Re: Your Identity is Exposed!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by VanguardLH, Oct 11, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > Your Identity is Exposed!

    Yet another scammer trying to use scare tactics.

    > Did you know your IP address is exposed every time you visit a
    > website?

    That's how TCP works. Every host knows the IP address of whatever
    other host connects to it. That's how it know where to return the data
    that the other host requested. Duh!

    > http://www. <spammedsite>. com/<assocID>/hmip.html
    >
    > Your IP address is your online identity

    No, it isn't. The user doesn't own the IP address. It is assigned to
    them by their ISP. The IP address only tracks back to the ISP. Only
    the ISP knows who used which IP address at what time.

    > and could be used by hackers to break into your computer

    No, it can't. An IP address does not allow a vector into your host. A
    process MUST be listening on a port and accept inbound connects. If
    there is no process listening on a port, that port cannot be used to
    get into the host. If you have malware that has a process listening on
    a port, hackers don't need your IP address. Their malware takes care
    of letting them get into your host.

    > and steal your personal information.

    Again only if you have a process listening on a port that accepts
    unsolicited inbound connect requests and which can access any file
    regardless of permission on your host.

    > Hide My IP allows you to surf anonymously, change your IP address,
    > prevent identity theft, and guard against hacker intrusions, all with
    > the click of a button

    Oh yeah, so if the user is scared that their ISP is going to know where
    they visit, they should trust an unknown owner of an unregulated proxy,
    uh huh, sure. Yeah, like that's more secure ... NOT!

    > Awesome, easy-to-use product!

    Yep, just give them your data, like your logins and credit card
    numbers. Boobs that fall for this sh^t deserve what they get.

    VanguardLH, Oct 11, 2008

  2. On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:32:26 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Yep, just give them your data, like your logins and credit card
    > numbers. Boobs that fall for this sh^t deserve what they get.

    That's harsh.

    Rufus Leaking, Oct 11, 2008