    it, there are alternatives out there. The only thing I would like is MTP
    drivers for my creative zen, which I can't have without WGA. But I have the
    wifes laptop which runs it ok, so I can do without it on this one.
    Tony in Oz, Jul 17, 2008

  2. In article <08Qfk.20466$>, Tony in Oz
    did write:

    > And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I won't
    > be downloading it.

    Go on, bend over and take it. You know you want to. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2008

  3. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    > "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> What has happened to Windows XP SP3 ?
    >>

    > And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I
    > won't be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my
    > machine and I don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces
    > that I can't get without it, there are alternatives out there. The
    > only thing I would like is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I
    > can't have without WGA. But I have the wifes laptop which runs it ok,
    > so I can do without it on this one.

    I downloaded the SP3 install ISO as I have a few machines here and, as far
    as I can tell, it doesn't install WGA if the machine doesn't already have it
    installed.

    I installed it on this machine (after making an Acronis TI image of the OS
    partition) and found my torrents were choking badly so I reverted to the
    pre-SP3 image after a couple days. It was only later that I realised that
    installing SP3 possibly/probably re-set the XP-enforced limit on half-open
    connections back to 10 (?) and that could have been the reason for the poor
    bittorrent performance.

    I have it set to 50 as it significantly improves bittorrent through-put. I'm
    still running SP2, Imight try SP3 another day when I have time to dabble.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2008
  4. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> What has happened to Windows XP SP3 ?
    >>>

    >> And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I
    >> won't be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my
    >> machine and I don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces
    >> that I can't get without it, there are alternatives out there. The
    >> only thing I would like is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I
    >> can't have without WGA. But I have the wifes laptop which runs it ok,
    >> so I can do without it on this one.

    > I downloaded the SP3 install ISO as I have a few machines here and, as far
    > as I can tell, it doesn't install WGA if the machine doesn't already have
    > it installed.
    >
    > I installed it on this machine (after making an Acronis TI image of the OS
    > partition) and found my torrents were choking badly so I reverted to the
    > pre-SP3 image after a couple days. It was only later that I realised that
    > installing SP3 possibly/probably re-set the XP-enforced limit on half-open
    > connections back to 10 (?) and that could have been the reason for the
    > poor bittorrent performance.
    >
    > I have it set to 50 as it significantly improves bittorrent through-put.
    > I'm still running SP2, Imight try SP3 another day when I have time to
    > dabble.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Shaun...

    Did you have WGA on your machine before installing SP3, and did you
    have WGA on your machine after installing SP3?
    I don't have it on mine, I keep an eye on my automatic updates, when I
    saw WGA come through, I politely declined and told it not to bother me with
    it again. So far I have done the same with SP3. If I find out it definitely
    does not contain WGA or any other items that MS wants me to have that I
    don't want, then I can download it. While I do have the means to remove it,
    its not that simple and doesn't always work, so I'd much rather not to have
    to bother. Cheers.
    Tony in Oz, Jul 18, 2008
  5. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >>> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>> And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I
    >>> won't be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my
    >>> machine and I don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and
    >>> pieces that I can't get without it, there are alternatives out
    >>> there. The only thing I would like is MTP drivers for my creative
    >>> zen, which I can't have without WGA. But I have the wifes laptop
    >>> which runs it ok, so I can do without it on this one.

    >> I downloaded the SP3 install ISO as I have a few machines here and,
    >> as far as I can tell, it doesn't install WGA if the machine doesn't
    >> already have it installed.
    >>
    >> I installed it on this machine (after making an Acronis TI image of
    >> the OS partition) and found my torrents were choking badly so I
    >> reverted to the pre-SP3 image after a couple days. It was only later
    >> that I realised that installing SP3 possibly/probably re-set the
    >> XP-enforced limit on half-open connections back to 10 (?) and that
    >> could have been the reason for the poor bittorrent performance.
    >>
    >> I have it set to 50 as it significantly improves bittorrent
    >> through-put. I'm still running SP2, Imight try SP3 another day when
    >> I have time to dabble.
    >> --

    > Shaun...
    >
    > Did you have WGA on your machine before installing SP3, and did
    > you have WGA on your machine after installing SP3?

    No and no.

    > I don't have it on mine, I keep an eye on my automatic updates,
    > when I saw WGA come through, I politely declined and told it not to
    > bother me with it again. So far I have done the same with SP3. If I
    > find out it definitely does not contain WGA or any other items that
    > MS wants me to have that I don't want, then I can download it. While
    > I do have the means to remove it, its not that simple and doesn't
    > always work, so I'd much rather not to have to bother. Cheers.

