Re: Yaho Ferrit is dead

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Long live the Ferrit, bout time they put that miserable vermin down.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10551507
    >
    > But man what a spin doctor yarn the press release is. They cant admit that
    > they got it wrong and the market wasnt there for an over priced piece of
    > shit shopping mall on the net. best part no more ferrit adds on TV.

    Never doubted it would struggle.
    Portals like that only work when the solve issues like distance or
    availability for the customer.
    For most customers all it added was another layer and it's attendant costs.
    From what I've seen most of the product was available in normal retail
    stores where the customer could go and 'kick the tyres' & 'do their own
    deal' and probably find it had a cheaper ticket price anyway. The few
    products that were different were so grossly overpriced or so gimmicky it
    makes one wonder just how stooooooopid they though the average customer was.

    There are successful retail websites in NZ.
    Successful because they provide a 'simple' solution to the tyrannies of
    distance or availability I mentioned before.
    Two examples I can think of:

    IQtoys.co.nz.
    Provide quality toys for overseas clients delivered for less than the cost
    of buying and freighting them from UK/Aussy/USA.
    A lot of the toys were also unique & not available in the normal retail
    shops here in NZ.

    Ascent.co.nz
    Very wide range of product, excellent ordering and delivery.
    Probably more to the point they have a lot of detail on their website about
    each product.
    Try finding out about a product on Hardly Normals website!
    (mind you their sales droids are no better)

    I also see Ferrit was a pet project of the late unloved Theresa Gattung.
    That was one CEO that seriously didn't 'get it'

    RIP

    Rant over
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 12, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > There are successful retail websites in NZ.
    > Successful because they provide a 'simple' solution to the tyrannies of
    > distance or availability I mentioned before.
    > Two examples I can think of:
    >
    > IQtoys.co.nz.
    > Provide quality toys for overseas clients delivered for less than the
    > cost of buying and freighting them from UK/Aussy/USA.
    > A lot of the toys were also unique & not available in the normal retail
    > shops here in NZ.
    >
    > Ascent.co.nz
    > Very wide range of product, excellent ordering and delivery.
    > Probably more to the point they have a lot of detail on their website
    > about each product.
    > Try finding out about a product on Hardly Normals website!
    > (mind you their sales droids are no better)

    Also oneday, firstin, offtheback to cater to peoples desire to get a
    perceived bargain that others may miss out on - a powerful selling tool.

    There's torpedo 7, which is doing very well. Pricespy sort of do what
    ferrit tried to do but is actually useful.

    Ferrit just listed the normal prices for the finance retailers who have
    to build that cost into their shop prices so are not competitive when
    looking online. They also had a bitch of a navigation to deal with, slow
    site load times and inconsistent navigation and catagorization with a
    useless search tool.
    Richard, Jan 14, 2009

  3. PeeCee

    nicz1

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    See also new gadget sites like Freeviewshop.co.nz great shop for all the Freeview gear, PVRs..
    nicz1, Mar 16, 2009