Re: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    richard, Apr 20, 2010

  2. Jane Galt wrote:
    > I just started getting this today:
    > http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    Your link ends with: /Windows
    You need to use file names without spaces, or encode them this way:
    <http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows%207%20activation%20error.jpg>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:17:12 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    This is not a microsoft dialog screen. As you can see the name "Asustek
    Computers", this tells me it is a campaign to get you to go to their
    website.

    First, clear out your temp internet files cache history.
    Then install and run malwarebytes.
    If that doesn't show anything, then install "Hijackthis", and post the
    results to their forum.

    Figure out when this thing started happening. Then do a system restore
    before that date. I once had a real bastard thing take over my machine,
    showing up when I booted up. I was ready to start over from scratch until I
    tried a system restore back to the beginning. That cured the problem.
    richard, Apr 21, 2010
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:01:15 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Jane Galt wrote:
    >> I just started getting this today:
    >> http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    > Your link ends with: /Windows
    > You need to use file names without spaces, or encode them this way:
    > <http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows%207%20activation%20error.jpg>

    copy and paste beyond your intelligence?
    richard, Apr 21, 2010
  5. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Jane Galt wrote:
    >>> I just started getting this today:
    >>> http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    >> Your link ends with: /Windows
    >> You need to use file names without spaces, or encode them this way:
    >> <http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows%207%20activation%20error.jpg>

    > copy and paste beyond your intelligence?

    It takes too many G's to copy and paste. I'd rather just click.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2010
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:15:34 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > richard <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:17:12 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    >> This is not a microsoft dialog screen. As you can see the name "Asustek
    >> Computers", this tells me it is a campaign to get you to go to their
    >> website.
    >>
    >> First, clear out your temp internet files cache history.

    > How come?

    Various website scripts can still run even if you do nothing. This type of
    scam relies on the user never clearing the cache.

    >> Then install and run malwarebytes.

    > Had it already, just ran a quick scan, found nothing.
    >
    >> If that doesn't show anything, then install "Hijackthis", and post the
    >> results to their forum.
    >>
    >> Figure out when this thing started happening.

    > A few days ago.
    >
    >> Then do a system restore
    >> before that date. I once had a real bastard thing take over my machine,
    >> showing up when I booted up. I was ready to start over from scratch until I
    >> tried a system restore back to the beginning. That cured the problem.
    >>

    > Will the system restore keep everything I've put on it since this happened?

    Yes. If you have installed a new program between those two dates, make sure
    you have a copy of the install program in a safe place like in another
    partition. But play it safe and go back at least a month.
    richard, Apr 21, 2010
  7. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Apr 21, 2010
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2010
  9. richard

    Jordon Guest

    Jane Galt wrote:
    > I dont know if it's a Win 7 thing or something, but HijackThis says it cant
    > access the hosts file. I checked the mentioned directory and it isnt there,
    > nor is the hosts file it mentions.

    I ran into a nasty piece of malware a couple of weeks ago
    that marked the hosts file hidden and read only. After
    telling Explorer to show hidden files, there it was but
    Windows wouldn't let me change the attributes. I had to
    use a third party utility to delete it.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Apr 21, 2010
  10. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:34:20 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:30:25 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:42:34 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    >>How about carets?
    >>
    >><http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg>

    > That did it! At least in Agent.
    > Good find!

    Someone here suggested it recently, possibly Mike Easter. I've been using
    it for a few weeks with links and it even works for long ones which would
    otherwise break over two lines.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 21, 2010
  11. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:01:28 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>> http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg

    >> How about carets?

    > These? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

    Does it matter whether they point north, south, east or west?

    >> <http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg>

    > Still only a partial clickable link, in Pan and in Dialog, but works in
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (for Linux).

    Works in my version of Pan. Weird, eh?

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  12. Aardvark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Aardvark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> How about carets?

    >> These? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)
    >>

    > Does it matter whether they point north, south, east or west?

    Normally .. um .. yes. <g>

    >>> <http://lakewoodcolorado.net/Sarah/Windows 7 activation error.jpg>

    >> Still only a partial clickable link, in Pan and in Dialog, but works in
    >> Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 (for Linux).

