Read & Execute Permissions

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Not Known, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Not Known

    Not Known Guest

    I'm struggling to understand the Folder Permission - Read & Execute, and
    even to put my question down into words, so this might not make sense, but
    here goes:-

    Read & Execute allows a user to Traverse folders, (which allows the user to
    reach files/folders in subdirectories even if the user does not have
    permission to access portions of the directory path), and perform the
    actions permitted by the 'read' and 'list folder contents' permissions.

    So when you allow Read and execute on a folder, both the 'read' and 'list
    folder contacts' check boxes are checked.

    If you only apply 'read' permission to a folder you can list folder
    contents, open the files (but not save them back) and traverse the folders
    and subfolders.

    If you only apply 'list folder contents' you can see what's in the folder,
    but you can't open files and you can traverse folders and subfolders.

    I fail to see what advantage 'Read and Execute would give you??

    Any help appreciated

    paul

    Not Known, Nov 17, 2004

  2. you're not really cut out for this, are you...

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:21:39 -0000, "Not Known"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm struggling to understand the Folder Permission - Read & Execute, and
    >even to put my question down into words, so this might not make sense, but
    >here goes:-
    >
    >Read & Execute allows a user to Traverse folders, (which allows the user to
    >reach files/folders in subdirectories even if the user does not have
    >permission to access portions of the directory path), and perform the
    >actions permitted by the 'read' and 'list folder contents' permissions.
    >
    >So when you allow Read and execute on a folder, both the 'read' and 'list
    >folder contacts' check boxes are checked.
    >
    >If you only apply 'read' permission to a folder you can list folder
    >contents, open the files (but not save them back) and traverse the folders
    >and subfolders.
    >
    >If you only apply 'list folder contents' you can see what's in the folder,
    >but you can't open files and you can traverse folders and subfolders.
    >
    >I fail to see what advantage 'Read and Execute would give you??
    >
    >Any help appreciated
    >
    >paul

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2004

  3. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    > you're not really cut out for this, are you...

    He took his question to the MCSA group, since we're just a bunch of
    meany-heads in here. Oddly enough, several people answered his questions in
    there. They only get one Paul a month or so. We get a Paul twenty times a
    day in here.

    --
    Fris "MCSA's try harder" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 19, 2004
  4. >> you're not really cut out for this, are you...

    >He took his question to the MCSA group, since we're just a bunch of
    >meany-heads in here. Oddly enough, several people answered his questions in
    >there. They only get one Paul a month or so. We get a Paul twenty times a
    >day in here.

    PoTD

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2004