Re: YouTube upload fails?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:19:13 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > It's open for public viewing. It,s a clip of Amy, my granddaughter and
    > my daughter's boyfriend Lee messing about at the Albert Dock in
    > Liverpool this summer.
    > Link:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdf-mwSwauQ
    >
    > Kenny

    Heh. I know what's on *my* to-do list for next summer. A twenty-minute
    drive from here will get me to Albert Dock.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 8, 2010

  2. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:13:35 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > Greatest thing ever happened here was Ryanair putting on a daily flight
    > to Liverpool.

    Derry has an airport now? When I left Norn Iron the only airport was
    Aldergrove.

    > If you're flexible about dates it can be very cheap. Last
    > year I got to Liverpool for £16.99 and back for £1, that's not a typo it
    > is £1.

    Yeah. There are all sorts of cheap flight deals you can get hold of these
    days. Beats me how they can make a decent profit.

    Aardvark, Nov 9, 2010

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:49:10 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:13:35 +0000, Kenny wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greatest thing ever happened here was Ryanair putting on a daily
    >>> flight to Liverpool.

    >> Derry has an airport now? When I left Norn Iron the only airport was
    >> Aldergrove.
    >>
    >>> If you're flexible about dates it can be very cheap. Last
    >>> year I got to Liverpool for £16.99 and back for £1, that's not a typo
    >>> it is £1.

    >> Yeah. There are all sorts of cheap flight deals you can get hold of
    >> these days. Beats me how they can make a decent profit.
    >>

    > Derry's airport used to be the old Eglinton airfield, used by the RAF
    > during the war then the British Army had it for a while.

    I have a feeling that I read somewhere that it was a US air base (despite
    the RAF designation).

    > All modernised
    > now and they've just completed a new dual carriageway to it. Aldergrove
    > is now George Best Airport and there's also City Airport in Belfast.

    Yeah. I know about City airport. I think it's at Sydenham (halfway
    between Belfast and Hollywood).

    > How long is it since you've been here, you seem a bit out of touch?

    I last set foot on Irish soil in January of 1974.

    > It's changed a lot, Derry is the European City Of Culture for 2013 and
    > there's a big build up to it.

    Heh, we had that in Liverpool in 2009. Only difference that made was that
    when you got back to where your car was parked, the wheels were gone and
    it was sitting on four piles of books.

    > We're also nearly finished the new "Peace Bridge" from behind the
    > Guildhall across to the old Ebrington Barracks. Look at some of the
    > links here:
    > http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=857&q=derry's

    +peace+bridge&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=999b1a7ff08dd911

    An elegant structure. Last time I was in Derry, what is now Ebrington
    Barracks was called HMS Sea Eagle LOL. I might have been there on the
    last Sunday of January 1972, but our coach from Belfast was turned back
    somewhere outside the city.

    > Kenny

    Aardvark

    Aardvark, Nov 10, 2010
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:18:47 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Kenny wrote:
    >> Last Sunday of January 1972 was Bloody Sunday, few of us can forget
    >> that day.
    >>
    >> Kenny

    > The politicians would have us believe that whilst not forgotten, all
    > fault on all sides has been forgiven.

    Not until justice can be had for the dead and injured.

    Widgery sullied their names with his whitewashed report and totally
    exonerated the paras, many of whom, as announced by Lord Saville in his
    report, lied through their teeth to both tribunals.

    Criminal prosecutions against those involved should have been instigated
    long ago. The unjustified and unjustifiable killings of those fourteen
    defenceless innocents calls for it.

    > Is that how you see things at the coal-face, as it were, Kenny?

    Any thinking person would.

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:48:06 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:18:47 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:
    >
    >> Kenny wrote:
    >>> Last Sunday of January 1972 was Bloody Sunday, few of us can forget
    >>> that day.
    >>>
    >>> Kenny

    >> The politicians would have us believe that whilst not forgotten, all
    >> fault on all sides has been forgiven.

    > Not until justice can be had for the dead and injured.
    >
    > Widgery sullied their names with his whitewashed report and totally
    > exonerated the paras, many of whom, as announced by Lord Saville in his
    > report, lied through their teeth to both tribunals.
    >
    > Criminal prosecutions against those involved should have been instigated
    > long ago. The unjustified and unjustifiable killings of those fourteen
    > defenceless innocents calls for it.
    >

    >> Is that how you see things at the coal-face, as it were, Kenny?

