Re: XP SP3 is great!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Will Spencer, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:14:33 +1200, I LOVE IT! wrote:

    > Just updated.
    >
    > Big improvements in speed for all software, internet and even
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > I am not disappointed.

    That's old technology mate.

    I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 20, 2008

  2. In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    You paid for Vista Ultimate??

    You poor kid...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Will Spencer

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    > write:
    >
    >> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    > You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >
    > You poor kid...

    Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
    needs as far as an OS goes.

    As a caveat, I do know people who have had various driver problems, but I
    haven't encountered any, I guess because I'm using fairly standard, modern,
    powerful hardware.

    As a power user it meets my needs more completely and with less effort on my
    part than any other OS, and I've used plenty of other OSes in my time for
    one reason or another. You name it, if it's not too obscure (and even then
    I've used my share) then I've used it, and I have plenty of love for some of
    those OSes, and there are plenty of little things about various other OSes
    that I like better, they're overall they're just not as complete a package
    for me.

    The only real argument I can see against Vista* is that of it not being free
    (I mean as in libre, not as in gratis, though of course it is neither) and
    while it's a compelling one and I agree at least in theory with many of the
    arguments, for me that reason is quite a bit further down the list than
    "actually getting things done, and productively" when choosing an OS.

    * sans compatibility issues, which don't affect me -- besides which other
    OSes are *less* compatible with the software I use, and as for hardware I
    personally haven't had problems, see above
    Nik Coughlin, Jul 21, 2008
  4. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    > write:
    >
    >> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    > You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >
    > You poor kid...

    No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    Microsoft technical briefing early last year.

    I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    briefings over the last couple of years.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  5. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:20:06 +1200, Brian Mathews wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:53:41 +1200, Will Spencer <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:14:33 +1200, I LOVE IT! wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just updated.
    >>>
    >>> Big improvements in speed for all software, internet and even
    >>> newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> I am not disappointed.

    >>That's old technology mate.
    >>
    >>I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.
    >>
    >>-ws

    > What the Microsoft Lemon..

    It's great, sorry.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  6. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:48:52 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    >> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >>
    >> You poor kid...

    > Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
    > needs as far as an OS goes.

    I've had less problems with Vista Ultimate 64 bit than any other OS.
    In short, it's awesome.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  7. Will Spencer

    Richard Guest

    Will Spencer wrote:

    >> Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
    >> needs as far as an OS goes.

    > I've had less problems with Vista Ultimate 64 bit than any other OS.
    > In short, it's awesome.

    Seconded
    Richard, Jul 21, 2008
  8. Will Spencer

    Richard Guest

    Will Spencer wrote:

    > No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    > Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >
    > I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    > Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    > briefings over the last couple of years.

    How do you get invited to those?
    Richard, Jul 21, 2008
  9. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:55:58 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Will Spencer wrote:
    >
    >> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    >> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >>
    >> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    >> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    >> briefings over the last couple of years.

    > How do you get invited to those?

    It's not on an invite basis, anyone can go. I just keep an eye out for
    events on the Microsoft website.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  10. In article <g60te6$stg$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    >> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >>
    >> You poor kid...

    > Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of
    > their needs as far as an OS goes.

    This is _Ultimate_ we're talking about. You know, the overpriced,
    underfeatured, overpromised, underdelivered super-duper version?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2008
  11. In article <fuej7m56b46c$.c4788e2j7j56$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > I've had less problems with Vista Ultimate 64 bit than any other OS.

    Is that saying much?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2008
  12. Will Spencer

    impossible Guest

    "Will Spencer" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    >> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >>
    >> You poor kid...

    > No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    > Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >
    > I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    > Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    > briefings over the last couple of years.

    What's your experience running non-Microsoft applications on 64-bit Vista?
    impossible, Jul 21, 2008
  13. In article <>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

    >> You paid for Vista Ultimate??

    > No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    > Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >
    > I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    > Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    > briefings over the last couple of years.

    So, by your own admission, you are effectively being paid off for saying
    nice things about Microsoft and Vista.

    Is there anybody here who can stand up and say "I paid good money for Vista,
    and I don't regret it one bit"?

    .... (crickets) ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2008
  14. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:33:24 GMT, impossible wrote:

    > "Will Spencer" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >>> write:

    >>> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
    >>>
    >>> You poor kid...

    >> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    >> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >>
    >> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    >> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    >> briefings over the last couple of years.
    >>

    > What's your experience running non-Microsoft applications on 64-bit Vista?

    My experience is that they work.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  15. Will Spencer

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:17:13 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, Will Spencer did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <kzddhecqn96h$>, Will Spencer did
    >>> write:

    >>> You paid for Vista Ultimate??

    >> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    >> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >>
    >> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    >> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    >> briefings over the last couple of years.

    > So, by your own admission, you are effectively being paid off for saying
    > nice things about Microsoft and Vista.

    Nope.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Jul 21, 2008
  16. Will Spencer

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:33:24 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Will Spencer" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    >>> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >>>
    >>> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    >>> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft
    >>> technical
    >>> briefings over the last couple of years.
    >>>

    >> What's your experience running non-Microsoft applications on 64-bit
    >> Vista?

    > My experience is that they work.

    Sounds like a lousy experience to me.
    impossible, Jul 21, 2008
  17. In article <4iic4kc7bs2z.1stltij35xvs6$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:17:13 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Will Spencer did
    >> write:

    >>> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    >>> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
    >>>
    >>> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    >>> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft
    >>> technical briefings over the last couple of years.

    >> So, by your own admission, you are effectively being paid off for saying
    >> nice things about Microsoft and Vista.

    > Nope.

    So, is there anybody here who can stand up and say "I paid good money for

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2008
  18. In article <>, I LOVE IT! did
    write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> So, is there anybody here who can stand up and say "I paid good
    >> money for Vista, and I don't regret it one bit"?

    > Me... I use XP Pro. Thinking seriously about a new machine with
    > Vista.

    Come back when you've actually spent the money on Vista, and on the
    necessary hardware to run it, and let us know how wonderful it is then.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2008
  19. On Jul 20, 9:55 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Will Spencer wrote:
    > > No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
    > > Microsoft technical briefing early last year.

    > > I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
    > > Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
    > > briefings over the last couple of years.

    > How do you get invited to those?

    Best way is to subsribe to our NZ TechNet Flash newsletter, which
    comes out roughly fortnightly

    We publish all of our technical events for IT Professionals in this
    newsletter

    Subscribe here www.microsoft.com/nz/technet/subscribe.aspx

    Cheers
    Nathan