Reading encrypted Web.Config

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevec, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. Stevec

    Stevec

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Hello,

    I am new to this this site and a newbie to this ASP.net thing, so please forgive me if I did something wrong.

    I have a web application that requires that the connection string be encrypted. I have gone through the walkthrough that MSDN has using the ASPNET_REGIIS command line to 'Create and Export an RSA KEY Container' and every thing appears to encrypt correctly (After I found that there was an error in the walkthough by a user on this site - THANK YOU)

    I create the 'MyKeys' container:
    aspnet_regiis -pc "MyKeys" -exp
    It says Successfull

    I Grant Access to it:
    aspnet_regiis -pa "MyKeys" "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICES"
    It says Successfull

    I Encrypt it:
    aspnet_regiis -pe "connectionStrings" -app "/MyApp" -prov "MyProvider"
    It encrypts the Web.config connection String section just like it should.

    If I run the site from VS2005 using the development server, it works just fine.
    When I try to run it under IIS6 it generates the following error:

    "The RSA key container could not be opened:"

    What am I missing? Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Stevec, Feb 18, 2009

  2. Stevec

    Stevec

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Do to time constraints I used the DataProtectionConfigurationProvider and it is working.
    Stevec, Feb 27, 2009