Real Player/Helix Plug-in for Kubuntu

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Nov 16, 2007.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Using Ubuntu Gutsy with the Kubuntu Desktop package.

    Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
    browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

    I'm fully aware of the horror stories associated with Real Player from my
    MS days but has anyone any experience using Real Player under Linux.

    https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/

    And what's this "Helix Player". Anyone tried using this to play Real
    media (although the FAQ says not possible)

    https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/help/helixrealfaq.html

    Any advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Lodi

    peter Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Using Ubuntu Gutsy with the Kubuntu Desktop package.
    > Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
    > browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

    I haven't tried it, but the ubuntuguide says they install automatically, or
    you can install manually
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#Browser_Plug-ins

    For Real player plug-in (automatically installs helix-player):
    sudo apt-get install mozilla-helix-player

    HTH

    Peter

    peter, Nov 16, 2007

  3. In article <fhl20t$eb4$>, Lodi did write:

    > Am wanting to listen to some of the Heineken Cup games in real-time. My
    > browser (Opera 9.24) says I need the Real Player plug-in.

    Is this just audio? Is it streamed via the Icecast protocol? Because for
    example when I want to listen to George FM, I find myself looking at this
    link: <http://media.georgefm.co.nz/playlist/georgefm128.m3u>. When I
    download the file, it looks like this:

    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:-1,GeorgeFM Live!