    the ads on the right hand side of the page. Does anyone know what would
    cause this? I tried Groups help but no luck.

    , Oct 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    What browser? I have had that problem with Firefox on other sites, but
    not google.

    , Oct 23, 2005

  3. Trax Guest

    Trax, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-10-23, <> wrote:
    > When I try to read googlegroups the text in the posts is running into
    > the ads on the right hand side of the page. Does anyone know what would
    > cause this? I tried Groups help but no luck.

    Have you set Firefox to enlarge the text on web pages? Opera has a better
    approach, as it 'zooms' the whole page not merely the text (and you can
    easily turn off 'javascript' and 'images' and 'plugins' for normal
    browsing, which can save a lot of time and garbage - including some
    adverts; other adverts can be blocked too).

    The Google Groups interface is about the worst possible way to access
    newsgroups. Your ISP should provide an NNTP "news-server" as part of the
    contract, but if they don't you can find several by doing a web-search.
    Mostly they now require payment. The one I use costs 10 Euros per year and
    you can read about it at <http://www.individual.net/>.

    There is a newsgroup alt.free.newsservers for discussing the now sadly rare
    and erratic free news-servers.

    Thunderbird, the e-mail companion to Firefox, can handle newsgroups as well
    as e-mail. There are many dedicated news-reader programs, and you can find
    links and other information here <http://www.newsreaders.com/>.

    See also the newsgroup news.software.readers

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > When I try to read googlegroups the text in the posts is running
    > into the ads on the right hand side of the page. Does anyone
    > know what would cause this? I tried Groups help but no luck.

    What causes this is using a browser to read newsgroups when you should be
    using a newsreader.

    Dave Lear, Oct 23, 2005
  6. poidog Guest

    wrote:
    > What browser? I have had that problem with Firefox on other sites, but
    > not google.

    I'm using Firefox 1.0.7 but haveing the same thing happen with IE6.

    poidog, Oct 23, 2005
  7. poidog Guest

    poidog, Oct 23, 2005
  8. krzysztofras Guest

    rxh
    U¿ytkownik "Whiskers" <> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

    krzysztofras, Oct 24, 2005