Re: XP purchase.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Gloria Goitre, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. "Quimbler" <> wrote in message

    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    > (in the UK)?

    Steal a laptop with XP on it.

    Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    thieving ****!

    --
    Glorious Goitre
    <titter>

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Gloria Goitre

    Tony Guest

    "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message
    > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >> (in the UK)?

    > Steal a laptop with XP on it.
    >
    > Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    > stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    > so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    > thieving ****!

    Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    the thieving c*nts are?

    If they ploughed more money back into the OS for R&D to reduce the bugs and
    security flaws then the cost of the software would be money well spent. But
    it is much better to try and have a monolopy market where consumers don't
    have a lot of choice so you can rip them off and make pots of money (their
    loss making ventures are just further attempts to monopolise markets where
    there is competition which they are trying to wipe out and control -
    subsidised by the extortion money they earn from windows and office!!)

    Apart from this one legally licenced window machine, I now run Linux on all
    my others which is now getting to a stage where MS windows won't be needed
    in the future.

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005

  3. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message
    >> "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >>> (in the UK)?

    >> Steal a laptop with XP on it.
    >>
    >> Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    >> stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    >> so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    >> thieving ****!
    >>

    > Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS

    And I'll stop you at your first logical error.

    You show me where what you thought relates to that which I conveyed, then
    you can reread the "You thieving ****!" and explain where you thought that
    was directed given no one, not even the OP, other than my post and other
    posters suggested theft. And finally you moronic cuntard you may now FROAD,
    "You thieving ****!".

    --
    Glorious Goitre

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Gloria Goitre

    chrisv Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    >pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    >make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    >the thieving c*nts are?

    Definately. Even the ancient Win2k is going for over $200 retail.
    Wehn you can build a PC for under $500, that's a chunk of change for
    the OS!

    chrisv, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Gloria Goitre

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    | "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message
    | > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    | >

    | >> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    | >> (in the UK)?
    | >

    | > Steal a laptop with XP on it.
    | >
    | > Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    | > stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    | > so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    | > thieving ****!
    | >
    | Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    | pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    | make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    | http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu -

    BUT! If they didn't charge enough for the OS currently being sold, how are
    they gonna pay their programmers? If someone doesn't buy their current
    products, there is no funding available for R&D.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 26, 2005
  6. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
    <>
    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:22:42 -0600
    <>:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >>If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    >>pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    >>make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >>http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    >>the thieving c*nts are?

    > Definately. Even the ancient Win2k is going for over $200 retail.
    > Wehn you can build a PC for under $500, that's a chunk of change for
    > the OS!

    Ah, but think of all of the extra benefits one gets when installing
    (or using a preinstalled) Windows! One gets:

    - a freeware C++ compiler that may or may not be standard.
    (No, it's not GCC. It's Microsoft's. And I think one has
    to download it anyway. Maybe I'll try that for Win98.)
    - an editor that is reasonably competent, but nothing spectacular.
    (Write/Wordpad)
    - an editor that in some versions can't even handle newlines correctly,
    and is extremely basic. (Notepad)
    - a text editor that must be run in a text console. (Edit)
    - a text editor that makes Edit look good, as it doesn't recognize mouse
    and can't even do fullscreen. (EDLIN)
    - COPY CON PRN. I think that still works.
    - weirdly named utilities such as ipconfig instead of ifconfig,
    and tracert instead of traceroute.
    - a registry. Woo!
    - a browser that has no tabs, doesn't implement CSS2 properly, and
    has problems with certain of the more subtle XSLT constructions
    such as <xsl:import>. But never mind that -- it's "standard"!
    - no spreadsheet, though it does have a calculator. There might be
    a freeware variant, or one can of course buy MS Excel.
    It even computes '3.11 - 3.10' correctly now.
    - the ability to connect to the Internet and get infected in < 20 minutes,
    unless XP SP2 has fixed that and is being distributed with all new
    machines now. I sure hope so, for the poor n00b's sake.
    - a card game (Solitaire.exe). Woo. Might beat pysol for install
    numbers, though.
    - a pinball game, if it's still around. (One of the more interesting
    NT offers -- I suppose the logic was to have the sysadmins play
    pinball while copying files or something; there's only so much
    "flying paper into folder" watching one can do.)
    - a clock. (Doesn't everything have a clock?)
    - a START menu. Great for shutting down the system.
    - a network-capable, consistent, easy-to-use GUI -- well, OK,
    maybe consistent, except when Word is running, but whose idea
    was it to use a *horizontal* scroller for the filerequester?
    And the network capability is a 3rd-party addon (VNC). To be
    fair, most everything in a Linux distro is a 3rd-party addon,
    but the distros generally package them for you. And yes, one
    can even run VNC in Gentoo -- though that's probably because
    most people have VNC anyway in WindowsWorld(tm).
    - the ability to automatically scan for updates and filenames.
    However, explicit user crontab capability is extra.
    - no multiple desktops for a single user without a 3rd-party addon.
    For NT there were several; I don't know if they still run for XP.
    - The wonder that is .NET. (It makes me wonder, anyway.)
    - no Java. You'll have to get that from Sun.
    - no Perl. You'll have to get that from CPAN.
    - no Tcl/Tk. You'll have to get that from somewhere.
    - no sh/csh/zsh/bash. Cygwin.
    - VBScript and JScript, which are the answer to Java, Perl, Tcl/Tk,
    and sh/csh/zsh/bash.
    - CMD.EXE, which is the new and improved version of COMMAND.COM,
    and still has the well-known "standards" such as %varname%,
    .BAT extension, and CALL.

