Read-Only attribute.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patrick D. Rockwell, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. I just discovered that in Windows XP, you can make a file "Read-Only", and
    still be able to delete it. The only difference is that if you try
    to delete a read-only file, the computer will remind you that it is a
    read-only file, and ask you if you still want to delete it. Am I missing
    something? Is that the only difference? I also discovered that makeing
    folders read-only doesn't seem to make ANY difference at all.
    Am I right, or does the read-only attribute restrict non-administrators from
    modifying or deleting the file or folder? Thanks in advance.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell
     
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jul 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Brian Guest

    "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:236Gc.82$...
    > I just discovered that in Windows XP, you can make a file "Read-Only", and
    > still be able to delete it. The only difference is that if you try
    > to delete a read-only file, the computer will remind you that it is a
    > read-only file, and ask you if you still want to delete it. Am I missing
    > something? Is that the only difference? I also discovered that makeing
    > folders read-only doesn't seem to make ANY difference at all.
    > Am I right, or does the read-only attribute restrict non-administrators

    from
    > modifying or deleting the file or folder? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > -------------------------------
    > Patrick D. Rockwell
    >
    >


    read here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418#3
    seeing as you are an admin.. you should have permission to read, write and
    change files even if it is just set to read only.. log in as standard user
    and see if you can still delete it.. if you can read the article above
    explaing how to set advanced file permissions.
     
    Brian, Jul 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brian wrote:
    > "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:236Gc.82$...
    >> I just discovered that in Windows XP, you can make a file
    >> "Read-Only", and still be able to delete it. The only difference is
    >> that if you try
    >> to delete a read-only file, the computer will remind you that it is a
    >> read-only file, and ask you if you still want to delete it. Am I
    >> missing something? Is that the only difference? I also discovered
    >> that makeing folders read-only doesn't seem to make ANY difference
    >> at all.
    >> Am I right, or does the read-only attribute restrict
    >> non-administrators from modifying or deleting the file or folder?
    >> Thanks in advance.


    > read here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418#3
    > seeing as you are an admin.. you should have permission to read,
    > write and change files even if it is just set to read only.. log in
    > as standard user and see if you can still delete it.. if you can read
    > the article above explaing how to set advanced file permissions.


    You completely thick, fucking, coddled, synthetic frankenstein. He isn't having a fucking problem
    deleting files. He's asking a fucking question about XP's BEHAVIOUR, you
    fuckwitted two-channel, fly-covered lecher.
     
    Brian, the keeper of service animals, Jul 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Ian Moyce Guest

    Brian, the keeper of service animals wrote:
    >> Brian wrote:
    >>> "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> news:236Gc.82$...
    >>>> I just discovered that in Windows XP, you can make a file
    >>>> "Read-Only", and still be able to delete it. The only difference is
    >>>> that if you try
    >>>> to delete a read-only file, the computer will remind you that it
    >>>> is a read-only file, and ask you if you still want to delete it.
    >>>> Am I missing something? Is that the only difference? I also
    >>>> discovered that makeing folders read-only doesn't seem to make ANY
    >>>> difference at all.
    >>>> Am I right, or does the read-only attribute restrict
    >>>> non-administrators from modifying or deleting the file or folder?
    >>>> Thanks in advance.

    >>
    >>> read here
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418#3
    >>> seeing as you are an admin.. you should have permission to read,
    >>> write and change files even if it is just set to read only.. log in
    >>> as standard user and see if you can still delete it.. if you can
    >>> read the article above explaing how to set advanced file
    >>> permissions.

    >>
    >> You completely thick, fucking, coddled, synthetic frankenstein. He
    >> isn't having a fucking problem deleting files. He's asking a fucking
    >> question about XP's BEHAVIOUR, you
    >> fuckwitted two-channel, fly-covered lecher.


    PMSL

    --
     
    Ian Moyce, Jul 5, 2004
    #4
  5. Ian Moyce wrote:
    > Brian, the keeper of service animals wrote:
    >>> Brian wrote:
    >>>> "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>> news:236Gc.82$...
    >>>>> I just discovered that in Windows XP, you can make a file
    >>>>> "Read-Only", and still be able to delete it. The only difference
    >>>>> is that if you try
    >>>>> to delete a read-only file, the computer will remind you that it
    >>>>> is a read-only file, and ask you if you still want to delete it.
    >>>>> Am I missing something? Is that the only difference? I also
    >>>>> discovered that makeing folders read-only doesn't seem to make ANY
    >>>>> difference at all.
    >>>>> Am I right, or does the read-only attribute restrict
    >>>>> non-administrators from modifying or deleting the file or folder?
    >>>>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>> read here
    >>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418#3
    >>>> seeing as you are an admin.. you should have permission to read,
    >>>> write and change files even if it is just set to read only.. log in
    >>>> as standard user and see if you can still delete it.. if you can
    >>>> read the article above explaing how to set advanced file
    >>>> permissions.
    >>>
    >>> You completely thick, fucking, coddled, synthetic frankenstein. He
    >>> isn't having a fucking problem deleting files. He's asking a fucking
    >>> question about XP's BEHAVIOUR, you
    >>> fuckwitted two-channel, fly-covered lecher.

    >
    > PMSL


    **** you, too, you belabored, sawn-off chicken.
     
    Ian Moyce, the frilly, lancinating fly, Jul 5, 2004
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Add Subtract

    Remove "Read Only" Attribute?

    Add Subtract, Jul 15, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    35,620
    Shep©
    Jul 15, 2003
  2. Add Subtract

    Re: Remove "Read Only" Attribute?

    Add Subtract, Jul 18, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    789
    Add Subtract
    Jul 18, 2003
  3. anthonyberet

    changing read-only file attribute in batch

    anthonyberet, Feb 21, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    21,137
    nospam
    Feb 25, 2004
  4. John Komar

    Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folders

    John Komar, Mar 20, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    71,006
    LeviGarrett
    Aug 31, 2008
  5. ashjas
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,345
Loading...

Share This Page