Re: Xs Drive II at 4000 meters ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > > I was wondering if it will be safe to use an Xs Drive II at 4000 meters
    > > (planning to climb a mountain and use the Xs Drive to store the photos).
    > > The HDD will be an IBM Travelstar 20GN (20 GB, DJSA 220). I checked the
    > > IBM site (now Hitachi) for specifications, but couldn't find anything
    > > about the max. operating height:
    > >
    > > http://ssddom01.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/85256AB8006A31E587256
    > > A7800583F24/$file/djsa_ds.pdf
    > >
    > > I heard something some time ago that the heads will hover over the disks
    > > and if there isn't enough air pressure, as is the case at high
    > > altitudes, the heads might hit the disks. But I don't know what the
    > > altitude limit is.
    > > --
    > >

    > I looked at getting the XS-drive myself quite recently...
    >
    > Altitude and climate problems aside, I decided that it was more a case of
    > 'all-eggs-in-one-basket' and, after reveiwing the falling price of CF cards,
    > I decided against it and invested in more CF cards instead..
    >
    > I found that I could get 512Mb CF cards for around 70UKP each and, tho 20Gb
    > was a good size, 4 or 5GB was more practical for my purposes and split
    > accross 8 or 10 CF cards reduced the risks of data loss (both because CF are
    > solid state and distributing the data too).
    >
    > Consider a worst case scenario - Your XS-Drive gets
    > lost/stolen/dropped/drowned etc - (CF may well survive the latter 2 and it
    > is easier to slip CF cards in your pocket/socks/belt etc)
    >
    > 20Gb or more is nice - but do you really need that much portable storage?

    Well, I'll be travelling with a notebook *and* the Xs Drive, so the all-
    eggs-in-one-basket scenario wouldn't happen. But I'm a heavy shooter
    (200 photos/day happen frequently) and was thinking of shooting entirely
    RAW on my trip to Malaysia. That's over 7MB/image which is why I bought
    the Xs Drive (only a 100 Euro expense, as I already had the HDD). In
    addition, I might do some treks and won't have access to the notebook
    for a couple of days.
    In any case, my question remains - what is the max. altitude at which
    you can operate the Xs Drive ?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 27, 2003