    Understood. I think you should be fine going by my experience. I have SP3
    and no WGA on a couple machines. However, I stress that I downloaded the ISO
    and burnt it to CD and installed SP3 that way, I can't speak for simply
    ticking it in Windows Updates. It may or may not be the same.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2008
  6. Tony in Oz

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >>> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>> And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I
    >>> won't be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my
    >>> machine and I don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces
    >>> that I can't get without it, there are alternatives out there. The
    >>> only thing I would like is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I
    >>> can't have without WGA. But I have the wifes laptop which runs it ok,
    >>> so I can do without it on this one.

    >> I downloaded the SP3 install ISO as I have a few machines here and, as
    >> far as I can tell, it doesn't install WGA if the machine doesn't already
    >> have it installed.
    >>
    >> I installed it on this machine (after making an Acronis TI image of the
    >> OS partition) and found my torrents were choking badly so I reverted to
    >> the pre-SP3 image after a couple days. It was only later that I realised
    >> that installing SP3 possibly/probably re-set the XP-enforced limit on
    >> half-open connections back to 10 (?) and that could have been the reason
    >> for the poor bittorrent performance.
    >>
    >> I have it set to 50 as it significantly improves bittorrent through-put.
    >> I'm still running SP2, Imight try SP3 another day when I have time to
    >> dabble.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    >> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    >> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    >> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    >>

    > Shaun...
    >
    > Did you have WGA on your machine before installing SP3, and did you
    > have WGA on your machine after installing SP3?
    > I don't have it on mine, I keep an eye on my automatic updates, when I
    > saw WGA come through, I politely declined and told it not to bother me
    > with it again. So far I have done the same with SP3. If I find out it
    > definitely does not contain WGA or any other items that MS wants me to
    > have that I don't want, then I can download it. While I do have the means
    > to remove it, its not that simple and doesn't always work, so I'd much
    > rather not to have to bother. Cheers.

    There is a tool called WGAKiller that might be of use? I've not tried it.
    Craig Sutton, Jul 18, 2008
  7. Tony in Oz

    impossible Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> What has happened to Windows XP SP3 ?
    >>

    > And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I won't
    > be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my machine and I
    > don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces that I can't get
    > without it, there are alternatives out there. The only thing I would like
    > is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I can't have without WGA. But I
    > have the wifes laptop which runs it ok, so I can do without it on this
    > one.

    Assuming you have a legitimate copy of Windows XP, I don't understand your
    objection to WGA checking your license. Calling this "spyware" is just plain
    silly.
    impossible, Jul 18, 2008
  8. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> What has happened to Windows XP SP3 ?
    >>>

    >> And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I won't
    >> be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my machine and I
    >> don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces that I can't get
    >> without it, there are alternatives out there. The only thing I would like
    >> is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I can't have without WGA. But I
    >> have the wifes laptop which runs it ok, so I can do without it on this
    >> one.
    >>

    > Assuming you have a legitimate copy of Windows XP, I don't understand your
    > objection to WGA checking your license. Calling this "spyware" is just
    > plain silly.

    I also refuse to let those staff at the likes of Kmart and others check
    the contents of my bag, regardless of their stupid signs. If they want to
    check my bag, they can call the police who can do whatever they are allowed
    to do. Doesn't mean I'm a shoplifter, just means I don't want some fuckwit
    going through my stuff.
    Tony in Oz, Jul 18, 2008
  9. Tony in Oz

    impossible Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>> And does XP SP3 include windows genuine advantage? If it does I won't
    >>> be downloading it. I don't have this piece of spyware on my machine and
    >>> I don't want it. I'm happy to forsake the bits and pieces that I can't
    >>> get without it, there are alternatives out there. The only thing I would
    >>> like is MTP drivers for my creative zen, which I can't have without WGA.
    >>> But I have the wifes laptop which runs it ok, so I can do without it on
    >>> this one.
    >>>

    >> Assuming you have a legitimate copy of Windows XP, I don't understand
    >> your objection to WGA checking your license. Calling this "spyware" is
    >> just plain silly.

    > I also refuse to let those staff at the likes of Kmart and others check
    > the contents of my bag, regardless of their stupid signs. If they want to
    > check my bag, they can call the police who can do whatever they are
    > allowed to do. Doesn't mean I'm a shoplifter, just means I don't want some
    > fuckwit going through my stuff.

    XP is not "your stuff". Either you have a license to run it or you don't,
    and that's all that WGA verifies.
    impossible, Jul 18, 2008
  10. Tony in Oz

    Tony Guest

    > I also refuse to let those staff at the likes of Kmart and others check
    > the contents of my bag, regardless of their stupid signs. If they want to
    > check my bag, they can call the police who can do whatever they are allowed
    > to do. Doesn't mean I'm a shoplifter, just means I don't want some fuckwit
    > going through my stuff.

