Real funny setting up an Asterisk extension in Ireland

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Linker3000, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Hi,

    I have just come back from a trip to the Irish Republic. While over
    there, I setup my Friend's PC with SJPhone (softphone) as an extension
    on my UK-based Asterisk server.

    Everything works fine but the real kicker is that if I ring their SIP
    extension (SJPhone), their *HOUSE* phones also ring! The setup is a DECT
    and a regular desk phone connected to a 2-way line adapter, plugged in
    to a filter also hosting an ADSL router/wireless AP.

    There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    triggered?

    Anyone able to elaborate or even speculate!?

    Thanks.
    Linker3000, Oct 30, 2007

  2. Linker3000

    alexd Guest

    Linker3000 wrote:

    > I have just come back from a trip to the Irish Republic. While over
    > there, I setup my Friend's PC with SJPhone (softphone) as an extension
    > on my UK-based Asterisk server.
    >
    > Everything works fine but the real kicker is that if I ring their SIP
    > extension (SJPhone), their *HOUSE* phones also ring! The setup is a DECT
    > and a regular desk phone connected to a 2-way line adapter, plugged in
    > to a filter also hosting an ADSL router/wireless AP.
    >
    > There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    > VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    > triggered?
    >
    > Anyone able to elaborate or even speculate!?

    If they pick up their house phone when you ring, can you have a
    conversation? Does asterisk see the SIP traffic coming from their public
    IP?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:44:31 up 53 min, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.21
    alexd, Oct 30, 2007

  3. Linker3000

    Tim Guest

    Linker3000 wrote:
    > There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    > VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    > triggered?

    And are you sure they don't have a DECT dongle in their PC?

    Tim
    Tim, Oct 30, 2007
  4. Linker3000

    TheFug Guest

    Tim schreef:
    > Linker3000 wrote:
    >> There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    >> VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    >> triggered?

    > And are you sure they don't have a DECT dongle in their PC?
    >
    > Tim

    I guess, if only the bell rings and no sound is transported, it can ben
    seen as a faulty "output"

    @OP: please name used equipment !

    --
    The Fug.
    TheFug, Oct 30, 2007
  5. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > Linker3000 wrote:
    >
    >> I have just come back from a trip to the Irish Republic. While over
    >> there, I setup my Friend's PC with SJPhone (softphone) as an extension
    >> on my UK-based Asterisk server.
    >>
    >> Everything works fine but the real kicker is that if I ring their SIP
    >> extension (SJPhone), their *HOUSE* phones also ring! The setup is a DECT
    >> and a regular desk phone connected to a 2-way line adapter, plugged in
    >> to a filter also hosting an ADSL router/wireless AP.
    >>
    >> There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    >> VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    >> triggered?
    >>
    >> Anyone able to elaborate or even speculate!?

    > If they pick up their house phone when you ring, can you have a
    > conversation? Does asterisk see the SIP traffic coming from their public
    > IP?

    Hi Alex,

    Nope, no conversation heard.
    Linker3000, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Linker3000 wrote:
    >> There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    >> VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    >> triggered?

    > And are you sure they don't have a DECT dongle in their PC?
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Tim,

    Nope, there is absolutely nothing connecting the DECT phones to VoIP
    within the building.
    Linker3000, Oct 31, 2007
  7. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    TheFug wrote:
    > Tim schreef:
    >> Linker3000 wrote:
    >>> There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    >>> VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    >>> triggered?

    >> And are you sure they don't have a DECT dongle in their PC?
    >>
    >> Tim

    > I guess, if only the bell rings and no sound is transported, it can ben
    > seen as a faulty "output"
    >
    > @OP: please name used equipment !

    Hi TheFug,

    The router is a cheapie Safecom Router/Access Point.
    Linker3000, Oct 31, 2007
  8. Linker3000

    Guest

    On 10 31 , 5 17 , Linker3000 <>
    wrote:
    > I have just come back from a trip to the Irish Republic. While over
    > there, I setup my Friend's PC with SJPhone (softphone) as an extension
    > on my UK-based Asterisk server.
    >
    > Everything works fine but the real kicker is that if I ring their SIP
    > extension (SJPhone), their *HOUSE* phones also ring! The setup is a DECT
    > and a regular desk phone connected to a 2-way line adapter, plugged in
    > to a filter also hosting an ADSL router/wireless AP.
    >
    > There's no ATAs involved so I can only presume that there's some
    > VoIP-aware kit on the line (Eircom's Centrex system?) that's getting
    > triggered?
    >
    > Anyone able to elaborate or even speculate!?

    Hi

    You could write a group ringing script in asterisk, and make sure you
    asterisk have a termination connected to pstn.
    In my asterisk based softswitch, it is already working.

    Regards
    Leon

    , Nov 6, 2007