    still checked and grayed ?

    Thanks

    Edward

    Edward, Jul 15, 2007

  2. Edward

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:01:58 -0000, Edward wrote:

    >Why is it when you click on Properties in any folder in XP and look

    If you mean 'any' then it's a default setting.

    >at the attributes the read-only is always checked and grayed out ?

    Some but not all subfolder / files are RO. If you remove any RO or
    indeed change all to RO you will see the box unticked/white or
    ticked/white.

    >You can undo the check and click apply but when you go back it is
    >still checked and grayed ?

    So after apply, what attribute change did you pick,
    unset read-only to folder only or folder/subfolder and files

    Best way to learn www.google.com , the online MS XP help, the built in
    XP help and practice, create a test folder and copy some files into it
    and try it. Most likely you would have got the answer yourself.

    >Thanks
    >
    >Edward

    Me

    why?, Jul 15, 2007

  3. Edward

    Vanguard Guest

    "Edward" wrote in message
    > Why is it when you click on Properties in any folder in XP and look
    > at the attributes the read-only is always checked and grayed out ?
    > You can undo the check and click apply but when you go back it is
    > still checked and grayed ?

    Microsoft has a huge support knowledgebase that is free for anyone to
    use? Have you yet visited http://support.microsoft.com to first check
    if there is already a solution for your particular problem?

    Folders will always show the read-only attribute. You are mistaking the
    read-only attribute as doing the same function for both folders and
    files. You don't understand the attributes for folders.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

    Do you really have a need to remove the display of "Read only" from
    folders? You never actually mentioned having a real problem (other than
    perception). If Windows is working okay and you can do whatever you
    want with your data files then don't go monkeying around to tweak
    Windows for superfluous changes.

    Vanguard, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Edward

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:01:58 +0000, Edward wrote:

    > Why is it when you click on Properties in any folder in XP and look at
    > the attributes the read-only is always checked and grayed out ? You can
    > undo the check and click apply but when you go back it is still checked
    > and grayed ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Edward

    Just a suggestion, but have you tried doing the same while signed into
    your Administrator account?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04