Re: Xtra Big Time - something wrong

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Nov 1, 2009.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:06:48 +1300, "geoff" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >I've been getting sustained 6Mb/s speeds over the last few days. And I'm
    >over 4KM from my exchange.
    >
    >I'm sure something is wrong and it's only a matter of time until they 'fix'
    >it....

    I started experiencing a major slowdown on my soon to be axed
    "GoLarge) week before last. I think it was Telecom's way of showing me
    what I could expect if I took the option of switching to "Big Time."

    So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
    month for $49.95 with no throttling.

    A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
    probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

    Come on, National! Where's that "competition" we heard so much about
    before the election?
    Donchano, Nov 1, 2009

  2. Donchano

    bugalugs Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:06:48 +1300, "geoff" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> I've been getting sustained 6Mb/s speeds over the last few days. And I'm
    >> over 4KM from my exchange.
    >>
    >> I'm sure something is wrong and it's only a matter of time until they 'fix'
    >> it....

    > I started experiencing a major slowdown on my soon to be axed
    > "GoLarge) week before last. I think it was Telecom's way of showing me
    > what I could expect if I took the option of switching to "Big Time."
    >
    > So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
    > month for $49.95 with no throttling.
    >
    > A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
    > probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

    I had the same "problem". A couple of days after signing up for the
    Explorer package my speed went up from about 2.5 to consistently over
    12Mb/s. That was about 6/8 months ago, and I'm 7/8k from Central and not
    scheduled to get cabinetisation until 2011.

    bugalugs, Nov 1, 2009

  3. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:13:52 +1300, Donchano wrote:

    > So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
    > month for $49.95 with no throttling.
    >
    > A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
    > probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

    Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50 per meg and if you "upgrade"
    you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg - nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?

    This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the people who use less, or the people
    who use less are subsidizing those who use more.

    Carnations, Nov 1, 2009
  4. Donchano

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50 per meg and if you "upgrade"
    > you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg - nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
    >
    > This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the people who use less, or the people
    > who use less are subsidizing those who use more.

    Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's costs.
    Richard, Nov 1, 2009
  5. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Carnations wrote:
    >

    >> Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50
    >> per meg and if you "upgrade" you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg -
    >> nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
    >>
    >> This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the
    >> people who use less, or the people who use less are subsidizing those
    >> who use more.

    > Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's costs.

    exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.
    EMB, Nov 1, 2009
  6. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:47:26 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> Carnations wrote:
    >>

    >>> Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50
    >>> per meg and if you "upgrade" you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg -
    >>> nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
    >>>
    >>> This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the
    >>> people who use less, or the people who use less are subsidizing those
    >>> who use more.

    >> Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's
    >> costs.

    > exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

    Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

    If _fixed_ costs are $40 with data costs a mere $1/gb, then why do all Telecom/Xtra's DSL broadband
    offerings have such variety in their "fixed" costs?

    Carnations, Nov 1, 2009
  7. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:47:26 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's
    >>> costs.

    >> exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

    > Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

    No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

    > If _fixed_ costs are $40 with data costs a mere $1/gb, then why do all Telecom/Xtra's DSL broadband
    > offerings have such variety in their "fixed" costs?

    Apart from "Big Time" they all fit the model rather well. Do try
    researching before opening your mouth and making a fool of yourself.
    EMB, Nov 1, 2009
  8. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:17:47 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >>> exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

    >> Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

    > No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

    Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost structure of a service offered by
    Telecom/Xtra?

    Carnations, Nov 2, 2009
  9. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    >>> Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

    >> No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

    > Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost structure of a service offered by
    > Telecom/Xtra?

    Logic really isn't your strong point is it?
    EMB, Nov 2, 2009
  10. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:28:24 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:

    >>> No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

    >> Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost
    >> structure of a service offered by Telecom/Xtra?

    > Logic really isn't your strong point is it?

    Why have you started ad-hominems instead of objectively discussing this Telecom/Xtra service?

    Carnations, Nov 2, 2009
  11. Carnations <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:28:24 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:

    >>> Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost
    >>> structure of a service offered by Telecom/Xtra?

