    to read the backup files.

    Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?

    Thanks, David
    Dyhibb, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Dyhibb

    Robert Baer Guest

    Dyhibb wrote:

    > I backed up an old computer of mine years ago that was running windows 95. It
    > took about 55 floppys to back it up. I now have a PC running Windows 98 and a
    > Laptop running Windows XP.
    >
    > I would like to go through the old back up files and make see if I want to keep
    > any of them and dispose of the floppys but I can't get my my current computers
    > to read the backup files.
    >
    > Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?
    >
    > Thanks, David

    What you most likely did was use M$ "backup" utility, which *never*
    was a good idea since about 1985.
    The reason was that *every* change in the version of the OS (say DOS
    2.0 to 2.2) the idiots made the formats completely different.
    Unless you can install the exact same version of Win 95, you are up
    the river without the boat, the paddle and also without the river
    itself!
    Robert Baer, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Dyhibb

    Thor Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Dyhibb wrote:
    >>
    >> I backed up an old computer of mine years ago that was running windows
    >> 95. It
    >> took about 55 floppys to back it up. I now have a PC running Windows 98
    >> and a
    >> Laptop running Windows XP.
    >>
    >> I would like to go through the old back up files and make see if I want
    >> to keep
    >> any of them and dispose of the floppys but I can't get my my current
    >> computers
    >> to read the backup files.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can read those files on either of my current computers?
    >>
    >> Thanks, David

    > What you most likely did was use M$ "backup" utility, which *never*
    > was a good idea since about 1985.
    > The reason was that *every* change in the version of the OS (say DOS
    > 2.0 to 2.2) the idiots made the formats completely different.
    > Unless you can install the exact same version of Win 95, you are up
    > the river without the boat, the paddle and also without the river
    > itself!

    not to mention using 55 floppies to back up anything is a really bad idea. 1
    bad floppy and you are screwed.
    Thor, Jan 2, 2005