    Hmm...come to think of it, how much is all this worth?
    Not much. But one gets to pay for it anyway -- unless
    one's smart enough to either select "No OS" or "FreeDOS" [*]
    for some of the vendors out there who are smart enough
    themselves to offer that option.

    It's a good thing I can build my own, though I've not done it
    in awhile. $300 for a full XP Home Edition license, though?
    Yipes. Or did it get reduced to $199? I hope so, but it's
    still too pricey.

    But never mind that; buy Windows today. Microsoft needs
    your money to donate to [insert noble cause here]... :)

    [*] Dell apparently doesn't offer Linux directly anymore.

    #191,
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

    The Ghost In The Machine, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Gloria Goitre

    Scrote Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug
    >>> ridden pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it
    >>> legally. They make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >>> http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu -

    >> BUT! If they didn't charge enough for the OS currently being sold,
    >> how are they gonna pay their programmers? If someone doesn't buy
    >> their current products, there is no funding available for R&D.

    They PAY their programmers? <looks askance>
    --
    In my sentences I go where no man has gone before...I am a boon to the
    English language. -- George W. Bush

    Scrote, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Gloria Goitre

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote:

    >Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    >pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally.

    Balderdash. Even $5 shareware utilities get pirated.

    > They
    >make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    >the thieving c*nts are?

    So write your own operating system and sell it for what you consider
    to be a reasonable price.

    You should be able to do it for something in the area of
    $US3,000,000,000 or so if you are lucky and can find 5,000 or so
    really good programmers and testers to work for you. And that 3
    billion is up front money - all spent before the first copy is sold.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Ron Martell, <>, wrote:

    > "Tony" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug
    >> ridden pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it
    >> legally.

    > Balderdash. Even $5 shareware utilities get pirated.
    >
    >> They
    >> make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >> http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell
    >> me who the thieving c*nts are?

    > So write your own operating system and sell it for what you consider
    > to be a reasonable price.
    >
    > You should be able to do it for something in the area of
    > $US3,000,000,000 or so if you are lucky and can find 5,000 or so
    > really good programmers and testers to work for you. And that 3
    > billion is up front money - all spent before the first copy is sold.

    Is that what it took to write DOS 1?

    --
    G Morgan admits that he gets told he's a
    fuckwit, not just on usenet, but in in real

    Cullenia Celatum Contrastriata, Jan 27, 2005
  10. On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:55:30 +1100, Cullenia Celatum Contrastriata
    <-infested-heavy-gigolo.com>
    wrote:

    >> You should be able to do it for something in the area of
    >> $US3,000,000,000 or so if you are lucky and can find 5,000 or so
    >> really good programmers and testers to work for you. And that 3
    >> billion is up front money - all spent before the first copy is sold.

    >Is that what it took to write DOS 1?

    Certainly not, but that's what it'll take to produce something that
    can seriously challenge Windoze in the consumer market.

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org

    Governor Swill, Jan 28, 2005
  11. Governor Swill, <>, wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:55:30 +1100, Cullenia Celatum Contrastriata
    > <-infested-heavy-gigolo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> You should be able to do it for something in the area of
    >>> $US3,000,000,000 or so if you are lucky and can find 5,000 or so
    >>> really good programmers and testers to work for you. And that 3
    >>> billion is up front money - all spent before the first copy is sold.

    >> Is that what it took to write DOS 1?

    > Certainly not, but that's what it'll take to produce something that
    > can seriously challenge Windoze in the consumer market.

    The criteria given was "write your own operating system". DOS 1 meets that
    criteria.

    PS: Your krillfile is fucked, you lame-brained fucktard.

    Balsamorhiza Agalactiae Capri, Jan 28, 2005