Re: Your prefered photo editing software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Unclaimed Mysteries, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. JMooreTS wrote:

    > I'd like to know the editing program you prefer.
    >
    > I'm heading into doing doing scans of all my old negs and prints. I've used
    > Microsoft's Picture It in the past for cropping and light editing of digital
    > snapshots. It is much too limited.
    >
    > I used to do a fair amount of b/w darkroom and have a good understanding of the
    > principles. I am comfortable with computer programs (system is Windows XP). I
    > do not plan to do any graphics work.
    >
    > I am currently trying out Picture Window Pro (like it). I'll try out a demo of
    > Photoshop next. But life is too short to try everything (Paint Shop Pro,
    > Ulead, etc. etc.). So, tell me what you like, please, and why.

    Linux: The Gimp.
    Win98SE: PaintShop Pro and The Gimp.

    Earlier versions of The Gimp were a bit goofy in Windows, but the latest
    release is quite stable. Nice to be able to use the same kind of
    software in different OSes.

    I also use PaintShop Pro 7, and am trying out 8. Version 8 has some
    limited scripting ability. Yea! And advanced lens correction and
    perspective functions. Yea! To summarize many commentators, PSP is much
    more than Elements, a little less than full Photoshop. But it's also
    means about $600 more staying in your pocket. Unless you got it at work.
    (Or from work. Heh. Not to be construed as endorsing cyber-terro-piracy,
    Mr Ashcroft.)

    The Gimp is worth trying out, and leaves your pictures sparkling fresh
    with open-source goodness. Just get ready to do a LOT with the
    right-click button.

    Corry

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs
    of Iraq." --Paul Wolfowitz

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <P8x4b.12348$>, Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:

    > Linux: The Gimp.
    > Win98SE: PaintShop Pro and The Gimp.

    I run linux normally, so of course I have The GIMP. I must admit that I
    rarely use it. I has the tools in there, but I just haven't taken the time
    to really learn it. I should. Normally I use Photoshop 7, but it ticks me
    off because of the JPG/browser thing that I have to keep remembering.
    Do you know of any good learning resources for The GIMP?

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Mike Graham wrote:

    > I run linux normally, so of course I have The GIMP. >

    [snip]

    > Do you know of any good learning resources for The GIMP?

    Have you tried Grokking the Gimp, a book which is available for
    reading online or for download as an HTML file? A Google search for
    that title will lead you to it.

    -- Ron
    (who uses Photoshop Elements 2.0)

    Ronald Hands, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <bj0muc$h77$>, Ronald Hands wrote:

    > Have you tried Grokking the Gimp, a book which is available for
    > reading online or for download as an HTML file?

    I'll look for it. Thanks, eh?

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 2, 2003