    > Any thinking person would.

    A reasonably detailed pictorial account of what happened that day and
    some comments on each death from Lord Chief Justice Saville:

    <http://snipurl.com/1fn4lk>

    The following link may be of interest:

    <http://www.bloody-sunday-inquiry.org/>

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  6. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    ?
    > Last Sunday of January 1972 was Bloody Sunday, few of us can forget that
    > day.

    It was our intention to join the march in Derry that day. I might
    possibly have been one of those throwing missiles at troops at 'Aggro
    Corner' that day, and who knows how *that* might have turned out? No more
    Aardvark.

    At that time, internment week was still fresh in our minds, and the week
    of fighting we had gone through in the defence of West Belfast, all the
    way from the Clonard area of the Falls Road, Grosvenor Road, Springfield
    Road all the way to the Glen Road and Monagh Road by Turf Lodge, finally
    watching the Brits assault and take the estate from a vantage point
    overlooking the action. It took them about eight hours to do so, despite
    there being no more than perhaps three or four armed men defending that
    side of the estate.

    These men were, of course, long gone by the time the Brits took the
    estate.

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:03:46 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >> The following link may be of interest:
    >>
    >> <http://www.bloody-sunday-inquiry.org/>
    >>

    > I'd rather not open a can of worms again.

    What ever made you think it had been closed? I suppose you accepted
    Widgery's bullshit as gospel.

    And, anyway, you *did* ask.

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  8. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:35:07 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > I would like to know why you have been afraid to step onto Irish soil

    Who said that? I certainly didn't, and therefore there's no question to
    answer nor explanation required.

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  9. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:43:08 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:35:07 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to know why you have been afraid to step onto Irish soil

    >> Who said that? I certainly didn't, and therefore there's no question to
    >> answer nor explanation required.

    > You felt the British were your enemy when you lived in Belfast -

    Not necessarily, although they did operate in support of those who
    considered me *their* enemy.

    > yet you
    > came to the mainland to raise your children under a more secure mantle.

    No, I didn't. I came to England for reasons totally disconnected with the
    raising of children, under a secure mantle or otherwise.

    > How 'brave' is that?

    Neither brave nor cowardly. My leaving Norn Iron had nothing to do with
    events taking place there at the time.

    > Something just doesn't quite ring true.

    LOL. Another one of your 'hinky' feelings?

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  10. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:07:44 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> You felt the British were your enemy when you lived in Belfast -

    >> Not necessarily, although they did operate in support of those who
    >> considered me *their* enemy.

    > Surely the British Army were supporting the police

    All the more reason to mistrust them.

    > - trying to keep
    > Catholics and Protestants apart.

    Is that why they drove around the Lower Falls Road in 1969 in armoured
    cars using Browning .30 machine guns mounted on top to shoot up houses at
    random?

    > Do you perceive that they favoured one
    > side more than the other?

    You don't know much about N.I. history in general, or the R.U.C. in
    particular, do you? Or worse- the 'B' Specials. Google is your friend.

    >>> yet you
    >>> came to the mainland to raise your children under a more secure
    >>> mantle.
    >>>

    >> No, I didn't. I came to England for reasons totally disconnected with
    >> the raising of children, under a secure mantle or otherwise.

    > <shrug> If you don't say, I'll never know.

    That's right, but you may rest assured that what I wrote above is the
    truth.

    > You have demonstrated that
    > you've not preferred to be in Northern Ireland more than in England -

    Nothing of the kind. I am where I am. That's all there is.

    When I last left N.I., I had no intention of not returning. It just
    turned out that way. I might go back there someday, I might not.

    > simply by still being here. Your kids are ENGLISH aren't they? <grin>

    Nope. Scousers. Half-Irish at that.

    >>> How 'brave' is that?

    >> Neither brave nor cowardly. My leaving Norn Iron had nothing to do with
    >> events taking place there at the time.

    > If you say so.

    I say so.

    > I have no idea.

    What's new?

    >>> Something just doesn't quite ring true.

    >> LOL. Another one of your 'hinky' feelings?

    > Not at all.

    So why hint that I may be, to some extent, mendacious?

