Reading Media Cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Grey, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Grey

    Grey Guest

    I have noticed a problem with reading memory cards and wondering if its me
    or a common problem. I have a Minolta F200 which uses SD cards. I have two
    card readers. If I connect my camera to my PC via the USB link, no problems
    whatsoever. If I remove the card and use a card reader to transfer the
    images, I have noticed roughly one in ten images comes across "spoiled".
    These images have gross colour/framing distortion and are basically useless.
    But if I reload the image from the card, alls well. I have two readers, two
    PC's. I have several memory cards all 256MB.

    It seems there is a small glitch which can occur occasionally and thus I
    have to Copy the images, as opposed to Move the images. I then have to view
    all the images (thumbnails always appear okay for some reason), pick out the
    distorted ones and recopy them from the card. It doesn't always happen, and
    the first time it did, it gave me the horrors as I thought my camera had
    gone.

    It is for this reason I have to buy a load of cards as opposed to buying one
    of them HD storage devices in case the transferred image has been trashed
    and I loose my pic.

    Anyone else experience this?

    Graham
    Grey, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Grey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Grey wrote:

    > I have noticed a problem with reading memory cards and wondering if its me
    > or a common problem. I have a Minolta F200 which uses SD cards. I have two
    > card readers. If I connect my camera to my PC via the USB link, no problems
    > whatsoever. If I remove the card and use a card reader to transfer the
    > images, I have noticed roughly one in ten images comes across "spoiled".
    > These images have gross colour/framing distortion and are basically useless.
    > But if I reload the image from the card, alls well. I have two readers, two
    > PC's. I have several memory cards all 256MB.
    >
    > It seems there is a small glitch which can occur occasionally and thus I
    > have to Copy the images, as opposed to Move the images. I then have to view
    > all the images (thumbnails always appear okay for some reason), pick out the
    > distorted ones and recopy them from the card. It doesn't always happen, and
    > the first time it did, it gave me the horrors as I thought my camera had
    > gone.
    >
    > It is for this reason I have to buy a load of cards as opposed to buying one
    > of them HD storage devices in case the transferred image has been trashed
    > and I loose my pic.
    >
    > Anyone else experience this?
    >
    > Graham

    I suspect that you already know that your card reader has a problem.
    It may the the hardware, or the software, but something is definitly
    WRONG. I have transfered hundreds of pictures from my SD cards with
    never a hitch, glitch, or bad transfer.
    I use two difference card readers (three if you count my wife's
    printer), and two different computers.
    Ron Hunter, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Grey

    Grey Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Grey wrote:
    >
    > > I have noticed a problem with reading memory cards and wondering if its

    me
    > > or a common problem. I have a Minolta F200 which uses SD cards. I have

    two
    > > card readers. If I connect my camera to my PC via the USB link, no

    problems
    > > whatsoever. If I remove the card and use a card reader to transfer the
    > > images, I have noticed roughly one in ten images comes across "spoiled".
    > > These images have gross colour/framing distortion and are basically

    useless.
    > > But if I reload the image from the card, alls well. I have two readers,

    two
    > > PC's. I have several memory cards all 256MB.
    > >
    > > It seems there is a small glitch which can occur occasionally and thus I
    > > have to Copy the images, as opposed to Move the images. I then have to

    view
    > > all the images (thumbnails always appear okay for some reason), pick out

    the
    > > distorted ones and recopy them from the card. It doesn't always happen,

    and
    > > the first time it did, it gave me the horrors as I thought my camera had
    > > gone.
    > >
    > > It is for this reason I have to buy a load of cards as opposed to buying

    one
    > > of them HD storage devices in case the transferred image has been

    trashed
    > > and I loose my pic.
    > >
    > > Anyone else experience this?
    > >
    > > Graham
    > >

    > I suspect that you already know that your card reader has a problem.
    > It may the the hardware, or the software, but something is definitly
    > WRONG. I have transfered hundreds of pictures from my SD cards with
    > never a hitch, glitch, or bad transfer.
    > I use two difference card readers (three if you count my wife's
    > printer), and two different computers.

    Its going to be difficult to point to a specific problem. I have a PC with a
    USB card reader, I have a Laptop with a built in card reader. I have
    different cards. Problem exists in both seperate systems.

    Graham
    Grey, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Grey

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:29:53 +0000 (UTC), "Grey"
    <> wrote:

    >Its going to be difficult to point to a specific problem. I have a PC with a
    >USB card reader, I have a Laptop with a built in card reader. I have
    >different cards. Problem exists in both seperate systems.
    >

    >Graham

    Since you have two systems that can use the cards, can you do a
    "sneaker net" transfer between them, to get the camera out of the
    loop?
    By this, I mean put some files on a card with the PC, and copy them to
    the laptop using the card only.
    Then reverse the job, going laptop to PC.
    If this works OK, you've pretty much demonstrated the card and the PC
    and laptop setups work OK, leaving the camera as the culprit.
    If tyhis setup doesn't work, you can easily determine where the
    problem is, I would think.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Jun 20, 2004