Re: XP startup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron Martell, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    "TPW" <> wrote:

    >My computer starts, gets past the bios, gets to the xp pro splashscreen for
    >about a second, then reboots.
    >Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this.
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Tom.....

    Try starting the computer in Safe Mode. Turn it on and start tapping
    the F8 key rapidly when the first information of any kind shows on the
    screen. Continue until the Windows XP Startup Menu appears and choose
    Safe Mode from the Startup Menu.

    If it starts okay in Safe Mode then use Control Panel - System -
    Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
    (bottom) section of the window.

    In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    Automatically restart in the System Failure (middle) section to clear
    it. Also click on the drop-down menu arrow in the Write debugging
    infromation (bottom) section and choose either "none" or "small memory
    dump". Shut down and restart normally.

    Your computer may now start up properly or it may halt with a Blue
    Screen Of Death STOP error message. If you get a STOP message then
    copy the information from that message and post it back here. It will
    tell us what is causing the error.

    And if your computer will not boot okay into Safe Mode then your only
    option is to do a Repair Install of Windows XP as per the instructions
    at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm provide you have
    a full install CD for your Windows XP. If all you have is a System
    Recovery CD then your options are probably limited to using it to put
    your computer back to the "as it left the factory" state, wiping out
    all of your installed programs, user data files, etc. If you have
    important data on the machine you probably don't want to do this, at
    least not right away. Post a response back here if this is your
    situation and we will try some other rather long-shot ideas.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP