Re: XP wont boot.......

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hp, Nov 22, 2010.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    On 11/22/2010 1:29 PM, Valorie *~ wrote:

    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > "Valorie *~" <> wrote in message
    >> > When I put my XP PC away a year ago it booted and ran fine. It was
    >> > stored
    >> > in the house, not an outbuilding. I took it out and tried to use it and
    >> > it
    >> > wouldn't boot. It wouldn't boot to the CDs that came with it from HP
    >> > either. I took it to Staples and the tech there said he THINKS it's the
    >> > motherboard. The fans spin. The mouse lights up but the keyboard and
    >> > monitor stay dark. Anyone have any ideas what can cause this? Dead
    >> > battery? Bad video card?

    >> Go into the BIOS setup,
    >>
    >> Since the PC wont boot, how can I get to the BIOS setup?

    > Most computers have the BIOS setup integrated into the motherboard
    > and a boot device isn't necessary. Look on the motherboard for pins
    >> marked "CMOS RESET" if the computer won't respond to the keyboard.

    > I can't find any pins marked "CMOS RESET" on the motherboard. I don't
    > see anything that look like pins, either on the schematic or on the
    > mother boarditself. This is the motherboard.
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00022505&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us#c00022505_doc
    >

    > We checked the battery and it's not dead. It's 2.9v and it's a 3v
    > battery. The battery is not the problem.

    That type of battery will read almost full voltage out of any battery
    holder unless it is 100% dead, other wise you need to test it under load
    or you will get a false reading
    Hp, Nov 22, 2010

  2. Hp

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:52:01 -0600, Steel wrote:

    > On 11/23/2010 3:48 PM, The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> Valorie *~ mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> "Hp"<> wrote in message

    >>> How is a battery tested under load?

    >> Don't bother trying to test it, simply replace it. They're cheap.
    >>

    > How would you know anything? You can even change the battery in your
    > pace maker.

    Disability fantasy reply noted an laughed ar :)

    Meat Plow, Nov 23, 2010

  3. Hp

    Hp Guest

    "Hp" <> wrote in message news:icehls$171$...

    > That type of battery will read almost full voltage out of any battery
    > holder unless it is 100% dead, other wise you need to test it under load
    > or you will get a false reading

    How is a battery tested under load?

    I have a few LED lamps with long leads on them, I can test with those OR
    a battery test meter with a 160ma load test for the good/bad test part
    of the meter.

    Trying to light the LEDs with cell batts is easy, if it doent light by
    touching the lamp leads to the batt sides, (top and bottom are 2 sides
    of a batt) I simply then turn the batt over and try again touching the
    leads to the cell, if still no light then toss the batt.
    Hp, Nov 24, 2010