    that my IP is not listed..so how can I unblock my blocked e-mails. I am not
    a spammer.
    Thanks.

    baglady, Aug 24, 2003

  2. baglady

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as baglady continued:

    > I have received this message with a returned e-mail as all of my
    > e-mails to a friend are now bouncing:-
    >
    > ***A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
    > its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
    > failed:
    >
    > *e-mail address* SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
    > TO:<*e-mail address*:
    > host promitheas1.*service provider* [***.**.***.***]:
    > 554 Service unavailable; Client host [***.**.***.**] blocked using
    > multihop.dsbl.org; http://dsbl.org/listing?ip=212.74.114.38 ***
    >
    > When I log on to http://dsbl.org/listing and enter my IP address it
    > says that my IP is not listed..so how can I unblock my blocked
    > e-mails. I am not a spammer.
    > Thanks.

    Did you bother to read any of the page ?
    Did you bother to try the "If you're not sure why you were referred to this
    webpage, please read this page first" link ?

    It reads:

    We're sorry. If you bothered coming to this page, you are probably an
    innocent mail user who's mail has bounced back with a message telling you to
    come to this site. We'll try to explain what's happened.

    You sent mail to a destination address. The person who runs the mail server
    at that address has chosen to refuse email from dangerously misconfigured,
    insecure, or abuseable servers based on a list that we publish. They most
    likely did this because blocking mail that originates from servers in our
    list can significantly reduce the amount of UCE (unsolicited commercial
    email), or spam, that users of their mail server receive.

    Please don't misunderstand; we're not implying that you send spam. The
    message that you received simply means that the administrator of your server
    either doesn't know, or has chosen to run an open relay or open proxy.

    An open relay is a mail server that will accept and deliver mail from
    anywhere to anywhere. This is as opposed to properly configured mail
    servers, which will only accept mail from or to their own site. Many
    spammers send spam through these relays, which act as amplifiers and
    anonymizers for their messages.
    How to fix this.
    Of course, you want your mail to go through. In order for this to happen,
    your Internet Provider needs to fix their mail server. You can point them to
    this page, if you like; there are instructions linked off our front page
    fixing most mail servers. As soon as your provider fixes their server and
    requests removal from this website, your mail will start going through
    again.
    But my provider says that they aren't an open relay!
    Looking up any IP address listed in DSBL on our website will display a copy
    of a message actually relayed through that server, with full headers and
    SMTP envelope. DSBL only adds hosts to our database that actually relay
    mail; accepting the mail then dropping it won't get a host listed.
    But the open relay was fixed last week!
    Since DSBL does not do tests of servers, it has no way to detect that your
    server was fixed. The administrator of the server can remove the server from
    DSBL at any time. However, it is advisible to fix the security problem
    before requesting to be removed from DSBL, since servers with a persistant
    security problem tend to get listed again eventually.
    My provider says that they have to be an open relay.
    No server has to be an open relay. For installations that have users sending
    mail from all around the world (such as many web hosting companies), SMTP
    AUTH is an excellent solution for avoiding open relay.

    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 24, 2003

  3. baglady

    °Mike° Guest

    I suggest you take this up with your respective ISPs.

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:42:34 +0100, in
    <3f48c0db$>
    baglady scrawled:

    --