    pate2010 Guest

    I have been given a cd which contains files in VCD format.

    Can someone please tell me of a good VCD file reader.
    pate2010, May 11, 2005

  2. pate2010

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    pate2010 wrote:
    > I have been given a cd which contains files in VCD format.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me of a good VCD file reader.

    Assuming Windows - Windows Media Player and most DVD playing software.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2005

  3. pate2010

    Frank S Guest

    "pate2010" <> wrote in message

    > I have been given a cd which contains files in VCD format.

    Is it a VCD? Or a CD-R that contains mpeg video clips?
    If it is a VCD, you are almost certain to have a media player
    installed that will play the disk, trial and error -simple.
    But, If it is a disk that contains mpeg files...............
    This is different, mpeg is a convoluted format, with many
    variations.
    Place disk in tray.
    Double click "My Computer"
    Locate and double-click the drive in which you placed disk.
    It will open as a folder view, listing contents.
    Double-click one of the mpeg files.
    WMP will open and try to play the file.
    If an error occurs........
    Close WMP
    Now place cursor on one of the files and RIGHT click,
    Select from the menu "Open with"
    A list of possible media players will hopefully be now listed.
    Ensure "always open with etc" is NOT selected.
    Now try each media player until successful.

    This is of course not taking into account codecs etc.

    Frank S, May 11, 2005
  4. It is a cd with 6 files with extensions of vcd. One file has the extesion
    dat

    mohammed patel, May 11, 2005
  5. pate2010

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 11, 2005
  6. pate2010

    Frank S Guest

    "mohammed patel" <> wrote in message
    > It is a cd with 6 files with extensions of vcd. One file has the extesion
    > dat

    Lesson No1
    Please do not top post.

    You supply very little info, so we will try guessing:
    It is a VCD
    Have you attempted to play it?
    Do you receive any error messages?
    What media players are installed on your PC?
    Have you tried playing the disk in any other
    media player? ie: Nero, Roxio, Realplayer etc etc
    What operating system?
    Can you play other media type files on your PC?

    Frank S, May 11, 2005
  7. pate2010

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    mohammed patel wrote:
    > It is a cd with 6 files with extensions of vcd. One file has the extesion
    > dat

    The VCD standard should have three or more folder normally.
    CDI
    MPEGAV
    VCD

    In the MPEGAV folder there should be one or more *.DAT files, which
    contain the actual video. Once again assuming Windows, if you explore
    the CD, navigate to the MPEGAV folder and right-click on the DAT file
    choosing open with (say) WMP, then the file should play OK.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2005