Read & Execute

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Paul, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm struggling to understand the Folder Permission - Read
    & Execute, and even to put my question down into words,
    so this might not make sense, but here goes:-

    Read & Execute allows a user to Traverse folders, (which
    allows the user to reach files/folders in subdirectories
    even if the user does not have permission to access
    portions of the directory path), and perform the
    actions permitted by the 'read' and 'list folder
    contents' permissions.

    So when you allow Read and Execute on a folder, both
    the 'read' and 'list folder contacts' check boxes are
    checked as well as the 'Read and Execute' permission.

    If you only apply 'read' permission to a folder you can
    list folder contents, open the files (but not save them
    back) and traverse the folders and subfolders.

    If you only apply 'list folder contents' you can see
    what's in the folder, but you can't open files and you
    can traverse folders and subfolders.

    I fail to see what advantage 'Read and Execute would give
    you??

    Any help appreciated

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Paul

    Jerz Guest

    From "Help & Support Center":

    For folders: Traverse Folder allows or denies moving through folders to
    reach other files or folders, even if the user has no permissions for the
    traversed folders. (Applies to folders only.) Traverse folder takes effect
    only when the group or user is not granted the Bypass traverse checking user
    right in the Group Policy snap-in. (By default, the Everyone group is given
    the Bypass traverse checking user right.)
    For files: Execute File allows or denies running program files. (Applies to
    files only).

    Setting the Traverse Folder permission on a folder does not automatically
    set the Execute File permission on all files within that folder.

    Jerz, Nov 19, 2004

  3. >From "Help & Support Center":

    now you've confused him!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Paul

    Not Known Guest

    thanks jerz

    Not Known, Nov 19, 2004
  5. easy, no?

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:20:13 -0000, "Not Known"
    <> wrote:

    >thanks jerz
    >
    >"Jerz" <> wrote in message
    >> From "Help & Support Center":
    >>
    >> For folders: Traverse Folder allows or denies moving through folders to
    >> reach other files or folders, even if the user has no permissions for the
    >> traversed folders. (Applies to folders only.) Traverse folder takes effect
    >> only when the group or user is not granted the Bypass traverse checking
    >> user right in the Group Policy snap-in. (By default, the Everyone group is
    >> given the Bypass traverse checking user right.)
    >> For files: Execute File allows or denies running program files. (Applies
    >> to files only).
    >>
    >> Setting the Traverse Folder permission on a folder does not automatically
    >> set the Execute File permission on all files within that folder.
    >>

    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm struggling to understand the Folder Permission - Read
    >>> & Execute, and even to put my question down into words,
    >>> so this might not make sense, but here goes:-
    >>>
    >>> Read & Execute allows a user to Traverse folders, (which
    >>> allows the user to reach files/folders in subdirectories
    >>> even if the user does not have permission to access
    >>> portions of the directory path), and perform the
    >>> actions permitted by the 'read' and 'list folder
    >>> contents' permissions.
    >>>
    >>> So when you allow Read and Execute on a folder, both
    >>> the 'read' and 'list folder contacts' check boxes are
    >>> checked as well as the 'Read and Execute' permission.
    >>>
    >>> If you only apply 'read' permission to a folder you can
    >>> list folder contents, open the files (but not save them
    >>> back) and traverse the folders and subfolders.
    >>>
    >>> If you only apply 'list folder contents' you can see
    >>> what's in the folder, but you can't open files and you
    >>> can traverse folders and subfolders.
    >>>
    >>> I fail to see what advantage 'Read and Execute would give
    >>> you??
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Paul

    ME Guest

    actually before READ and EXECUTE are

    READ and CONFUSED
    READ and UNDERSTOOD.

    If you follow the order you can READ and EXECUTE.

    ME, Nov 19, 2004