    Get yourself a better operating system.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Identity wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:
    >>> http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

    >> Thanks for the warning, but that's old stuff.
    >>
    >> Get yourself a better operating system.

    > Oh, you mean like this one, because I don't see post abouts malware
    > issues posted by posters anymore in those NG(s).

    That sentence is hard to parse. Which NGs?

    Yes, like that one. Get yourself a better operating system.

    <snip 200 lines>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 16, 2008

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Identity added these comments in the current discussion du jour

> [...]

    > Applications should not attempt to modify WRP-protected
    > resources because these are used by Windows and other
    > applications. If an application attempts to modify a
    > WRP-protected resource, it can have the following results.
    >
    > Application installers that attempt to replace, modify, or
    > delete critical Windows files or registry keys may fail to
    > install the application and will receive an error message
    > stating that access to the resource was denied.
    >
    > Applications that attempt to add or remove sub-keys or change
    > the values of protected registry keys may fail and will
    > receive an error message stating that access to the resource
    > was denied. Applications that rely on writing any information
    > into protected registry keys, folders, or files may fail.
    >

    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382530(VS.85).aspx>
    >
    > Permission for full access to modify WRP-protected resources
    > is restricted to TrustedInstaller. WRP-protected resources can
    > be changed only using the Supported Resource Replacement
    > Mechanisms with the Windows Modules Installer service.
    >
    > WRP protects files with the following extensions that are
    > installed by Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista: .dll, .exe,
    > .ocx, and .sys.
    >
    > WRP protects critical files that are installed by Windows
    > Server 2008 or Windows Vista with the following extensions:
    > .acm, .ade, .adp, .app, .asa, .asp, .aspx, .ax, .bas, .bat,
    > .bin, .cer, .chm, .clb, .cmd, .cnt, .cnv, .com, .cpl, .cpx,
    > .crt, .csh, .dll, .drv, .dtd, .exe, .fxp, .grp, .h1s, .hlp,
    > .hta, .ime, .inf, .ins, .isp, .its, .js, .jse, .ksh, .lnk,
    > .mad, .maf, .mag, .mam, .man, .maq, .mar, .mas, .mat, .mau,
    > .mav, .maw, .mda, .mdb, .mde, .mdt, .mdw, .mdz, .msc, .msi,
    > .msp, .mst, .mui, .nls, .ocx, .ops, .pal, .pcd, .pif, .prf,
    > .prg, .pst, .reg, .scf, .scr, .sct, .shb, .shs, .sys, .tlb,
    > .tsp, .url, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vsmacros, .vss, .vst, .vsw, .ws,
    > .wsc, .wsf, .wsh, .xsd, and .xsl.
    >
    > WRP protects critical folders. A folder containing only
    > WRP-protected files may be locked so that only the Windows
    > trusted installer is able to create files or subfolders in the
    > folder. A folder may be partially locked to enable
    > Administrators to create files and subfolders in the folder.
    >
    > <http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/10/08/user-account-contr
    > ol.aspx>
    >
    > User Account Control (UAC) is, arguably, one of the most
    > controversial features in Windows Vista. Why did Microsoft add
    > all those popups to Windows? Does it actually improve
    > security? Doesn’t everyone just click “continue”? Has anyone
    > in Redmond heard the feedback on users and reviewers? Has
    > anyone seen a tv commercial about this feature?
    >
    > In the course of working on Windows 7 we have taken a hard
    > look at UAC – examining customer feedback, volumes of data,
    > the software ecosystem, and Windows itself. Let’s start by
    > looking at why UAC came to be and our approach in Vista.
    >
    > And finally, last week's attack report, but hey, nothing is

    just curious, but isn't snopes really a bizarre form of either an
    oxymoron or a self fulfilling prophecy? It has been getting a lot
    of press of late but I think I feel better with my suite of non-
    interlocking malware detectors fully up to date than looking at a
    web site for urban legends, rumors and confirmed facts
    intertwined. That is, I view it as looking into a mirror with
    another mirror behind me, can't tell if what I see is real or the
    N + 1 reflection.

