reading unfinalized Sony Mavica mini-disc on Windows computer ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J. Cod, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. J. Cod

    J. Cod Guest

    Hi, This is kind of an "emergency" in the sense that I
    really need access to the pictures on an unfinalized
    mini-disc, pictures taken inside my trusty Sony CD200 which
    is apparently damanged and will not power on or re-charge
    batteries. I'm in a tropical country where the local Sony
    dealers don't have any CD Mavicas I could use to finalize
    the disc.

    The prices for a new battery for the camera here, or a
    charger, are astronomical; only the Sony brand is available
    since this is such a low-demand and proprietary item(s) that
    I guess there's no motivation for cheap knock-offs. The
    battery is around US $60 and the simple charger about US $75
    ! High import duties, I guess.

    The assumption I am making, perhaps erroneously, is that the
    disc is okay and the pictures are okay on it.

    The mini-disc is the R/W type. I have Ahead Nero 6.3 and all
    its secondary programs, like InCD, which I am surprised to
    find cannot read the disc, since it can do everything else
    under the sun. And I've tried copying the disc in the way
    Nero allows where an image is written to the local hard
    drive first.

    Doing research on the web, I came across one statement that
    Adaptec's DirectCD program could read the unfinalized disc,
    but I don't have access to that here.

    Appreciate any advice, perhaps there's some other
    major-league cd software (Roxio, Alcohol, etc.) I don't know
    about that would be available here that I could use ?

    thanks, J. Cod
    J. Cod, Sep 21, 2004