Re: Yosemite in timelapse HD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul in Houston TX, Jan 28, 2012.

  1. Mark F wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:02:10 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> This should provide some incentive for those who have yet to experience
    >> Yosemite, to make that trip.
    >> < http://vimeo.com/35396305 >

    > I don't understand how the meteor trails work: it seems like
    > meteor trails last too long. Did they:
    > 1. photograph many more frames than were displayed and edit
    > to keep more frames from the brief times when trails were visible.
    > or
    > 2. the field of view is so many miles that trail of a meteor
    > moving at perhaps 30 miles/second stay in view long enough
    > to look like a moving object? How far apart timewise were
    > the displayed frames at about 2:38? I'm bad at estimating things
    > and can't decide how many degrees per second things seem to be
    > moving. I couldn't find a technical description of the shoot.

    I agree. Something not right here.
    I have been an amateur astronomer for many years.
    The sky on the videos moves per earth rotation but the
    flashes continue straight. They are moving very slowly,
    what ever they are, just a few mph.

    Many are identical repeats. Meteors often never make it from
    horizon to horizon. They fade out.
    I don't see any flashing marker lights from very slow moving
    aircraft or weather balloons.
    Something tells me that many of the effects are digitally
    drawn in later. And not just on the night vids.
    Nice vids, but not real.

    Paul in Houston TX, Jan 28, 2012

  2. Paul in Houston TX

    NM5K Guest

    On 1/28/2012 1:39 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

    > Many are identical repeats. Meteors often never make it from
    > horizon to horizon. They fade out.
    > I don't see any flashing marker lights from very slow moving
    > aircraft or weather balloons.
    > Something tells me that many of the effects are digitally
    > drawn in later. And not just on the night vids.
    > Nice vids, but not real.

    Most I saw were obviously aircraft flying over.
    I think the reason you don't notice the marker lights
    is that they were using long exposures and the markers
    tend to blend together to make one long streak.
    They only look like repeats because they are all flying
    the same airways. IE: J58-80 runs right across the park
    a bit north of Mammoth Lakes running E-W on a line
    pretty much from Oakland to Manteca, and then over to
    Coaldale NV. There are others, and also an intersection
    pretty much right over the park. Some may make turns
    at that intersection. The planes flying regular jet airways
    airways will not be flying perfect tracks, but pretty
    danged close to someone watching from below.
    If the planes are using RNP navigation, they will show almost
    perfect tracks over the same routes being as the lateral error
    is so low.
    The Southwest jets I run on my sim are RNP equipped.
    The lateral navigation is so accurate that if I were to
    approach an airport using an RNP approach, I won't fly
    over the same neighborhood every time, I'll fly over the
    same houses in that neighborhood every time.
    Anyway, to my beady eyeballs, those are all aircraft, with
    a few meteors thrown in every once in a while.
    Naturally, the meteors don't run from horizon to horizon
    like the aircraft do, but fizzle out pretty fast.

    NM5K, Jan 28, 2012

  3. NM5K wrote:
    > On 1/28/2012 1:39 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
    >

    >> Many are identical repeats. Meteors often never make it from
    >> horizon to horizon. They fade out.
    >> I don't see any flashing marker lights from very slow moving
    >> aircraft or weather balloons.
    >> Something tells me that many of the effects are digitally
    >> drawn in later. And not just on the night vids.
    >> Nice vids, but not real.

    > Most I saw were obviously aircraft flying over.
    > I think the reason you don't notice the marker lights
    > is that they were using long exposures and the markers
    > tend to blend together to make one long streak.
    > They only look like repeats because they are all flying
    > the same airways. IE: J58-80 runs right across the park
    > a bit north of Mammoth Lakes running E-W on a line
    > pretty much from Oakland to Manteca, and then over to
    > Coaldale NV. There are others, and also an intersection
    > pretty much right over the park. Some may make turns
    > at that intersection. The planes flying regular jet airways
    > airways will not be flying perfect tracks, but pretty
    > danged close to someone watching from below.
    > If the planes are using RNP navigation, they will show almost
    > perfect tracks over the same routes being as the lateral error
    > is so low.
    > The Southwest jets I run on my sim are RNP equipped.
    > The lateral navigation is so accurate that if I were to
    > approach an airport using an RNP approach, I won't fly
    > over the same neighborhood every time, I'll fly over the
    > same houses in that neighborhood every time.
    > Anyway, to my beady eyeballs, those are all aircraft, with
    > a few meteors thrown in every once in a while.
    > Naturally, the meteors don't run from horizon to horizon
    > like the aircraft do, but fizzle out pretty fast.

    Cool! Thank you for the information.

    Paul in Houston TX, Jan 29, 2012