Reaching 45gb of data wipes out new 80gb drive???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rick, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    PC: Micron Transport GX+ notebook, fairly new model when purchased in
    11/00. Pentium 700, Memory 320MB.
    BIOS: Latest Phoenix BIOS, 11/03.
    OS: Win 98SE
    My computer literacy: Somewhat.

    Background:
    My pc has had a 30gb IDE main hard drive, plus another 30gb drive in
    the options bay. (Performance of the latter was always very sluggish,
    although I doubt that was due to the drive itself). Both hdds were
    Hitachi/IBM. The second drive seemed to be going bad over the last
    few months -- often the system wouldn't even recognize it until
    several reboots, and I would hear clacking noises at times. Since I
    thought this was likely due to the pc "roughing up" the drive in that
    bay, I decided to eliminate it, stop using a secondary hdd, and
    instead replace the main 30gb hdd with an 80gb Hitachi.

    A few years ago Micron (now MPC) support told me the pc could not
    handle hdd's greater than 30 (or maybe it was 40gb). But about a year
    ago a salesperson at MPC insisted that this was incorrect, and that I
    had been told that simply because 30 or 40gb was the largest drive
    size available when the system was being sold. She told me she
    double-checked this with tech support and was assured the system could
    indeed handle much larger drives.

    The Issue (a strange one):
    So anyway, using Drive Image 5.0 I created a clone of my original
    primary drive onto nthe new 80gb hdd, again all as one partition
    (which means I had Drive Image expand the approx 30gb C partition to
    approx 80gb.) Went without a hitch. The BIOS conformed the drive as
    80 gb.

    Then I started adding data to the new 80 gb hard drive (on top of the
    approx 24 gb of data I had transferred over via the Drive Image copy).
    But when I got to about 45 gb of data -- ie., added about 21 gb (not
    all at once, BTW) -- Windows Explorer said something to the effect of
    "drive full, please delete some files". And then -- here's the kicker
    -- when I clicked "OK", the system crashed, and upon reboot I was left
    with a completely data-less, UNFORMATTED disk. Norton Disk Doctor
    rescue disk could recognize no data, and was able to do nothing. I
    was left with a start from scratch proposition (fortunately I had the
    old disk as a backup).

    Several more tries, same result! I even tried dividing the new disk
    into three partions < 30 gb each in case there was some sort of
    partition size issue, but with the exact same result. I also tried
    using Drive Image to copy over the data from the old secondary drive
    as a full partition -- rather than simply copying via Windows Explorer
    -- but here Drive Image would get about 50-70% through the copy
    process, say "Disk Read Error" and stop…and the result would be the
    same: new main drive instantly and completely wiped out

    I'm no expert on hard drives, but there are really two questions here
    -- Why am I reaching the capacity issue, and
    -- Even more troubling…assuming some pc component or some relevant
    software
    really DOES have a capacity limitation of 40-50gb, should
    hitting
    this maximum capacity instantly nuke all data and formatting????
    Could
    the new 80gb HDD be bad? If so, how can I tell?

    Would greatly appreciate any ideas, suggestions. For now, I've just
    gone back to the 30gb main drive (and archived what was on the
    secondary to external storage), because I can't take a chance on
    losing everything
    whenever I reach some apparent limit ofsomewhere between 40-50 gb on
    the new 80 gb hdd.

    BTW, there's no evidence whatsoever of a virus.

    Thanks in advance,
    Rick

    Rick, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Rick

    SA Guest

    Hewllo. Try putting the drive in another computer and see if that happens
    again. I am not an axpert on drives either, but give it a try.

    SA, Aug 13, 2004