Re: XP startup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sentient Fluid, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. "TPW" <> wrote in message
    > My computer starts, gets past the bios, gets to the xp pro splashscreen

    for
    > about a second, then reboots.
    > Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Tom.....

    Once your computer gets to the POST info, start pressing F8. It will take
    you to a boot menu. Choose to boot to Safe Mode. If you make it in there
    then it could be something XP is trying to load.

    In Safe Mode, right-click on My Computer, choose Properties. Click on the
    Hardware tab at the top, then click on Device Manager. Click on each of the
    + signs on the left and see if there is anything that has a yellow "caution"
    icon or a red "X" next to it. If so.. that device may be what is causing XP
    to hang. Try uninstalling and reinstalling or, if it is something you were
    messing with prior to the problem, you could try rolling back the driver...

    You could also try running a Repair from the XP disc... I actually had to do
    that just this morning :-(

    Barring that, all I can think of is a virus/worm/etc...

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 20, 2003