    This much I do know. An unknown but rather large number of
    infections come from blindly clicking on links people post on
    Usenet. Even blindly clicking on notes from friends can be
    dangerous if you notice that the E-mail is a forward of a forward
    of a forward of ... and there're hundreds of E-mail addys - now
    including yours - that are probably compromised.

    Cheers!

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Efficiency is doing things right, effectiveness is doing the
    right things" - Peter Drucker
    HEMI-Powered, Oct 16, 2008
  4. Identity wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Identity wrote:

    >>> Oh, you mean like this one, because I don't see post abouts malware
    >>> issues posted by posters anymore in those NG(s).

    >> That sentence is hard to parse. Which NGs?

    > Well of course that would be Vista NG(s).

    Wouldn't you think those people should post in a malware group?

    >> Yes, like that one. Get yourself a better operating system.

    > I am already using one.

    No, not if you are worried about those postcard .exe's.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 16, 2008
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:45:24 -0400, Identity wrote:

    >> Yes, like that one. Get yourself a better operating system.
    >>
    >> <snip 200 lines>

    > I am already using one.

    Yeah. Whatever you say.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com
    Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Identity added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >> just curious, but isn't snopes really a bizarre form of
    >> either an oxymoron or a self fulfilling prophecy? It has been
    >> getting a lot of press of late but I think I feel better with
    >> my suite of non- interlocking malware detectors fully up to
    >> date than looking at a web site for urban legends, rumors and
    >> confirmed facts intertwined. That is, I view it as looking
    >> into a mirror with another mirror behind me, can't tell if
    >> what I see is real or the N + 1 reflection.

    > What the hell are you talking about here? You don't include in
    > the the heard.

    I'm saying that I don't go to some web site just because people
    say so, but especially snopes.com because I think it is bullshit.

    > <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Hundreds-Click-on-Click-Here
    > -to-Get-Infected-Ad/>
    >
    >> This much I do know. An unknown but rather large number of
    >> infections come from blindly clicking on links people post on
    >> Usenet. Even blindly clicking on notes from friends can be
    >> dangerous if you notice that the E-mail is a forward of a
    >> forward of a forward of ... and there're hundreds of E-mail
    >> addys - now including yours - that are probably compromised.

    > Your addy may be compromised, but I highly doubt mine is
    > compromised.
    >
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >
    > You ever hear of an email client proxy program?

    I did information security professionally for the last 5 1/2
    years of my career and knew enough that there's only two kinds of
    people that've never been compromised - the arrogant and the
    ignorant. Which are you? Probably both. As to E-mail vs malware
    from a web site, I was talking more about the threat from just
    going to web sites not known to be safe and certainly not
    downloading things that I know are the type to be wary of.

    Yes, I know what an E-mail client program is and I also know how
    to set up both active and passive malware protection. But, I am
    skeptical of your knowledge and protection since you have an
    "attitude" that I think I'll be seeing more of you about when you
    get nailed investigating something you should've known better
    than to trifle with.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 16, 2008
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Identity added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >> just curious, but isn't snopes really a bizarre form of
    >> either an oxymoron or a self fulfilling prophecy? It has been
    >> getting a lot of press of late but I think I feel better with
    >> my suite of non- interlocking malware detectors fully up to
    >> date than looking at a web site for urban legends, rumors and
    >> confirmed facts intertwined. That is, I view it as looking
    >> into a mirror with another mirror behind me, can't tell if
    >> what I see is real or the N + 1 reflection.

    > <correction>
    >
    > What the hell are you talking about here? You don't include
    > *me* in the the heard.

    Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your in
    a heard or a herd. What I was talking about is that I think that
    snopes.com is bullshit and may be a place where the naive are
    caught by the purveyors of malware whilst they're finding out if
    their fav rumor or urban legend is true or not. In my view,
    there're far safer ways of validating rumors.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 16, 2008
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:40:29 +0000, HEMI-Powered wrote:

    > Identity added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    >>> just curious, but isn't snopes really a bizarre form of either an
    >>> oxymoron or a self fulfilling prophecy? It has been getting a lot of
    >>> press of late but I think I feel better with my suite of non-
    >>> interlocking malware detectors fully up to date than looking at a web
    >>> site for urban legends, rumors and confirmed facts intertwined. That
    >>> is, I view it as looking into a mirror with another mirror behind me,
    >>> can't tell if what I see is real or the N + 1 reflection.

    >> <correction>
    >>
    >> What the hell are you talking about here? You don't include *me* in the
    >> the heard.
    >>

    > Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your in a heard
    > or a herd. What I was talking about is that I think that snopes.com is
    > bullshit and may be a place where the naive are caught by the purveyors
    > of malware whilst they're finding out if their fav rumor or urban legend
    > is true or not. In my view, there're far safer ways of validating
    > rumors.

    I notice that your verbal contretemps with shit-fer-brains caused you to
    inadvertently take my nym in vain.

    Say five decades of the Rosary, a Glory Be to The Father, three Hail
    Mary's and one Our Father.

    Then go in peace, my son :).

    Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008
  9. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:43:51 -0400, Identity wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> I am already using one.

    >> Yeah. Whatever you say.
    >>

    > Do you think anyone cares what you're talking about, you Geritol
    > drinking old hag?

    Hey DUH-ane. Love the new nym!

    Aardvark, Oct 16, 2008
  10. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    adaur Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    > Identity added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >
    >>> just curious, but isn't snopes really a bizarre form of
    >>> either an oxymoron or a self fulfilling prophecy? It has been
    >>> getting a lot of press of late but I think I feel better with
    >>> my suite of non- interlocking malware detectors fully up to
    >>> date than looking at a web site for urban legends, rumors and
    >>> confirmed facts intertwined. That is, I view it as looking
    >>> into a mirror with another mirror behind me, can't tell if
    >>> what I see is real or the N + 1 reflection.

    >> <correction>
    >>
    >> What the hell are you talking about here? You don't include
    >> *me* in the the heard.
    >>

    > Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your in
    > a heard or a herd. What I was talking about is that I think that
    > snopes.com is bullshit and may be a place where the naive are
    > caught by the purveyors of malware whilst they're finding out if
    > their fav rumor or urban legend is true or not. In my view,
    > there're far safer ways of validating rumors.

    Aardvark did not say that -- Identity did.
    adaur, Oct 17, 2008
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Aardvark added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >> Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your
    >> in a heard or a herd. What I was talking about is that I
    >> think that snopes.com is bullshit and may be a place where
    >> the naive are caught by the purveyors of malware whilst
    >> they're finding out if their fav rumor or urban legend is
    >> true or not. In my view, there're far safer ways of
    >> validating rumors.

    > I notice that your verbal contretemps with shit-fer-brains
    > caused you to inadvertently take my nym in vain.

    Yeah, I did. Just as I hit Send, I realized I was replying to the
    wrong post in the thread. My apologies, Aardvark.

    > Say five decades of the Rosary, a Glory Be to The Father,
    > three Hail Mary's and one Our Father.

    OK. I'll seek redemption in the confessional booth and maybe also
    do a novena or a stations of the cross for penance. Gee,
    forgotten what those things were!

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 17, 2008
  12. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:46:19 -0800, adaur wrote:

    >> Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your in a
    >> heard or a herd. What I was talking about is that I think that
    >> snopes.com is bullshit and may be a place where the naive are caught by
    >> the purveyors of malware whilst they're finding out if their fav rumor
    >> or urban legend is true or not. In my view, there're far safer ways of
    >> validating rumors.
    >>

    > Aardvark did not say that -- Identity did.

