Real Player problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hopehely, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Hopehely

    Hopehely Guest

    I am not sure where to post this question:

    I just installed Real Player here at home and I already have it at my
    office. At the office I have DSL at home I have 56K.

    I am trying to listen to a radio station that is in Hungary (Juventus-
    Budapest). According to Real Player the station has high quality, high
    reliability. Real Player does connect to the station but after a
    couple of seconds it stops and communicates. Runs until 99% and gets
    stuck. Sometimes, it loads again and continues to play (usually after
    5pm and only on DSL) but most of the time I have to restart it several
    times and even then it does not restart most of the time.

    It is not firewall or antivirus related because I did disable them for
    a short time and the results were the same.

    IS it possible to listen to these stations and if it is how?

    Thanks,
    Hopehely
    Hopehely, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Hopehely

    bryan gordon Guest

    hello
    try to down load Real Player 6.1 it should work
    on dls or window Real Player

    bryan
    bryan gordon, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Hopehely

    PuppyKatt Guest

    bryan gordon wrote:
    : hello
    : try to down load Real Player 6.1 it should work
    : on dls or window Real Player
    :
    :
    : bryan

    What was the original question? What the hell is "window Real Player?"
    What Operating System is the original poster using? It may be
    incompatable with RP 6.1
    PuppyKatt, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Hopehely

    trout Guest

    Hopehely wrote:

    > I am not sure where to post this question:
    >
    > I just installed Real Player here at home and I already have it at my
    > office. At the office I have DSL at home I have 56K.
    >
    > I am trying to listen to a radio station that is in Hungary (Juventus-
    > Budapest). According to Real Player the station has high quality, high
    > reliability. Real Player does connect to the station but after a
    > couple of seconds it stops and communicates. Runs until 99% and gets
    > stuck. Sometimes, it loads again and continues to play (usually after
    > 5pm and only on DSL) but most of the time I have to restart it several
    > times and even then it does not restart most of the time.
    >
    > It is not firewall or antivirus related because I did disable them for
    > a short time and the results were the same.
    >
    > IS it possible to listen to these stations and if it is how?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Hopehely

    Real Player is basically crap. It tends to busy itself doing things
    *it* wants to do, like 'phoning home', instead of the things that *you*
    want it to do.
    There are a couple of alternatives. Real Alternative:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    is a good, all-round replacement for RealPlayer, without the compulsive
    desire to update itself every time you go online.
    For streaming radio; I prefer to use Winamp. Most people seem to
    like an older version; I use version 2.91, myself. Pick a version you
    like:
    http://www.winampheaven.net/newlook/oldversions3.htm
    I'm not sure exactly which station you're trying to receive; but I
    could connect perfectly to http://streamer.enternet.hu:8000/juventus
    with either program.
    --
    "Hope this helps."
    trout, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Hopehely

    Hopehely Guest

    Looks like my posting was moved into an older thread. The original
    question was how to connect to radio stations in Real Player so you
    get the stream continuously and it does not get stuck on communicating
    on 99%. The first part of this thread is someone else's thread.

    I have Win2000. and DSL at the office and 56k.

    I agree that Real Player is a crappy program, I did not use it for
    years because it was like AOL putting all kinds of crap on my system.
    And I never used any of the music players before to listen to the
    radio, except when my friend found that it has Hungarian stations. I
    did not know either that there are other players that can bring in
    radio stations. I know I can't find Juventus in Windows Media
    Player...

    Where/how did you find the URL
    http://streamer.enternet.hu:8000/juventus ?
    All I could do is search for Juventus in Real Player's radio search
    engine and click the link. But it never gave me any kind of link...
    so how can I find these links?

    I downloaded Winamp and tried the link you gave me for Juventus and
    even like that it seems to have buffering problems same as in Real
    Player. Any ideas why?

    Hopehely
    Hopehely, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Hopehely

    trout Guest

    Hopehely wrote:

    > Looks like my posting was moved into an older thread. The original
    > question was how to connect to radio stations in Real Player so you
    > get the stream continuously and it does not get stuck on communicating
    > on 99%. The first part of this thread is someone else's thread.

    Ah. Yes, that will happen, particularly since you're posting through
    Google Groups; which just goes by Subject line. A little easier to use
    newsgroups with an actual newsreader client.

    > I have Win2000. and DSL at the office and 56k.
    >
    > I agree that Real Player is a crappy program, I did not use it for
    > years because it was like AOL putting all kinds of crap on my system.
    > And I never used any of the music players before to listen to the
    > radio, except when my friend found that it has Hungarian stations. I
    > did not know either that there are other players that can bring in
    > radio stations. I know I can't find Juventus in Windows Media
    > Player...
    >
    > Where/how did you find the URL
    > http://streamer.enternet.hu:8000/juventus ?
    > All I could do is search for Juventus in Real Player's radio search
    > engine and click the link. But it never gave me any kind of link...
    > so how can I find these links?

    In this case; I searched Google for 'Juventus', and from their home
    page,
    (http://www.juventus.hu/) clicked the link to go to 'On-line Radio'.
    Incidentally, I never *did* manage to connect directly to their
    streaming site with the browser, but it did bring up the address in the
    browser's status bar for the stream with which it was trying to connect.
    I copied it from there. Since I'm not familiar with the language,
    perhaps you would have better luck poking around the site for an
    alternative link/speed.

    > I downloaded Winamp and tried the link you gave me for Juventus and
    > even like that it seems to have buffering problems same as in Real
    > Player. Any ideas why?
    >
    > Hopehely

    Hard to say. It could be a server problem. Theirs seems to be quite
    busy. Do you have the same ISP at home and work? The problem could lie
    there, as well. It *could* just be the slower connection speed, on a
    congested server. It's been a while since I've used a dial-up, so I
    really can't advise you there; except to suggest you go through your
    connection settings to see if there is anything *there* you can adjust.
    The only other thing that seems a likely suspect is other on-line
    activity, perhaps in the 'background'. Make sure nothing else is running
    that may try to use the connection to auto-update, etc. This includes
    being *absolutely* sure there is no spyware on your system. You may want
    to check that out with programs like:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>
    Ad-Aware
    <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/> (both free)
    Naturally; you should be using a firewall to keep a tight rein on
    which programs are accessing the net.
    --
    "Good luck."
    trout, Feb 14, 2004