    http://snurl.com/2a9f

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Chris Mayhew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" wrote
    > "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
    > internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
    > the same cost..."

    wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...

    wait a minute... That still sucks.
    T.N.O., Sep 8, 2003

  3. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > "Chris Mayhew" wrote
    >> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
    >> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times
    >> for the same cost..."

    > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    >
    > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    I though it might..... :)

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Chris Mayhew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "KS" wrote
    > > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    > > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    > Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

    The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
    512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...
    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Andrew Guest

    I could well handle that, I dont need large caps, i just want speed at low
    price :)

    Andrew, Sep 9, 2003
  6. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news:bjj748$jp24d$1@ID-
    183327.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > "KS" wrote
    >> > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    >> > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    >> Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

    > The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
    > 512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...

    I wonder if Telecom will up the speed in the area's where this is available
    - like they cut the price of a phone in some parts of the country ? ....
    now that WOULD suck !

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 9, 2003
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    > > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    > >
    > > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    Don't be so negative. They should be congratulated. The vast majority
    of people don't use more than 5gb. Only heavy filesharers use more
    than 5gb and these are the kind of customers a provider would want to
    avoid.
    Roger Ramjet, Sep 9, 2003
  8. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > NZ Herald article:
    >
    > "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
    > internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
    > the same cost..."
    >
    > http://snurl.com/2a9f

    Well done Counties Power!
    SNOman, Sep 9, 2003
  9. Chris Mayhew

    asdf Guest

    now thats is cool

    i think that 5 G's is enough, 10 would be nice, i get 10 at the mo, but dont
    have any idea how close i get to it but 1MB would be very good...

    TAKE NOTE TELLECOM 128's just a fast modem, but 1 MB is geting resonable.

    DAniel

    asdf, Sep 9, 2003
  10. Chris Mayhew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "KS" wrote
    > > > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    > > > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    > > Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

    > The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
    > 512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...

    Yep, Wired Coutry caps suck. Their install fees and bandwidth are good. I've
    been on their mailing list since the inception and have had regular
    newsletters. I've been seriously considering using them, hence my questions
    recently here about utilities to monitor through-put, but there is no way
    I'll go to them unless they raise their caps. 10 cents per MB over the cap?
    Some months could see me being billed for hundreds. Or ceasing all net/email
    checking activint for a week or more.

    The plan I was looking at, the only one I could remotely afford, had a 1GB
    cap!! I would get close to that just downloading all the crap HTML spam
    emials I get and doing a bit of browsing. (there are two of us sharing the
    connection)

    The cynic in me says that their current 'free upgrade' to faster connection
    speeds has been implemented so that people will grossly exceed their caps
    and have to pay a fortune in excess fees. Revenue gathering disguised as a
    gift.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2003
  11. Chris Mayhew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > The cynic in me says that their current 'free upgrade' to faster

    connection
    > speeds has been implemented so that people will grossly exceed their caps
    > and have to pay a fortune in excess fees. Revenue gathering disguised as a
    > gift.

    Thats how I saw it...
    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  12. Chris Mayhew

    Ferg Guest

    My reading of the terms at the ICONZ site http://www.iconz.co.nz/
    seems to suggest if you join up now you get 1Mbs and free national
    traffic... So the cap would only apply to international traffic...

    DC users rejoice!

    Maybe I will have to move south...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Sep 9, 2003
  13. Chris Mayhew

    samg Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > "~misfit~" wrote
    >> The cynic in me says that their current 'free upgrade' to faster

    > connection
    >> speeds has been implemented so that people will grossly exceed their
    >> caps and have to pay a fortune in excess fees. Revenue gathering
    >> disguised as a gift.

    > Thats how I saw it...

    makes you wonder why telecom havent done it with their adsl offerings?
    samg, Sep 9, 2003
  14. In article <bjj09c$ji7bu$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >"Chris Mayhew" wrote
    >> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
    >> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
    >> the same cost..."

    >wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    >
    >wait a minute... That still sucks.

    I rarely break a gig a month. I'd be fully stoked to get 1Mbps for what
    I'm paying now for a slightly-faster-than-dialup connection, and 5GB is
    pretty good.
    Plus, if you look down the bottom, ICONZ offer a flat-rate product
    currently at $65/month and this will probably be boosted to 1Mbps also -
    They might increase the price, but even if it were $80/month it'd still
    be a MUCH better deal than any DSL product offering.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Sep 9, 2003
  15. Chris Mayhew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "samg" wrote
    >>> Revenue gathering
    > >> disguised as a gift.

    > > Thats how I saw it...
    > >

    > makes you wonder why telecom havent done it with their adsl offerings?

    they did when they launched it... see the original Jetstream full speed
    plans.
    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  16. Chris Mayhew

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:24:38 -0700, Roger Ramjet wrote:

    >> > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    >> >
    >> > wait a minute... That still sucks.

    > Don't be so negative. They should be congratulated. The vast majority
    > of people don't use more than 5gb. Only heavy filesharers use more
    > than 5gb and these are the kind of customers a provider would want to
    > avoid.

    The point is that some competition is appearing closer than the horizon.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Sep 9, 2003
  17. Chris Mayhew

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:59:53 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The cynic in me says that their current 'free upgrade' to faster connection
    > speeds has been implemented so that people will grossly exceed their caps
    > and have to pay a fortune in excess fees. Revenue gathering disguised as a
    > gift.

    Look, gentle people, it has always struck me as hopeless that the faster
    the connection the lower the cap. Some tall people like to drive sports
    cars as well you know.

    Some people are short on volume, the skinny people of this world and thus
    the cap is still neaver reached.

    Let the Market Forces Govern (TM 80s)

    Gordon, Sep 9, 2003
  18. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 01:19:12 +0000, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> wonder if Telecom will up the speed in the area's where this is
    >> available - like they cut the price of a phone in some parts of the
    >> country ? .... now that WOULD suck !

    > Not on the wallets that it happened to.

    Your right, of course, I was just thinking of my own wallet again.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 9, 2003
  19. Chris Mayhew

    MarkH Guest

    (Matthew Poole) wrote in

    > In article <bjj09c$ji7bu$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O."
    > <> wrote:
    >>"Chris Mayhew" wrote
    >>> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
    >>> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10
    >>> times for the same cost..."

    >>wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
    >>
    >>wait a minute... That still sucks.
    >>

    > I rarely break a gig a month. I'd be fully stoked to get 1Mbps for
    > what I'm paying now for a slightly-faster-than-dialup connection, and
    > 5GB is pretty good.
    > Plus, if you look down the bottom, ICONZ offer a flat-rate product
    > currently at $65/month and this will probably be boosted to 1Mbps also
    > - They might increase the price, but even if it were $80/month it'd
    > still be a MUCH better deal than any DSL product offering.

    ICONZ deal also include 256Kb/s for $99, that may get boosted to 2.5Mb/s
    for no extra charge.

    But even the current deal of $99 for flat rate 256Kb/s is pretty sweet, I’d
    happily sign up for that if I lived in the right area.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Sep 9, 2003
  20. Chris Mayhew

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Who is this" wrote
    > Damnit it should be free, I want to have full speed with no limitations
    > and no costs, that is the only fair solution.

    There you go again... throwing a lennier...
    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003