    That wasn't Identity, that was DUH-ane Arnold :)

    Aardvark, Oct 17, 2008
  13. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:39:16 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:46:19 -0800, adaur wrote:
    >
    >>> Wasn't talking to you at all, Aardvark nor was I putting your in a
    >>> heard or a herd. What I was talking about is that I think that
    >>> snopes.com is bullshit and may be a place where the naive are caught by
    >>> the purveyors of malware whilst they're finding out if their fav rumor
    >>> or urban legend is true or not. In my view, there're far safer ways of
    >>> validating rumors.
    >>>

    >> Aardvark did not say that -- Identity did.

    >That wasn't Identity, that was DUH-ane Arnold :)

    That should be "The Pillsbury DUH-boy."

    HTH

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Oct 18, 2008
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:09:03 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:39:16 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Aardvark did not say that -- Identity did.

    >>That wasn't Identity, that was DUH-ane Arnold :)

    > That should be "The Pillsbury DUH-boy."
    >
    > HTH

    :)

    Aardvark, Oct 18, 2008
  15. On Oct 16, 5:55 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Identity wrote:
    > >http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

    > Thanks for the warning, but that's old stuff.

    He posted the same stuff in the Vista groups and got the same
    response. Somehow that surprised him.

    Actually, I think he was under the assumption that the notice was new
    since he just hasn't had the time to keep up on those matters because
    he's spent MOST of the last six months changing nicks to elude
    killfiles over in the Vista and the Linux groups.
    COLA Loon's Nick-list Keeper, Oct 20, 2008
  16. On Oct 17, 7:47 pm, Linux Pimps <> wrote:

    > You two shouldn't lick each other's pussy to hard now.

    WHUPS.... there he ("Identity") is again... with another of his newest
    nicks.

    Two lists of his nicks follow, one for Vista groups, the other for
    Linux.advocacy:

    VISTA:
    MOST RECENT:
    Jack the Ripper
    Paul Montgomery
    Mick Murphy

    THE FULL LIST:
    Anti on Chicken Little(s)
    Chicken Little Albright
    Dan S-illy aka Barney Phife
    Doctor Bee
    General Paul Montgomery
    General Paul Montgomery1
    General Paul Montgomery2
    General Paul Montgomery3
    General Paul Montgomery4
    General Paul Montgomery5
    General Paul Montgomery6
    General Paul Montgomery7
    Hunting for JackA$$
    Jack the Ripper
    Junk Yard Dog
    Kotex Queen Clear Windows
    Linux Pimps
    Mick Murphy
    Montgumdrop
    Mr. Arnold
    MontGumDropped1 Paul
    Paul MontDenturesDropped
    Paul Montgomery
    Paul Montgomery 9000
    Paul Montgumdrop
    Pauly
    Ringmonster
    Sudden Impact
    Tall Tales Albright
    The Bee
    The Big Ticket
    The Hornet
    Van Helsing the Albright Hunter

    LINUX.ADVOCACY:
    MOST RECENT:
    Linux Pimps
    Identity
    Chris Alstrom

    THE FULL LIST:
    Anti on Chicken Little(s)
    Anti on Linux Sinister Chicken Littles
    Brown Nosing Linonut
    Chris Ahlstrom
    chrisv1
    COLA Fish and Game
    COLO Loons
    COLA People Controller
    COLA Sucks
    Confused Donkey
    Identity
    Linonut
    Linux Pimps
    Linux Sucks
    Little Mad Dog
    Montgumdrop
    MontGumDropped1 Paul
    Paul MontDenturesDropped
    Paul Montgomery
    Paul Montgumdrop
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    Savwafare with Flare
    Sudden Impact
    The Bee
    The Big Ticket
    The Hornet
    The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger1
    The Lone Ranger2
    Triple X Killer
    COLA Loon's Nick-list Keeper, Oct 20, 2008