    >> Logic really isn't your strong point is it?

    > Why have you started ad-hominems instead of objectively discussing this Telecom/Xtra service?

    David, the man has declined to discuss it, and given his reasons - yet you
    continue to badger him about it.

    Little wonder that he gets tetchy with you.

    Why can you not accept, and respect, his decision?

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 2, 2009
  12. Donchano

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:28:24 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:

    >>> Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost
    >>> structure of a service offered by Telecom/Xtra?

    >> Logic really isn't your strong point is it?

    > Why have you started ad-hominems instead of objectively discussing this Telecom/Xtra service?

    Because I'm not going to discuss it. If my client doesn't want me
    discussing an ISP, the logical inference is that they my client either
    is, or is closely related to that ISP.
    EMB, Nov 2, 2009
  13. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:52:10 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >> Why have you started ad-hominems instead of objectively discussing this
    >> Telecom/Xtra service?

    > Because I'm not going to discuss it. If my client doesn't want me
    > discussing an ISP, the logical inference is that they my client either
    > is, or is closely related to that ISP.

    Your choice to not discuss Telecom/Xtra's service has nothing to do with any of your client(s). Your
    choice to resort to ad-hominem attacks likewise has nothing to do with your choice to not discuss
    Telecom/Xtra's service.

    If you do not wish to discuss something you merely have to state that you do not wish to discuss it - you
    do not need to resort to ad-hominem attacks.

    And, now that you have stated - for the record - that you do not wish to discuss this service offered by
    Telecom/Xtra that point is at an end. However, your ad-hominem attack is noted.

    Carnations, Nov 2, 2009
  14. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 01:12:09 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > EMB cannot
    > discuss these deals that he is involved

    Nobody was asking him to.

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009
  15. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:52:31 +1300, Collector_NZ
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Carnations wrote:
    >> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 01:12:09 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> EMB cannot
    >>> discuss these deals that he is involved

    >> Nobody was asking him to.
    >>

    >Off course not HWH II, you never challanged him to answer did you.

    Heavens no ...
    Donchano, Nov 7, 2009
  16. Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:52:31 +1300, Collector_NZ
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Carnations wrote:

    >>> Nobody was asking him to.
    >>>

    >>Off course not HWH II, you never challanged him to answer did you.

    > Heavens no ...

    The twittering of the TUIs seems awfully loud this evening..........

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 7, 2009
  17. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:52:31 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 01:12:09 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> EMB cannot
    >>> discuss these deals that he is involved

    >> Nobody was asking him to.
    >>

    > Off course not HWH II, you never challanged him to answer did you.

    Indeed I did challenge him to answer. But I never asked him to talk about anything he was doing for any
    client.

    The discussion is (or was) about Telecom/Xtra's pricing of its insanely expensive domestic broadband
    pricing options.

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009
  18. Collector_NZ <> wrote:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> Donchano <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:52:31 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >>> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Heavens no ...

    >> The twittering of the TUIs seems awfully loud this evening..........
    >>

    > Allow me my fun, I havnt beaten up an end user all week despite being
    > away on a saw mill site and upgrading it without any advance info, so I
    > have to hit on someone. Got to get the weekly amount of rubbish dealings :)

    Allow you your fun? Of course, old chasp - I wouldn't *DREAM* of
    interfering! Fill yer boots!

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 7, 2009
  19. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 07:28:33 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:52:31 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:

    >>> Nobody was asking him to.
    >>>

    >> Off course not HWH II, you never challanged him to answer did you.

    >Indeed I did challenge him to answer. But I never asked him to talk about anything he was doing for any
    >client.
    >
    >The discussion is (or was) about Telecom/Xtra's pricing of its insanely expensive domestic broadband
    >pricing options.

    And here I was thinking it was about who would have the last word ...
    Donchano, Nov 7, 2009
  20. Donchano

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 21:49:22 +1300, Donchano wrote:

    >>The discussion is (or was) about Telecom/Xtra's pricing of its insanely
    >>expensive domestic broadband pricing options.

    > And here I was thinking it was about who would have the last word ...

    I didn't realise that you play those sorts of inane games?

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009