Real life exam question hehe .. HELP please !

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?=, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Hello people.
    I'm Mauricio from Mexico, I work in an international manufacturer.

    Well, i'm going to be concise, thank you all guys:

    I am running a Windows 2003 network domain, 1 domain controller.

    - I have 2 windows 95 clients working in my organization. (I know, ridiculous)
    - They are configured as clients for microsoft networks.
    - So, you are prompted for you credentials once windows starts.
    - I write my username, password and domain.
    - After that i receive the following error:

    "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon
    server has been denied"

    I was running an old 2003 domain controller 2 months ago. (I migrate it to
    the actual one).

    Fo testing, I unplugged the new DC and connected the OLD one.

    Surprise !! I was ABLE to have my 95 clients without problem.
    So, I'm assuming that I have a missing setting in my new DC.

    I did a lot of KB research with no success.
    I installed dsclient.exe on both machines. No success.

    Do you have idea ?
    I will really apprecciate your help !!

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?=, Jun 26, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?= <> wrote in

    > I did a lot of KB research with no success.
    > I installed dsclient.exe on both machines. No success.

    I believe that your SID's are stored on the old server and have not been
    created on the new one.

    Questions that need to be answered are: Is the domain name the same on
    the new server as the old one? Are they both domain controllers?

    What I might do in this situation is to switch the workstations back to
    a workgroup, reboot, switch back to the domain, then reboot again. I
    haven't used Win 95 in several years, but the place to make these
    changes in newer OS's is right clicking "My Computer", Select
    "Properties," then select the "Computer Name" tab. It is possible it is
    accessed by right clicking "Network Neighborhood" instead on win 95. But
    really I'm not sure since it has honestly been 10 years since I've even
    looked at a Windows 95 machine.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Jun 26, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    Red Swingline Stapler piffled away vaguely:

    > =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?= <> wrote in
    >

    >> I did a lot of KB research with no success.
    >> I installed dsclient.exe on both machines. No success.
    >>

    > I believe that your SID's are stored on the old server and have not been
    > created on the new one.
    >
    > Questions that need to be answered are: Is the domain name the same on
    > the new server as the old one? Are they both domain controllers?
    >
    > What I might do in this situation is to switch the workstations back to
    > a workgroup, reboot, switch back to the domain, then reboot again. I
    > haven't used Win 95 in several years, but the place to make these
    > changes in newer OS's is right clicking "My Computer", Select
    > "Properties," then select the "Computer Name" tab. It is possible it is
    > accessed by right clicking "Network Neighborhood" instead on win 95. But
    > really I'm not sure since it has honestly been 10 years since I've even
    > looked at a Windows 95 machine.

    You can also try creating the computer objects on the new server
    manually.

    You might also check authentication protocols on the new server. If
    the new one is only accepting Kerberos, 95 won't be able to
    authenticate. I think 95 can work with NTLMv2 but I'm not positive.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jun 26, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?=

    CBIC Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    > You can also try creating the computer objects on the new server
    > manually.

    Easiest fix is upgrade the machine to XP. If you have an app that will only
    run on 95 use a VM. I recommend VM workstation.

    CBIC, Jun 26, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljaW8=?=

    2feral Guest

    Hi

    As windows 95 is not a AD supported client, you will probabably find
    the role of PDC Emulator has not transfered to the new server.

    Without a PDC emulator pre NT clients wont be able to log in.

    You will need to seize the role if the other server is not online.
    Also make sure why you are there you assign the rest oif the roles to
    your current DC as they are required for other tasks.

    Let us know how it works out

    TO IDENTIFY PDC EMULATOR

    Using the Windows interface
    1.
    Open Active Directory Users and Computers.

    2.
    Right-click the domain node, and then click Operations Masters.

    3.
    On the PDC tab, under Operations masters, view the operations masters
    that will serve as the PDC emulator.

    Notes

    · Performing this task does not require you to have administrative
    credentials. Therefore, as a security best practice, consider
    performing this task as a user without administrative credentials.

    · To open Active Directory Users and Computers, click Start, click
    Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-
    click Active Directory Users and Computers.

    · Every domain has only one PDC emulator master. To identify the PDC
    emulator in a different domain, target the appropriate domain before
    clicking Operations Masters.

    2feral, Jun 27, 2007