1GB
    > Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?
    >
    > I have just searched through the group and on google and can't find a
    > similar posting to my surprise. If there are any postings on this subject
    > matter please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Any personal experiences will be helpful.

    I did test with the Lexar 4x 256MB vs. the IBM Microdrive on the Canon
    Digital Rebel and the times were identical. I did many different tests and
    everything timed out the same.

    But later I realized when I was uploading files to the PC, the IBM
    Microdrive, on the same SIIG CF USB 2.0 reader was much faster. I haven't
    timed this yet but the speed differential was noticeable.
    This Old Man, Nov 12, 2003
  7. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:12:16 -0000, "Cool As Blu" <>
    wrote:

    >I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    >paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or 1GB
    >Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?
    >
    >I have just searched through the group and on google and can't find a
    >similar posting to my surprise. If there are any postings on this subject
    >matter please point me in the right direction.
    >
    >Any personal experiences will be helpful.

    Not personal experience, but I'm also about to buy a DSLR and had the
    same question.
    I found this in a local newsgroup :

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Looks a bit more useful than the one at DPreview and it takes into
    account the difference between cameras.

    /Niels
    Niels J. Larsen, Nov 12, 2003
  8. Cool As Blu

    alfred Guest

    I did some extensive tests comparing an older Sandisk 96 Mb card
    with a new Sandisk Ultra II 512 Mb card.

    In a Canon Rebel, the Ultra II wrote 2 times as fast.

    Reading into the computer I could not find any difference between the cards.
    That is undoubtedly due to my CF USB 2.0 reader not being fast enough.

    However, in my view the speed inside the camera is very important and well
    worth the money difference.

    (tests done on USbB 2.0 and 1.0, with both Win 98SE and Win XP)
    (USB 2.0 tests 3 times as fast reading as Usb 1.0)

    AL

    In article <>,
    says...

    alfred, Nov 13, 2003
  9. I can't speak to your specific camera, but I think you'll want to figure out
    WHAT speed are you most concerned about - write times in the camera, versus
    upload times to the computer...

    AND, it would be useful if you know just how fast your camera can actually write
    to a memory card...

    For my Fuji S2 I did several tests with different cards:

    Hitachi 1 GB microdrive
    Lexar 32X 1 GB CF
    Viking 1GB CF
    Sandisk Ultra 1 GB CF

    For each, I fired a frame, and let it record, then fired a full memory buffer as
    fast as possible (camera on manual 1/1000 so things stayed consistent). Then I
    recorded the time before I could fire another frame, and then the total time to
    record all the frames in memory... Frames were all shot as RAW, which is
    typically a 12,900 K (approximately 13 MB) frame. Times are an average of three
    tests each. In some cases I used multiple cards as I had more than 1 just to
    see if there were any variances... Times are in seconds, timed manually.

    AS ALWAYS, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. THIS IS JUST WHAT I GOT!

    Single Frame Memory Buffer
    Viking CF (2 cards) 15.2 118.5
    Lexar 32X CF 7.1 64.7
    Hitachi Microdrive (2) 6.6 58.2
    Sandisk Ultra CF 6.8 62.0

    In MY CASE, it appears the microdrives are faster than any of the CF cards.
    AND, it also appears that my S2 maxes out just at or below 12X... So, based on
    this if my PRIMARY concern is in-camera speed (which it is) there's not a lot of
    use going a whole lot above 12X. BUT, I believe the Viking is only a 6X card so
    its a huge bottleneck in the camera...

    I'm using a USB 2.0 card reader on thecomputer, and it MAY be using more of the
    card speed, but frankly I normally just shove the card in, fire up the move and
    go on about doing other stuff... So if it takes 8 minutes instead of 6 I
    normally don't notice...
    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 13, 2003
  10. Cool As Blu

    Tom J. Guest

    "Cool As Blu" <> wrote in message
    > I am about to buy a Digital Rebel and would like to know if it is worth
    > paying a premium for an ULTRA speed (e.g. 32x or 40x or more) 512Mb or

    1GB
    > Compact Flash card, or will a standard 512MB or 1GB card do?

