    ---
    David Scott
    Hampshire, England

    Dave, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Dave

    Bigguy Guest

    Flash ON!? :)

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yes, flash is on and camera is set to Auto.

    --
    ---
    David Scott

    Dave, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Dave

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:01:49 -0000
    "Dave" <> wrote:

    > Yes, flash is on and camera is set to Auto.

    When you push the shutter button, does the flash fire?
    Does the resulting picture look OK?

    Not all cameras "gain up" their displays in low light. Yours
    is apparently not doing it automatically, but it might have
    a brightness control in the menus somewhere.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Dave <> wrote:
    : Yes, flash is on and camera is set to Auto.

    You mentioned that you were taking photos of scenery. Most built in
    flashes are only effective up to about 12 ft. So even with a flash,
    trying to get a photo of anything further away than that will be dark.

    Also be sure to check what ISO your camera is set for. Not all cameras
    auto set the ISO. So it could be that the "everyone else" who were getting
    useable photos in the dark were shooting with an ISO of 1600 or even 3200.
    And if you are stuck on ISO 100 it may be that your camera can just not
    set a long enough shutter speed to correct.

    BTW, I know that this is silly but it's amazing how often this can catch
    even experienced photogs. Did you take the lens cap off? :) One more plus
    for an SLR. If you don't take the cap off, you can't focus or line up the
    shot through the viewfinder without noticing something is wrong. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Il 11/01/2007 08:38, Randy Berbaum dixit:
    > Dave <> wrote:
    >> Yes, flash is on and camera is set to Auto.

    > Also be sure to check what ISO your camera is set for.

    You can discover a lot looking at the exif data contained in the photo:
    all the camera settings are there.
    To see them without sophisticated software, you can install the Firefox
    Exif Viewer extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3905/

    Cyrus The Virus, from Italy

    --
    I love to be mailed just by smart people:
    perl -we 'print "\12\142\145\162\156\141\155\141\100\151".

    cyrusthevirus, Jan 11, 2007