reading compact flash on different camera than used to take photos (canon to canon)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi,
    A friend is visting me from across the country. He has a Canon A40
    digital camera full of images. He forget to bring his USB cable and
    hence we don't have a means to download the images to my computer (I
    realize we could buy another compact flash card but we actually want
    to download and print some of the photos now). I have a Canon S10
    which, like the A40, uses CompactFlash storage. Naturally my camera
    and his use different cables - sigh.

    My question is as follows: Can I take the CompactFlash out of my
    friend's camera and insert it into my Canon S10 as a means to download
    the images to computer?

    I'm concerned that the S10 may "recognize" that the photos were taken
    with a different camera (even though it's also a Canon) and initialize
    the CompactFlash card (i.e. zap the storage)when I insert it in the
    S10.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 15, 2003