Re: Xtra 'Total Home' package attracting complaints

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. In article <491a0076$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >According to a contact at the Advertising Standards Authority, complaints
    >are already coming in against the Telecom/Xtra 'Total Home' TV ads.
    >
    >The complaints allege that the TV ad (featuring a room filled with
    >coloured lolly balls) is deceptive because it depicts a movie download as
    >consuming a far smaller proportion of the monthly 10GB quota than it is
    >in reality.

    Quota is not mentioned IIRC (other than comparing by eye, the relative fall
    of coloured things), so that complaint would appear to be 'without
    foundation' :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:54:12 -0800, starlyte wrote:

    > Where do you legally download feature length movies from? I believe
    > typical movies on the internet are short - like trailers

    http://www.archive.org/index.php

    Lodi

    Lodi, Nov 12, 2008

  3. In article <>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:21:42 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Quota is not mentioned IIRC (other than comparing by eye, the relative
    >> fall of coloured things), so that complaint would appear to be 'without
    >> foundation' :)

    >Do the math. According to Xtra's website, the Total Home package has a
    >10GB quota after which the user is blessed with dialup speed for the rest
    >of the month.
    >
    >The file for a feature-length movies is typically a minimum of 700MB, and
    >more usually 1-2GB at quality. You can add another 50-100% if downloading
    >via bittorrent. So let's call it a conservative 1GB for simplicity. The
    >ad, when it depicts the movie download, doesn't get anywhere near 1/10th
    >of the balls. I agree with the complainants.

    All of your data is fine ... and yet, there is no actual data supplied on
    the ad IIRC (a common thing with ads generally, yes ?).

    You can't complain about data that's given or even implied I suggest, if it
    isn't in fact given in a measureable way. :)

    To me, the misleading thing was, that the whole room was full of coloured
    things. Knowing it's telecon, that just looked wrong ... and the possibility
    of getting more at the pull of a string whenever *you* wanted ? ...
    laughable. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2008
  4. In article <491a413d$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:54:12 -0800, starlyte wrote:
    >
    >> Where do you legally download feature length movies from?

    >Plenty of free feature length videos are available for download. For
    >example, the video Earthlings, a documentary about animal farming
    >practices and the meat industry: http://dl.veg-tv.info/Earthlings.avi
    >
    >> I believe
    >> typical movies on the internet are short - like trailers

    >Short videos are not 'movies' - the word 'movie' can be reasonably held
    >to imply 'feature-length', ie around 75-150 minutes.

    Interesting assumption. As a counter example, the "short movie competition"
    is for movies from 2-7 minutes long. Yes, more often called "shorts" perhaps
    ... but movies none the less. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2008
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 12 Nov 2008 15:36:45 +1200, vitw wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:54:12 -0800, starlyte wrote:
    >
    >> Where do you legally download feature length movies from?

    > Plenty of free feature length videos are available for download. For
    > example, the video Earthlings, a documentary about animal farming
    > practices and the meat industry: http://dl.veg-tv.info/Earthlings.avi
    >
    >> I believe
    >> typical movies on the internet are short - like trailers

    > Short videos are not 'movies' - the word 'movie' can be reasonably held
    > to imply 'feature-length', ie around 75-150 minutes.

    Lol, what bullshit. The only person misleading is YOU.

    Get a life you fucking cock sucker.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 12, 2008
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 13 Nov 2008 10:54:27 +1200, vitw wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:26:58 -0800, starlyte wrote:
    >
    >> Most movies/clips/films/videos that people watch on the internet are
    >> generally short, Like youtube and all the many variations of that

    > If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    > would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    > length?

    In your case it would have been a gay porno flick, ay? You cock sucking
    faggot.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 12, 2008
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 12 Nov 2008 14:58:35 +1200, vitw wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:21:42 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> Quota is not mentioned IIRC (other than comparing by eye, the relative
    >> fall of coloured things), so that complaint would appear to be 'without
    >> foundation' :)

    > Do the math. According to Xtra's website, the Total Home package has a
    > 10GB quota after which the user is blessed with dialup speed for the rest
    > of the month.
    >
    > The file for a feature-length movies is typically a minimum of 700MB, and

    Where in the add did it mention feature-length movies, ay, fag boy?

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 12, 2008
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:21:42 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <491a0076$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >>According to a contact at the Advertising Standards Authority, complaints
    >>are already coming in against the Telecom/Xtra 'Total Home' TV ads.
    >>
    >>The complaints allege that the TV ad (featuring a room filled with
    >>coloured lolly balls) is deceptive because it depicts a movie download as
    >>consuming a far smaller proportion of the monthly 10GB quota than it is
    >>in reality.

