    either repair or reinstallation in the same box (but perhaps on a different
    drive) of XP x64 will require reactivation.

    , Jul 21, 2009

  2. Yes. Reactivation will be required.

    This will probably be simple - just activate online - unless the
    hardware is seen as significantly different. Just changing the disk on
    which the OS is installed is unlikely to cause problems, but a repair
    install or re-installation may switch the system back to basic Microsoft
    drivers from the chipset manufacturer's, which is seen as a significant
    hardware change.

    If it is more than 120 days since last activation, online activation
    will probably be automatic, whatever hardware the OS is reinstalled on.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 22, 2009

  3. tsperling Guest

    I general, I agree - but I've seen instances when a repair ought to have
    triggered a re-activation (new motherboard!) and didn't. But it is quite
    trivial unless you happen to not have an internet account, or you want to
    install pirated software. 'Activation' is NOT 'Registration'. You just click
    a button to satisfy the robots!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Correct. And even if you have significantly different hardware, if you
    haven't activated recently, you will go through automatically.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2009