    Wow, you really go out of your way to be difficult for no good purpose.
    Tony, Jul 18, 2008
  11. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> I also refuse to let those staff at the likes of Kmart and others
    >> check the contents of my bag, regardless of their stupid signs. If they
    >> want to check my bag, they can call the police who can do whatever they
    >> are allowed to do. Doesn't mean I'm a shoplifter, just means I don't want
    >> some fuckwit going through my stuff.

    > Wow, you really go out of your way to be difficult for no good purpose.

    No good purpose? Those clowns have got no right whatsoever to search my
    bags, regardless of what signs they put up IIRC. Even the cops have to get a
    search warrant unless they have reason to suspect you have drugs or firearms
    about your person. Perhaps peterwn could clarify this but AFAIK this is how
    it works. Seems to me these Kmart et al crowd are taking liberties they have
    no right to take, and if you let them do it, you are contributing to society
    being dictated to by these people.
    Tony in Oz, Jul 18, 2008
  12. Tony in Oz

    impossible Guest

    > Where can XP SP3 be gotten?

    http://tinyurl.com/6k9zo3

    Or, use Automatic Update.
    impossible, Jul 18, 2008
  13. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > The shop is private property, by entering their private property and
    > observing their "bags may be searched" sign it might be argued that you
    > have entered into a contract with the property owners.

    And their sole resolution to you not holding up your end of the contract
    is what?

    Nothing. They can ask you to leave since its private property. They have
    lost nothing by your refusal to allow them to search, so they cant even
    take you to court for refusing it.
    Richard, Jul 19, 2008
  14. In article <>, Keith did write:

    > The shop is private property, by entering their private property and
    > observing their "bags may be searched" sign it might be argued that you
    > have entered into a contract with the property owners.

    Absolutely bloody not. Your person is private property, too.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  15. In article <g5rrhb$j6i$>, Richard did write:

    > They can ask you to leave since its private property. They have
    > lost nothing by your refusal to allow them to search, so they cant even
    > take you to court for refusing it.

    If they suspect you of committing a crime, they can call the police. Simple
    as that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  16. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > Yes all these VLK copies being run, if you have a Valid copy of Windows
    > there is no problem with WGA, WGA it to check that you do have a legit
    > copy, its that simple.

    Of course, you'll never have any problem, if you have done nothing wrong you
    have nothing to fear
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080718-microsofts-wga-and-oga-servers-are-down-again.html>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  17. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <g5rrhb$j6i$>, Richard did write:
    >
    >> They can ask you to leave since its private property. They have
    >> lost nothing by your refusal to allow them to search, so they cant even
    >> take you to court for refusing it.

    > If they suspect you of committing a crime, they can call the police. Simple
    > as that.

    They can detain you as a citizens arrest if they are sure you have done
    something wrong, but usually they wont risk it since the punisment for
    getting it wrong is so severe, correctly too.

    Most of the time security guards just ask for your compliance with their
    requests, so a simple no thankyou is all it takes and keep on going with
    your life. People who mistakenly think they are in a position of
    authority just comply.
    Richard, Jul 19, 2008
  18. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    > write:
    >
    >> Yes all these VLK copies being run, if you have a Valid copy of Windows
    >> there is no problem with WGA, WGA it to check that you do have a legit
    >> copy, its that simple.

    > Of course, you'll never have any problem, if you have done nothing wrong you
    > have nothing to fear
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080718-microsofts-wga-and-oga-servers-are-down-again.html>.

    Volume licensing is a totally different matter. By entering an agreement
    for it, you are authorizing them to be able to audit you at any time
    prettymuch for compliance. That is why several people I know will not VL
    software and just stick with retail and oem. That way, at least in NZ
    you get to tell them to F off if they want to audit you.
    Richard, Jul 19, 2008
  19. In article <g5s04u$36v$>, Richard did write:

    > Volume licensing is a totally different matter. By entering an agreement
    > for it, you are authorizing them to be able to audit you at any time
    > prettymuch for compliance. That is why several people I know will not VL
    > software and just stick with retail and oem. That way, at least in NZ
    > you get to tell them to F off if they want to audit you.

    I'm sure Microsoft doesn't mind if your principled opposition to
    volume-licensing means you end up paying them more money.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  20. In article <g5s02b$36v$>, Richard did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >> If they suspect you of committing a crime, they can call the police.
    >> Simple as that.

    > They can detain you as a citizens arrest if they are sure you have done
    > something wrong ...

    Don't they have to be an actual witness to the crime?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008