    > Quota is not mentioned IIRC (other than comparing by eye, the relative fall
    > of coloured things), so that complaint would appear to be 'without
    > foundation' :)

    Spare a thought for the unfortunate sodds that have to read through all the
    bullshit complaints sent through on that website link.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 12, 2008
  9. In article <491b5093$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:26:58 -0800, starlyte wrote:
    >
    >> Most movies/clips/films/videos that people watch on the internet are
    >> generally short, Like youtube and all the many variations of that

    >If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >length?

    An assumption is not reality ... and is usually far from it. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2008
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:47:32 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >>> would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >>> length?

    >> An assumption is not reality ... and is usually far from it. :)
    >>

    > The reality is that people will assume when they hear the word movie
    > that you are talking about a full length movie.

    Proove it.

    > A feature length movie is by far the most common that people watch.

    Proove it. I'd argue the downloaded 5-10 minute porno movie is most common.

    > Just look at a TV guide, probably over 95% of the movies are around 90 minutes.

    Just look at the Internet, probably over 95% of the movies are around 5-10
    minutes if that.

    > So given that, if an advertisement uses the word 'movie' then it would
    > be misleading if they are talking about a 1 minute short movie.

    I can't believe how many cock sucking fuckwits like you post in here.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:49:54 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > starlyte wrote:
    >>> If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >>> would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >>> length?

    >> That depends on the context
    >> If on the internet, then no i would not presume its feature length
    >> If it was from a DVD or television, then i would presume feature
    >> length
    >>
    >> Short movies are more commonly avaialble on the internet then feature
    >> lenthgh films

    > I think most people refer to those as clips, video clips , videos or
    > shorts, even youtube themselves call them videos.

    No, everyone I know calls them movies.

    > I bet if you took a survey on the street and asked what movies people
    > had seen lately, none would list some video clip they saw on the internet.

    I think, assume, and bet if you took a survey on the street, they'd call
    you a fuckwit!

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:03:20 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> The reality is that people will assume when they hear the word movie
    >>> that you are talking about a full length movie.

    >> Proove it.
    >>
    >>> A feature length movie is by far the most common that people watch.

    >> Proove it. I'd argue the downloaded 5-10 minute porno movie is most common.

    > Yeah you are probably right, I am sure they are downloaded more often.
    > I just don't believe the average person watching the telcom advert when
    > they hear they can download movies is thinking about youtube clips or
    > some short porn movie.
    >

    >>> Just look at a TV guide, probably over 95% of the movies are around 90 minutes.

    >> Just look at the Internet, probably over 95% of the movies are around 5-10
    >> minutes if that.
    >>
    >>> So given that, if an advertisement uses the word 'movie' then it would
    >>> be misleading if they are talking about a 1 minute short movie.

    >> I can't believe how many cock sucking fuckwits like you post in here.
    >>

    > Yeah not sure what you are on but you need to change those meds, they
    > aren't working very well. Not quite sure why you are so obsessed over
    > "cock sucking" but I bet you wouldn't be so brave in real life and
    > probably not many people on this group are that interested in hearing
    > you keep talking about it, keep your fantasies to yourself please.

    What exactly are you a puddle of anyway, urine?

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  13. In article <491b6f92$>, Puddle <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >>> would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >>> length?

    >> An assumption is not reality ... and is usually far from it. :)

    >The reality is that people will assume when they hear the word movie
    >that you are talking about a full length movie.

    That's *an* assumption - certainly not one I would make but yes, some would.
    They might even be right. :)

    > A feature length movie
    >is by far the most common that people watch. Just look at a TV guide,
    >probably over 95% of the movies are around 90 minutes.
    >So given that, if an advertisement uses the word 'movie' then it would
    >be misleading if they are talking about a 1 minute short movie.

    It could be.

    >"Truthful Presentation - Advertisements should not contain any statement
    >or visual presentation or create an overall impression which directly or
    >by implication, omission, ambiguity or exaggerated claim is misleading
    >or deceptive, is likely to deceive or mislead the consumer, makes false
    >and misleading representation, abuses the trust of the consumer or
    >exploits his/her lack of experience or knowledge. (Obvious hyperbole,
    >identifiable as such, is not considered to be misleading)."

    Exactly. If it's obvious you are lying, then it's OK. Putting my bag down
    now :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2008
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:55:49 +1300, Collector€NZ <> wrote:

    >Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> The reality is that people will assume when they hear the word movie
    >>> that you are talking about a full length movie.

    >> Proove it.
    >>
    >>> A feature length movie is by far the most common that people watch.

    >> Proove it. I'd argue the downloaded 5-10 minute porno movie is most common.
    >>
    >>> Just look at a TV guide, probably over 95% of the movies are around 90 minutes.

    >> Just look at the Internet, probably over 95% of the movies are around 5-10
    >> minutes if that.
    >>
    >>> So given that, if an advertisement uses the word 'movie' then it would
    >>> be misleading if they are talking about a 1 minute short movie.