    > Works in my version of Pan. Weird, eh?

    You have the Beta, I have the Stable. And the horses? The horses ate all
    the carets.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2010
  13. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:31:06 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> Works in my version of Pan. Weird, eh?

    > You have the Beta, I have the Stable.

    Sure it's not the other way round?

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  14. Aardvark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> [Aardvrk wrote:]
    >>> Works in my version of Pan. Weird, eh?

    >> You have the Beta, I have the Stable.

    > Sure it's not the other way round?

    Sure. Top of pages:
    http://pan.rebelbase.com/
    http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2010
  15. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:00:15 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You have the Beta, I have the Stable.

    >> Sure it's not the other way round?

    > Sure. Top of pages:
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

    My mistook. I've been using this version for at least three years LOL. And
    it's still fucking beta!!!!

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  16. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:08:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:59:53 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:34:20 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> That did it! At least in Agent.
    >>> Good find!

    >>Someone here suggested it recently, possibly Mike Easter. I've been
    >>using it for a few weeks with links and it even works for long ones
    >>which would otherwise break over two lines.

    > Shouldn't the line breaks actually be underscores that are not vi sable
    > because the link entire link is underlined?
    >
    > /windows_7_activation_error.jpg

    To avoid the problem we're seeing? Probably. Underscores are more likely
    to keep the link complete, IME.

    > So when the link is cut and pasted you need <> on the ends to preserve
    > the underscores?

    No, I don't think so. The < and > on the ends would appear to tell a
    newsreader that everything in between is link, spaces and all. Or at least
    that's the way I figure it.

    As I said, it was a method for keeping links intact over multiple
    newsreader lines that was recommended a few weeks ago, and it hasn't
    failed me yet.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  17. Aardvark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >> Sure. Top of pages:
    >> http://pan.rebelbase.com/
    >> http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

    > My mistook. I've been using this version for at least three years LOL. And
    > it's still fucking beta!!!!

    Ayup. The development process seems to be .. um .. slow and meticulous?
    Doesn't matter, though. It's still a good newsreader.

    Oh, you do know that 0.132/133 is completely different (internally) from
    the previous 0.14.2 versions? I don't remember exactly, but I think a new
    crew took over the maintenance of Pan. I could look it up, but hey, it's
    time for breakfast...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2010
  18. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:45:36 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:45:36 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>> Sure. Top of pages:
    >>> http://pan.rebelbase.com/
    >>> http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

    >> My mistook. I've been using this version for at least three years LOL.
    >> And it's still fucking beta!!!!

    > Ayup. The development process seems to be .. um .. slow and meticulous?
    > Doesn't matter, though. It's still a good newsreader.

    No argument from me on that score.

    > Oh, you do know that 0.132/133 is completely different (internally) from
    > the previous 0.14.2 versions? I don't remember exactly, but I think a
    > new crew took over the maintenance of Pan. I could look it up, but hey,
    > it's time for breakfast...

    Don't put yourself out, I'll take your word for it. You go get your daily
    cholesterol hit.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  19. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:40:04 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Oh ok I thought the OP posted a link and the next to read anded up with
    > a broken link. I'm wondering if encapsulating a message ID string in <>
    > has been done for this purpose?

    No. She posted a link containing spaces in the name of the document to
    which the URI referred, thus breaking the link, so everyone was searching
    for some method of posting that link without breaking it and getting a 404
    error.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>
    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  20. Meat Plow wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> No. She posted a link containing spaces in the name of the document to
    >> which the URI referred, thus breaking the link, so everyone was
    >> searching for some method of posting that link without breaking it and
    >> getting a 404 error.

    > How did the spaces get in the link?

    The OP posted a link to an image, "Windows 7 activation error.jpg" at the
    end of the link. File name with spaces. Many newsreaders broke the
    clickable link at the first space.

    > I haven't seen a URL that I can remember where the entire link wasn't a
    > continuous line of characters unless this is something new.

    Normally, that's true.

    {Spaces in file names seems to be a Windows malady... <g>)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2010