    > I have no conflict with you, AFAICT! :)

    I've had enough conflict in my life, thanks.

    Aardvark, Nov 11, 2010
  11. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:45:13 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> Surely the British Army were supporting the police

    >> All the more reason to mistrust them.

    > I've always trusted the police. They only took me to court once when a
    > youth!

    I never trusted the RUC.

    >>> - trying to keep
    >>> Catholics and Protestants apart.

    >> Is that why they drove around the Lower Falls Road in 1969 in armoured
    >> cars using Browning .30 machine guns mounted on top to shoot up houses
    >> at random?

    > I expect the guys would rather have been at home with their loved ones!

    I wasn't referring to the British Army, I was referring to the RUC (or,
    more specifically, the 'B' Special Constabulary of the RUC).

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    Ulster_Special_Constabulary#1969_Riots_deployment>

    >>> Do you perceive that they favoured one side more than the other?
    >>>

    >> You don't know much about N.I. history in general, or the R.U.C. in
    >> particular, do you? Or worse- the 'B' Specials. Google is your friend.

    > NI has never really been of any concern to me.

    Thus defeating one of the aims of IRA bombing campaigns on the mainland-
    to encourage to ask themselves why these people were doing such things on
    their doorstep, and research the answer for themselves, as a result they
    would find themselves in sympathy with the Nationalist population of NI
    and encourage their government to pull out of the province.

    I always thought that was a sto0pid idea, knowing from an early age that
    many people prefer to wallow in ignorance and prejudice rather than
    become educated.

    > Except when my son was
    > serving over there as a helicopter pilot - two tours in fact. An
    > opportunity to save some money, but no life for a young man.

    I doubt that old men could have done it.

    >>> <shrug> If you don't say, I'll never know.

    >> That's right, but you may rest assured that what I wrote above is the
    >> truth.

    > I don't doubt what you say when you say it - but you have never AFAICR
    > said why you couldn't succeed in life in your homeland.

    LOL. There you go, making assumptions.

    > Maybe you refer
    > to becoming a Marine Engineer - but if so, did you have to come to
    > England to achieve that ambition? I've no idea.

    There is (or was, in my day) one merchant naval nautical college in NI.
    It trains officer cadets on the navigation side of things only. There
    were, at the time, perhaps half a dozen colleges on the mainland where
    engineering cadets were trained. My older brother went to Stowe Nautical
    College in Glasgow (sponsored by J. & J Denholm, a ship management
    company), my younger brother to Riverside College in Liverpool (sponsored
    by P & O- you know who they are), I went to Highbury Technical College in
    Portsmouth (sponsored by BP Tankers- you might have heard of them).

    >>> You have demonstrated that
    >>> you've not preferred to be in Northern Ireland more than in England -

    >> Nothing of the kind. I am where I am. That's all there is.
    >>
    >> When I last left N.I., I had no intention of not returning. It just
    >> turned out that way. I might go back there someday, I might not.
    >>
    >>> simply by still being here. Your kids are ENGLISH aren't they?<grin>

    >> Nope. Scousers. Half-Irish at that.

    > It's hard to imagine anything worse! ;-)

    From here, I can't think of anything better. Except, of course, 100%
    Irish.

    >>> If you say so.

    >> I say so.
    >>
    >>> I have no idea.

    >> What's new?

    > You are simply not nice. :(

    'Course I am.

    >>> Not at all.

    >> So why hint that I may be, to some extent, mendacious?

    > I just wanted to chat. Seems to have worked! :)

    Ain't no chat. Just me supplying you with facts to assuage your 'hinky'
    feelings. I wasn't originally going to write this reply, just to let you
    stew in your own hinkyness juices..

    >>> I have no conflict with you, AFAICT! :)

    >> I've had enough conflict in my life, thanks.

    > That really is quite sad.

    No. It is what it is. I'm quite content with where my life is at present,
    and were it not for what went before- the sum of my experiences, if you
    will- I might not be in this contented place.

    Not sad.

    Aardvark, Nov 12, 2010
  12. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:38:27 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > It sounded as if you had a painful struggle to get there though -

    No more painful than that of many others. Less painful than that of
    multitudes.

    > but
    > I'm pleased you are not now sad.

    I don't do sad.