    >> I can't believe how many cock sucking fuckwits like you post in here.
    >>
    >> -ws

    >Sounds like you need Prozac as well as Ritalin

    And a bullet

    Cima, Nov 13, 2008
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:03:20 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> The reality is that people will assume when they hear the word movie
    >>> that you are talking about a full length movie.

    >> Proove it.
    >>
    >>> A feature length movie is by far the most common that people watch.

    >> Proove it. I'd argue the downloaded 5-10 minute porno movie is most common.

    > Yeah you are probably right, I am sure they are downloaded more often.
    > I just don't believe the average person watching the telcom advert when
    > they hear they can download movies is thinking about youtube clips or
    > some short porn movie.
    >

    >>> Just look at a TV guide, probably over 95% of the movies are around 90 minutes.

    >> Just look at the Internet, probably over 95% of the movies are around 5-10
    >> minutes if that.
    >>
    >>> So given that, if an advertisement uses the word 'movie' then it would
    >>> be misleading if they are talking about a 1 minute short movie.

    >> I can't believe how many cock sucking fuckwits like you post in here.
    >>

    > Yeah not sure what you are on but you need to change those meds,
    > they aren't working very well.

    Says the lackwit complaining about a legitmate advert.

    > Not quite sure why you are so obsessed over "cock sucking"

    You're confused, that's your area.

    > but I bet you wouldn't be so brave in real life

    This is the real world, don't include me in your fantasy world, moron.

    > and probably not many people on this group are that interested in hearing
    > you keep talking about it, keep your fantasies to yourself please.

    Lol, what the **** are you talking about you crack smoking retard.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:53:10 +1300, Collector¤NZ wrote:

    > vitw wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:26:58 -0800, starlyte wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most movies/clips/films/videos that people watch on the internet are
    >>> generally short, Like youtube and all the many variations of that

    >> If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >> would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >> length?
    >>

    > That is the "Reasonable persons understanding" test as per my reply to him

    A reasonable person understands that there is no required minimum length to
    a movie before it can be called a movie unless you assume that everyone is
    as moronoic as yourself, ey?

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:52:27 +1300, Collector¤NZ wrote:

    > starlyte wrote:
    >>> Plenty of free feature length videos are available for download. For
    >>> example, the video Earthlings, a documentary about animal farming
    >>> practices and the meat industry:http://dl.veg-tv.info/Earthlings.avi

    >>> Short videos are not 'movies' - the word 'movie' can be reasonably held
    >>> to imply 'feature-length', ie around 75-150 minutes.

    >> You can't say that a 1 minute film is not a movie, You are treating
    >> the advert in a literal sense - ie exact measurements, Why not treat
    >> the definition of the word movie literally?
    >>
    >> Movie
    >> A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient
    >> rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
    >>
    >> Shortening and alteration of moving picture.
    >>

    >> No specific length is set
    >>
    >> Most movies/clips/films/videos that people watch on the internet are
    >> generally short, Like youtube and all the many variations of that
    >>
    >> Granted things are changing and larger movies are readily available
    >> also, But im talking in general terms
    >>
    >> It seems to me that people are complaining because they have a bone to
    >> pick with telecom rather then misleading advertising

    > Forget the symantics of dictionary definitions the test is "What a
    > reasonable person would understand from the statement/representation"
    > and in that test it clearly fails.

    Bullshit. Dictionary definitions are what "reasonable" people use you
    complete lackwit.

    Kindly show us the definition, rule, law that states that there is a
    minimum length before something can be called a movie, otherwise **** off.

    -ws

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:30:46 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> I think most people refer to those as clips, video clips , videos or
    >>> shorts, even youtube themselves call them videos.

    >> No, everyone I know calls them movies.

    > I'm guessing that is a lot of people given your great personality :)
    >
    > Anyway just a difference of opinion, the advertising authorities will
    > make some decision I am sure.

    Let's see. Invent your own definition for the word "movie" and then use it
    as a basis for complaining against an advert that uses it. Yea, that will
    work, lol.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:05:03 +1300, Bret wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:03:26 +1300, Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> No, everyone I know calls them movies.

    > Judging by your behaviour here, all your "friends" are arseholes.

    They're not.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008
  20. Bruce Sinclair

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:54:00 +1300, Collector¤NZ wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:

    >>> If someone said to you "I watched this amazing movie the other night",
    >>> would you or would you not casually assume that such a movie is feature-
    >>> length?

    >> In your case it would have been a gay porno flick, ay? You cock sucking
    >> faggot.
    >>
    >> -ws

    > Oh dear the ritalin junkies are on a break from school I see

    They're probably downloading 5 minute "movies" using Telecom Total Home
    package I expect.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Nov 13, 2008