    Extensive and up-to-date in-camera TESTED card speed information for the
    Rebel and other digital cameras can be found at

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Yes, for a DSLR, speed does make a difference.
    Tom J., Nov 13, 2003
  11. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > I'd advise getting a faster card reader too. With a USB 1.1 reader it takes me
    > about 18 minutes to download 900+ MB, but with a USB 2 reader it drops to 3:30.
    > Firewire should be a little bit faster still.

    Actually, Firewire is 400 MB/S and USB2 is 480 MB/S.
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
    Judson McClendon, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Cool As Blu

    Chris Cox Guest

    In article <20031125141027.813$>, Judson
    McClendon <> wrote:

    > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'd advise getting a faster card reader too. With a USB 1.1 reader it
    > > takes me
    > > about 18 minutes to download 900+ MB, but with a USB 2 reader it drops to
    > > 3:30.
    > > Firewire should be a little bit faster still.

    > Actually, Firewire is 400 MB/S and USB2 is 480 MB/S.

    Those are thoeoretical maximum speeds.
    Real devices don't get those speeds.

    Check the benchmarks on Rob Galbraith's site.

    Chris
    Chris Cox, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Cool As Blu

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > In article <20031125141027.813$>, Judson
    > McClendon <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bill Hilton" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd advise getting a faster card reader too. With a USB 1.1 reader it
    >>>takes me
    >>>about 18 minutes to download 900+ MB, but with a USB 2 reader it drops to
    >>>3:30.
    >>> Firewire should be a little bit faster still.

    >>Actually, Firewire is 400 MB/S and USB2 is 480 MB/S.

    > Those are thoeoretical maximum speeds.
    > Real devices don't get those speeds.
    >
    > Check the benchmarks on Rob Galbraith's site.
    >
    > Chris

    There are two versions of Firewire, at 400 and 800 megabits/second, and
    USB 2.0 at 480 Megabits/second. No devices connected to these
    interfaces will, currently, get anywhere NEAR the maximum rates.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2003
  14. "Chris Cox" <> wrote:
    > Judson McClendon <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I'd advise getting a faster card reader too. With a USB 1.1 reader it
    > > > takes me
    > > > about 18 minutes to download 900+ MB, but with a USB 2 reader it drops to
    > > > 3:30.
    > > > Firewire should be a little bit faster still.

    > > Actually, Firewire is 400 MB/S and USB2 is 480 MB/S.

    > Those are thoeoretical maximum speeds.
    > Real devices don't get those speeds.
    >
    > Check the benchmarks on Rob Galbraith's site.

    Actually, they're not even theoretical maximum speeds at all. They're
    raw data transfer rates, not the same thing. But I was replying to the
    statement "Firewire should be a little bit faster still." You will find
    that, apart from the raw data transfer speed, such interfaces are bound
    by primarily two things: the efficiency of the interface protocols, and
    the efficiency of the implantation of said protocols, in hardware and
    software. The former is generally fixed, but the latter is often subject
    to significant improvement over time as hardware and software are
    progressively optimized. An interface protocol would be inefficient
    indeed to squander a 20% advantage in raw data transfer speed.
    Judson McClendon, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Cool As Blu

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Judson McClendon wrote:

    > "Chris Cox" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Judson McClendon <> wrote:

    >>>Actually, Firewire is 400 MB/S and USB2 is 480 MB/S.

    >>Those are thoeoretical maximum speeds.
    >>Real devices don't get those speeds.
    >>
    >>Check the benchmarks on Rob Galbraith's site.

    > Actually, they're not even theoretical maximum speeds at all. They're
    > raw data transfer rates, not the same thing. But I was replying to the
    > statement "Firewire should be a little bit faster still." You will find
    > that, apart from the raw data transfer speed, such interfaces are bound
    > by primarily two things: the efficiency of the interface protocols, and
    > the efficiency of the implantation of said protocols, in hardware and
    > software. The former is generally fixed, but the latter is often subject
    > to significant improvement over time as hardware and software are
    > progressively optimized. An interface protocol would be inefficient
    > indeed to squander a 20% advantage in raw data transfer speed.

    Current implementations of USB 2.0 work at more like 20% of their
    theoretical max...
    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2003