"Read-only" version of Mozilla? (suggestion for a new software idea)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Hallvard Tangeraas, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. I'm sure this has come up before, but since I really can't find a
    solution for it anywhere I'll bring it up....

    I tend to keep all my old email messages (except spam and other junk of
    course) so I can look through them years later if I wish. Up to now I've
    been using Eudora for this as I used Eudora (Mac version) for all my
    email needs in the past. I burned a year worth of email into one folder,
    and found a way to read them from a CD-R, even though it gave me error
    messages about not being able to write (index files) to the CD all the
    time. It's been a while since I did this, and I think I found out that
    only older versions of Eudora worked.

    Anyway, I'm now using Mozilla (Windows and Linux versions) and would
    like to find a good solution for this. I've asked around, but people
    tell me that Mozilla needs to be able to write to the media as well, so
    backing up to CDs is out of the question unfortunately. I really don't
    care if it's Mozilla or not -any application that is easy to use will do
    for me, but I haven't found anything so far, strangely enough (I would
    think backing up and wanting to access old messages now and then would
    be a fairly common issue).

    I'm not a programmer or know anything about that sort of thing, but I
    would think that creating a read-only version of say Thunderbird, being
    able to read previously backed up mail wouldn't be such an impossible
    task. From where I stand it would simply be Thunderbird without all the
    networking stuff and ability to change anything (i.e create new
    mailboxes, rename them etc. and no updating of indexes), because I'd
    obviously organized everything up front within Mozilla, Firefox or whatever.
    Is this something that could be considered?

    --
    Hallvard
    Hallvard Tangeraas, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Hallvard Tangeraas

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: "Read-only" version of Mozilla? (suggestion for a new softwareidea)

    Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

    > I'm sure this has come up before, but since I really can't find a
    > solution for it anywhere I'll bring it up....
    >
    > I tend to keep all my old email messages (except spam and other junk of
    > course) so I can look through them years later if I wish. Up to now I've
    > been using Eudora for this as I used Eudora (Mac version) for all my
    > email needs in the past. I burned a year worth of email into one folder,
    > and found a way to read them from a CD-R, even though it gave me error
    > messages about not being able to write (index files) to the CD all the
    > time. It's been a while since I did this, and I think I found out that
    > only older versions of Eudora worked.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm now using Mozilla (Windows and Linux versions) and would
    > like to find a good solution for this. I've asked around, but people
    > tell me that Mozilla needs to be able to write to the media as well, so
    > backing up to CDs is out of the question unfortunately. I really don't
    > care if it's Mozilla or not -any application that is easy to use will do
    > for me, but I haven't found anything so far, strangely enough (I would
    > think backing up and wanting to access old messages now and then would
    > be a fairly common issue).
    >

    > I'm not a programmer or know anything about that sort of thing, but I
    > would think that creating a read-only version of say Thunderbird, being
    > able to read previously backed up mail wouldn't be such an impossible
    > task. From where I stand it would simply be Thunderbird without all the
    > networking stuff and ability to change anything (i.e create new
    > mailboxes, rename them etc. and no updating of indexes), because I'd
    > obviously organized everything up front within Mozilla, Firefox or
    > whatever.
    > Is this something that could be considered?

    An easy solution for archiving mail.

    Put the mail you wish to archive into a unique folder (eg Arc-Apr-Jun04)
    access the folder while in Mozilla.

    Quit Mozilla.

    Now go into your profile and remove the file by that name, leaving any
    other file such as the .msf or .sbd. I.e. Drag the file
    "Arc-Apr-Jun04" to wherever you wish to store it, leaving the
    "Arc-Apr-Jun04.msf" (and "Arc-Apr-Jun04.sbd" if it exists) in the profile.

    Now, when you wish to read the mail, simply drop the file backinto where
    you removed it from.

    The 'index' file (the xxx.msf) is within the profile and can be written
    to. Its a small file and wont be accessed once you remove its parent,
    the above steps allow you to keep vast stores of mail, without storing
    them actually in the profile

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Hallvard Tangeraas

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:46:06 +0100, in message
    <41de30bc$>, Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

    > I'm sure this has come up before, but since I really can't find a
    > solution for it anywhere I'll bring it up....
    >
    > I tend to keep all my old email messages (except spam and other junk of
    > course) so I can look through them years later if I wish. Up to now I've
    > been using Eudora for this as I used Eudora (Mac version) for all my
    > email needs in the past. I burned a year worth of email into one folder,
    > and found a way to read them from a CD-R, even though it gave me error
    > messages about not being able to write (index files) to the CD all the
    > time. It's been a while since I did this, and I think I found out that
    > only older versions of Eudora worked.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm now using Mozilla (Windows and Linux versions) and would
    > like to find a good solution for this. I've asked around, but people
    > tell me that Mozilla needs to be able to write to the media as well, so
    > backing up to CDs is out of the question unfortunately. I really don't
    > care if it's Mozilla or not -any application that is easy to use will do
    > for me, but I haven't found anything so far, strangely enough (I would
    > think backing up and wanting to access old messages now and then would
    > be a fairly common issue).
    >

    > I'm not a programmer or know anything about that sort of thing, but I
    > would think that creating a read-only version of say Thunderbird, being
    > able to read previously backed up mail wouldn't be such an impossible
    > task. From where I stand it would simply be Thunderbird without all the
    > networking stuff and ability to change anything (i.e create new
    > mailboxes, rename them etc. and no updating of indexes), because I'd
    > obviously organized everything up front within Mozilla, Firefox or whatever.
    > Is this something that could be considered?

    See reply in netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    Ralph Fox, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Hallvard Tangeraas

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_archive.html
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_mailsync.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Hallvard Tangeraas

    Justin Guest

    Moz Champion wrote on [Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:33:29 GMT]:
    > Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure this has come up before, but since I really can't find a
    >> solution for it anywhere I'll bring it up....
    >>
    >> I tend to keep all my old email messages (except spam and other junk of
    >> course) so I can look through them years later if I wish. Up to now I've
    >> been using Eudora for this as I used Eudora (Mac version) for all my
    >> email needs in the past. I burned a year worth of email into one folder,
    >> and found a way to read them from a CD-R, even though it gave me error
    >> messages about not being able to write (index files) to the CD all the
    >> time. It's been a while since I did this, and I think I found out that
    >> only older versions of Eudora worked.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm now using Mozilla (Windows and Linux versions) and would
    >> like to find a good solution for this. I've asked around, but people
    >> tell me that Mozilla needs to be able to write to the media as well, so
    >> backing up to CDs is out of the question unfortunately. I really don't
    >> care if it's Mozilla or not -any application that is easy to use will do
    >> for me, but I haven't found anything so far, strangely enough (I would
    >> think backing up and wanting to access old messages now and then would
    >> be a fairly common issue).
    >>

    >> I'm not a programmer or know anything about that sort of thing, but I
    >> would think that creating a read-only version of say Thunderbird, being
    >> able to read previously backed up mail wouldn't be such an impossible
    >> task. From where I stand it would simply be Thunderbird without all the
    >> networking stuff and ability to change anything (i.e create new
    >> mailboxes, rename them etc. and no updating of indexes), because I'd
    >> obviously organized everything up front within Mozilla, Firefox or
    >> whatever.
    >> Is this something that could be considered?
    >>

    > An easy solution for archiving mail.

    I wouldn't call this solution easy. Easy for someone very familiar with
    the Mozilla profile system and with the OS, maybe. But somewhat tedious.

    Justin, Jan 12, 2005