    in front of whatever I do every so many minutes which makes me quite
    disinclined to want to buy this software.

    tia, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 31, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in
    news::

    > Does anybody know of a shareware/freeware program like dvdidle that does
    > a read-ahead cache for dvd/cd drives?
    >
    > I don't need most of the functioality of dvdidle since I have anydvd
    > already, and the trial version annoys the heck out of me by popping up
    > in front of whatever I do every so many minutes which makes me quite
    > disinclined to want to buy this software.
    >
    > tia, -Peter

    I thought Nero CD Speed had a setting to stop them from spinning down.
    IMHO, it is the spin up and spin down that causes problems. I could be
    wrong...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 1, 2005

  3. In article <Xns9668B25959C0Cdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...

    > I thought Nero CD Speed had a setting to stop them from spinning down.
    > IMHO, it is the spin up and spin down that causes problems. I could be
    > wrong...
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    DVDIdle keeps the drive spun down most of the time. It uses a 512 Mb
    ramdisk on my system to do a read-ahead cache for the movie I want to
    watch, so most of the time the drive is quiet, it only spins up whe the
    player gets near the end of the data in the cache and reads in new data
    for what seems like a few seconds, then it spins down again.
    They claim that this extends the life of the laser; it certainly keeps
    things much quieter in terms of drive noise which is actually my main
    concern at this point :)

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2005