Re: Zone Alarm problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by William Munny, Jul 28, 2009.

  1. <> wrote in message
    > I've used Zone Alarm for years. But lately, a couple of programs, which
    > I've
    > also used for a long time, keep coming up asking for permission to access
    > the
    > internet. They are AdAware and AVG Antivirus. Each time, I grant them
    > access and
    > tell Zone Alarm to remember the setting. But every day, the same request
    > comes
    > up again. I've checked the list of program access in Zone Alarm and
    > they're both
    > checked off as okay for internet access. Why is Zone Alarm asking me every
    > day
    > about these programs? Seems to be happening since the last update of Zone
    > Alarm.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Zone Alarm version 8.0.298.000

    Never good to run two antivirus programs on the same computer-- they fight
    all the time.

    William Munny, Jul 28, 2009

  2. William Munny

    Mike Easter Guest

    William Munny wrote:
    > <>

    >> I've used Zone Alarm for years.

    >> They are AdAware and AVG Antivirus.

    > Never good to run two antivirus programs on the same computer-- they
    > fight all the time.

    ZA is a so-called software firewall, not an AV.
    AdAware Free (presumption) is anti-spyware, not AV.
    AVG Free (presumption) is AV & antispyware.

    .... and rfdjr1 needs to configure hir newsreader with a handle/nym and
    consider using an invalid address in the From.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 28, 2009

  3. In message <>, "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > William Munny wrote:
    > > <>

    > >> I've used Zone Alarm for years.

    > >> They are AdAware and AVG Antivirus.

    > > Never good to run two antivirus programs on the same computer-- they
    > > fight all the time.

    > ZA is a so-called software firewall, not an AV.
    > AdAware Free (presumption) is anti-spyware, not AV.
    > AVG Free (presumption) is AV & antispyware.
    >

    > .... and rfdjr1 needs to configure hir newsreader with a handle/nym and
    > consider using an invalid address in the From.

    D00d, thats *very* insulting. rfdjrl was named after his father, and his father
    before him.
    But being the modest individual rfdjrl is, he negects to put 'III' after.

    FYI
    HTH

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 28, 2009
  4. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "William Munny" wrote:
    >> Never good to run two antivirus programs on the same computer-- they
    >> fight all the time.

    > Zone alarm = firewall
    > AdAware = Anti-spyware.
    > AVG = Antivirus.
    >
    > What's the OP's second AV?

    It's been a long time since I used ZA (gotta have Windows, fer goodness
    sake!), but didn't earlier versions of ZoneAlarm Free contain some sort
    of a-v scanning?

    Maybe only on files in and out .. I don't remember.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2009
  5. William Munny

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:49:53 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >It's been a long time since I used ZA (gotta have Windows, fer goodness
    >sake!), but didn't earlier versions of ZoneAlarm Free contain some sort
    >of a-v scanning?
    >
    >Maybe only on files in and out .. I don't remember.

    ZA had no A/V whatsoever - when I used it. Things may have changed,
    but I doubt it.

    Evan Platt, Jul 31, 2009
  6. William Munny

    XS11E Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    > ZA had no A/V whatsoever - when I used it. Things may have
    > changed, but I doubt it.

    They have a complete "Security Suite" that includes firewall, AV and
    anti-spyware.

    IMO, ZA is much worse malware then what it tries to protect against.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Jul 31, 2009
  7. William Munny

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >>It's been a long time since I used ZA (gotta have Windows, fer goodness
    >>sake!), but didn't earlier versions of ZoneAlarm Free contain some sort
    >>of a-v scanning?
    >>
    >>Maybe only on files in and out .. I don't remember.

    >ZA had no A/V whatsoever - when I used it. Things may have changed,
    >but I doubt it.

    I've been running 5.5.094 for many years now at least since April 19,
    2005, it's build date. It has an anti virus option that I've never
    used, I think it was the first version to advertise it had included
    anti-virus.

    All ZA's I used before that had a neat option that if you downloaded
    malware from the newsgroups it would be renamed <filename>.ZMP and
    placed somewhere else. - I really miss that feature.

    Might still have it, but don't want to enable the Antivirus.

    --

    Wilt Chamberlain and Andre the Giant -- holding up Arnold Schwarzenegger (on the set of Conan).
    http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/andreconanwilt.jpg

    , Aug 1, 2009